"ODD" THINGS YOU LIKE ABOOUT CRUISING/NCL

havanadaydreaming

I have a couple fairly peculiar things I enjoy when cruising.  how about y'all? 

*I absolutely LOVE tracking the ship's location on the cabin TV.  Sadly, Carnival does this better than NCL, more detailed information about location and the identification of islands nearby. As I become a more seasoned cruiser I have a pretty good idea where we are at and which islands are which, but when I was a newbie I was really interested in learning the names of the islands I could see from my balcony. 

*I enjoy the art auction.  I find it fascinating what some people will spend and how many pieces they will wind up purchasing.  (the "champagne" sucks, however. ha!)

*on land I despise buffets, on NCL I absolutely love them.  when they're not crowded I enjoy them even more than the MDR, I think. 

• I love standing up and walking away from restaurants without paying. Not having to wait for a bill is the best!
  • I love the gentle rocking of the ship when I am sleeping on nights with rough sea.
  • I love that I can order every dessert instead of having dinner, and nobody gives me judging looks.
  • I love the weird cruise ship paparazzi, and the surprise of going through photos at the end of the cruise, that I didn't even recall being taken.
  • I love the salty pool water, and the kids love the additional buoyancy, as it helps them swim.
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE having a room steward. As a mom, the complete lack of work is the best vacation, for me. 🙂

• Like 3

A weird thing I do most days on NCL is go to the late night snack buffet when I am nice and buzzed and craving salt. I get a slice of "questionable pizza" and some tortilla chips with cheese and chili. Really hits the spot after a little too much use of the UBP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LOL, agreed on the late night snack.  And speaking of late nights, that is my like.  On most cruises I've been on EXCEPT NCL, the parties end around 12am.  But NCL's parties can go til 2-3am, which is both great and not great depending on if you have a 7am excursion the next day.  🤪

I also pretty much leave my TV on the Navigation channel and yes the music is def hit or miss. 

48 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I too love the Navigation channel! But when we are getting ready in the morning, I like to have the Bow Cam channel on, because they play the WEIRDEST music ever on that channel and we we get multiple good laughs out of it every morning.

Man, I was reluctant to admit this...glad there is another bird of a feather on the open seas. 

My wife LOVES to sleep in and I find it irresistible not to turn on the bow channel to wake here up.  usually with "what is THAT music" comment thrown back at me.   ha!

40 minutes ago, PRgymnast said:

LOL, agreed on the late night snack.  And speaking of late nights, that is my like.  On most cruises I've been on EXCEPT NCL, the parties end around 12am.  But NCL's parties can go til 2-3am, which is both great and not great depending on if you have a 7am excursion the next day.  🤪

I also pretty much leave my TV on the Navigation channel and yes the music is def hit or miss. 

That is the best thing about NCL, even on ships like the Dawn. Between O'sheehan's and Bliss Lounge, the party can go on even until 3 a.m. I only do it once or twice a cruise, but it always is a blast!

For some reason I always become obsessed with one or two food items from the breakfast buffet and eat them every day of the cruise (along with whatever else I get). My first cruise it was  salmon mousse, last cruise it was chocolate croissants and muesli. I can't wait to discover my new obsession in January!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jonslola said:

For some reason I always become obsessed with one or two food items from the breakfast buffet and eat them every day of the cruise (along with whatever else I get). My first cruise it was  salmon mousse, last cruise it was chocolate croissants and muesli. I can't wait to discover my new obsession in January!

I find I do this with breakfast as well...and then of course with the UBP......one time on the Epic it was Miami Vice all week, the next one was Jaegermeister rotating with Blue Moon, the next was Dirty Shirleys.....it will be interesting in a week to see where I land this time. 🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jonslola said:

Mine is the French toast...  Every. Single. Morning.  And I'm sure it's not even that good on land but something about it on the cruise...

And lunch, I always have to get hot dogs a few times at the buffet during a cruise.  I'm not even a big fan of hot dogs but on a cruise...  It's a must.

• Like 1

- the O’Sheehans (and equivalent) late night pubbing

- the theme parties (80s, disco, etc) are really always a highlight of my trips

- Love the studio cabins and single traveller program (can’t forget those)

- I like the videographer that goes around the ship and takes clips of people at parties and events and then seeing everyone you knew (including yourself) on the TV recap later

- overall, the general demographic of NCL is just really my style

- I like that you have the option of changing your daily service charge

- yes, the navigation and bridge channels are interesting, as is the chime before announcements and always struggling to hear them 

• Like 1

"First Dinner"  the light meal you grab in the buffet before you get dressed for dinner.

Butler snacks:  if you stay in a suite, when you come back to your room in the afternoon, the butler will have left you a little plate of tiny sandwiches or cheese and fruit, and or cookies and or a fruit bowl.  It's always fun to see what you got!

Walking laps at night on the upper decks or on the promenade...watching the moon glow across the ocean, battling the gale force winds the ship generates.

Having the bartender recognize me and remember my drink.

Being welcomed back to the ship after a hot beach day with a cool eucalyptus scented cloth and a cold glass of water.

• Like 3

* The washy washy guys--the song sticks in my head and makes me happy! I would start singing it when folks were getting mad about the littlest of things(Also the Wakey wakey bakey bakey girls LOL).

*People watching.....I love to sit in the lounges near public access ways and watch folks....better than the games they play.

*Noticing that I run into the same people over and over yet didnt see some from embarkation......my first NCL was on the Bliss with 4000 plus folks....

*The meeting of the minds---a group of folks we met and started to hang out with-debating things Who  prepaid tipping, excursions, karaoke, which bartender makes the best drinks, in room coffee--do it or not!

*Looking for workers from America------found a few

*Wondering why the Cigar room has no ventilation

*Who was up late and seeing if they are up early (or just getting in??)

*Analyzing the differences in food from the specialty restaurants to buffet

*wondering who comes up with the stuff on the daily cruise agenda....I question the thought our cruise director put into it!  Id make up stuff and say it around people--getting a chuckle or two and one asked..."So where is guess her weight anyway??"

4 hours ago, Jonslola said:

Oh I FORGOT about the muesli!   We’re on the Breakaway in December and now I’m ready for it. I just LOVE that stuff!

• Like 1