Water slide removal Norwegian Jewel 2018 refurbishment

LockwoodGrace

NCL have removed the water slide from the Jewel during the recent 2018 dry dock refurb to make way for a more relaxing atmosphere by the pool. But what about the families that booked knowing their kids would enjoy the slide.

Have read posts on cruise critic about other NCL ships losing the slide during a refurb and some saying that the yellow slide wasn't the best and outdated.

If this was the case, why not upgrade the slide instead of taking it away! Or create a small water park.

As an adult I enjoy going on the slides. Have been on a cruise without a slide and it's just not as enjoyable for the young ones as well.

Very disappointed!

https://www.ncl.com/au/en/travel-blog/norwegian-jewel-dry-dock-2018-ship-renovation-details

Really? It was a lame atttraction that needed to go. I can’t believe that someone would choose to go on the Jewel because it had that slide. 

If it was the Bliss then I would say fair enough. But not the yellow peril on the Jewel class ships.

Besides, each of the Jewel class ships prior have had the slide removed. It was always going to happen in this instance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ronin23 said:

Really? It was a lame atttraction that needed to go. I can’t believe that someone would choose to go on the Jewel because it had that slide. 

If it was the Bliss then I would say fair enough. But not the yellow peril on the Jewel class ships.

Besides, each of the Jewel class ships prior have had the slide removed. It was always going to happen in this instance.

I'm don't know how lame it was, as I havem't been on it.

I didn't choose the Jewel for the slide but for the itinery. The slide is for the children, there aren't a lot of outdoor activities for the children...mainly indoor only.

30 minutes ago, Ronin23 said:

I don't know how lame the slide was, as I haven't been on it.

I didn't choose the Jewel for the slide but for the itinery. The slide is for the children, there aren't a lot of outdoor activities for the children...mainly indoor only.

Edited by LockwoodGrace

I have been on those pathetic slides  - I got stuck!

My son said they were no good at all.

We sat and watched kids going down half way and then walking the rest of the way to water. And then they don’t use it anymore.

The slides are so old and weatherbeaten so how would they upgrade them? They just take up the precious deck space, doing nothing.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1

We were on the Transpacific - Vancouver to Tokyo - 2nd to last cruise prior to drydock.   On our final night it was quite warm - so a couple of us decided to do a quick circuit of the pools & hot tubs...   starting w/ the slide.   Glad we had a little fun b/4 they removed it 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

I have been on those pathetic slides  - I got stuck!

My son said they were no good at all.

We sat and watched kids going down half way and then walking the rest of the way to water. And then they don’t use it anymore.

The slides are so old and weatherbeaten so how would they upgrade them? They just take up the precious deck space, doing nothing.

Maybe upgrade was the wrong choice of words, they should've replaced the old weatherbeaten slide (as you have described it) with a new water slide. 

Is it the Jewel that you and your son have been on or a sister ship? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Von & John said:

We were on the Transpacific - Vancouver to Tokyo - 2nd to last cruise prior to drydock.   On our final night it was quite warm - so a couple of us decided to do a quick circuit of the pools & hot tubs...   starting w/ the slide.   Glad we had a little fun b/4 they removed it 😜

Glad you had fun on it. Is the slide as bad as what some are saying on this thread? 

9 hours ago, LockwoodGrace said:

NCL have removed the water slide from the Jewel during the recent 2018 dry dock refurb to make way for a more relaxing atmosphere by the pool. But what about the families that booked knowing their kids would enjoy the slide.

Have read posts on cruise critic about other NCL ships losing the slide during a refurb and some saying that the yellow slide wasn't the best and outdated.

If this was the case, why not upgrade the slide instead of taking it away! Or create a small water park.

As an adult I enjoy going on the slides. Have been on a cruise without a slide and it's just not as enjoyable for the young ones as well.

Very disappointed!

https://www.ncl.com/au/en/travel-blog/norwegian-jewel-dry-dock-2018-ship-renovation-details

I really can't believe anyone would be that upset about the removable of a slide? I am sure many guests do enjoy the slide, but it would not have any effect on how much fun a cruise is for anyone I wouldn't think and I doubt many choose a cruise based on a slide, with or wihtout kids or many kids will feel cheated because they thought there would be a slide. 

9 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I really can't believe anyone would be that upset about the removable of a slide? I am sure many guests do enjoy the slide, but it would not have any effect on how much fun a cruise is for anyone I wouldn't think and I doubt many choose a cruise based on a slide, with or wihtout kids or many kids will feel cheated because they thought there would be a slide. 

Thanks for your comment.

Just to be clear, I didn't choose the Norwegian Jewel for the waterslide but for the amazing itinery. The itinery worked for me and the slide was a bonus especially for those families traveling with young children,  no matter what the slide is like. From what I can tell, there aren't a lot of outdoor activities for the children.

In my opinion a ship without a slide or waterpark is gearing itself towards a different market. 

• Like 2

My 11 year old son and I are going on the Jewel in July.

He will be disappointed that there is no water slide but I'm not sure it's a big deal in the summer in Alaska.

As others have said the water slide isn't the reason I booked the cruise.  I'm not paying a fortune to have my son go on a water slide on a cruise. i'm paying a fortune to see glaciers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Von & John said:

We are doing the TP Tokyo to Vancouver in May. Not too much info out there on it, esp. the Russia stop.  Do you mind if I ask what you did there?

Sorry for the hijack. 

1 hour ago, LinnieRed said:

We are doing the TP Tokyo to Vancouver in May. Not too much info out there on it, esp. the Russia stop.  Do you mind if I ask what you did there?

Sorry for the hijack. 

Are you doing Petroplovask ??? And yes I am pretty sure I am spelling that wrong ....this is a short video of our stop there ...we had nothing planned so we just got off and walked around 

3 hours ago, Jldevlin said:

Are you doing Petroplovask ??? And yes I am pretty sure I am spelling that wrong ....this is a short video of our stop there ...we had nothing planned so we just got off and walked around 

Thanks for the video. It looks like there’s not really much to do or see there, but will be glad to get off the boat and stretch our legs and walk around like you did. Was it called? 

13 hours ago, LockwoodGrace said:

Glad you had fun on it. Is the slide as bad as what some are saying on this thread? 

The slide was old & worn.  I can understand others frustration w/ the equipment.

As a life-long water rat...  I didn't have any troubles w/ keeping the momentum going by accelerating w/ my hands.  Terry had some challenges on the first couple of runs (including stopping) - but then I showed him the solution... 

Our spur of the moment obstacle course of slides, pools & hot tubs was quite fun & a great memory...  Happy we did it 🙃

This was the only time I used the pools on this trip.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LockwoodGrace said:

Very disappointed!

You could always try to sue NCL.😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LinnieRed said:

Sorry for the hijack. 

Linnie  --

Petropavlovsk was an enjoyable surprise.  The Kamchatka Peninsula is beautiful.  We did a private tour w/ others from our Roll Call.  Someone else booked it & we joined in...  The young peeps were quite fluent in English.   Here's information I have cut & paste from our roll call, regarding our Petropavlovsk tour:

September 29th - Petropavlosk

10:45 - Pick up at port, transport to museum

11:00 - Local Lore Museum

12:00 - 15:00 - City sightseeing (Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Nikolskaya Hill, Visit Free Market and souvenir shop)

15:00 - 16:00 - Return to port

Included - Transportation, English Speaking Guide, Museum entrance

Not Included - Lunch, Personal Expenses, Other expenses not mentioned

Prices:

2 pax - $155 ea

4 pax - $85 ea

6 pax - $70 ea

8 pax - $55 ea

The Company is KamchatinTour

In addition - after the tour - we were able to wander the waterfront area & enjoy Russian brewed beer.

15 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Linnie  --

Petropavlovsk was an enjoyable surprise.  The Kamchatka Peninsula is beautiful.  We did a private tour w/ others from our Roll Call.  Someone else booked it & we joined in...  The young peeps were quite fluent in English.   Here's information I have cut & paste from our roll call, regarding our Petropavlovsk tour:

September 29th - Petropavlosk

10:45 - Pick up at port, transport to museum

11:00 - Local Lore Museum

12:00 - 15:00 - City sightseeing (Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Nikolskaya Hill, Visit Free Market and souvenir shop)

15:00 - 16:00 - Return to port

Included - Transportation, English Speaking Guide, Museum entrance

Not Included - Lunch, Personal Expenses, Other expenses not mentioned

Prices:

2 pax - $155 ea

4 pax - $85 ea

6 pax - $70 ea

8 pax - $55 ea

The Company is KamchatinTour

In addition - after the tour - we were able to wander the waterfront area & enjoy Russian brewed beer.

Thank you for this information. I am going to contact the company and then see if I can generate any interest from our extremely small roll call! 

Edited by LinnieRed

Hi LinnieRed, 

We are booked on the same TA in May too! Would certainly be interested to join in for this Petropavlovsk tour. Kindly note our interest if you are putting a group together. We are a party of 2, possibly a 3rd person may join. 

Just got back from a cruise on the NCL Bliss so looking forward to my next! :)

5 hours ago, Bernice_sydney said:

Hi LinnieRed, 

We are booked on the same TA in May too! Would certainly be interested to join in for this Petropavlovsk tour. Kindly note our interest if you are putting a group together. We are a party of 2, possibly a 3rd person may join. 

Just got back from a cruise on the NCL Bliss so looking forward to my next! 🙂

Great! Have you joined our roll call? Once I hear from the tour company I will post the info there and get confirmations from people. 

23 hours ago, Jldevlin said:

Thank you for sharing this video.  Interesting.