Christmas Ornaments

GORDONCHICK

I began collecting ornaments of places we'd been. I decided to start a collection for our son who is four. He remembers our vacations fondly and loves his little tree (3'). Also, when he's grown he will already have quite a collection of sentimental ornaments.

I, too, like to pick up Christmas ornaments from places we have been. On occasion when I could not find an ornament or they just didn't sell ornaments, I purchase a pretty keychain and hang that on the tree. Comes with it's own hanger, too.

oo i like this idea-- Im gonna take it too --thanks.

I couldnt find nothing last cruise in port--imthinking belize-- now Im sure I coulda found a key ring

Another couple went with us on an "adventure cab tour" in Trinidad. After we had negotiated with a driver for what we wanted, we walked to his "cab" and was shocked by what we saw. It was a very small, white 4 door car. The car had 3 white doors and one blue door. It was in a very "used" condition and needed lots of body work. Then we opened the doors and it needed lots of interior help too. The driver (David) insisited it was reliable, the five of us crammed in, and off we went. The entire day was an absolute blast and I can remember so many memorable moments from the entire day. (Too many to bore you with) Anyway, when we got home I found matchbox like cars that were the same model as David's car. Of course I bought white ones, I banged them up a little and then painted one door blue. I marked the cruise date on it, put a ribbon hanger on it and mailed one to our friends and put one on our Christmas tree. Each year we re-live our time with David as we hang that "ornament" on our tree. I've had to be creative with other islands too, but that's half the fun trying to figure out what will best represent my time on that island.

• 3 weeks later...

I also try and buy an ornament at every port we go to. I try to stay with the nautical theme, but sometimes it's hard to do that.

I have found many of the same type of ornament, a little boat or sailboat with the name of the island on it. I really don't care if they are the same type boats as long as it has the name of the island on it.

I was just in Cozumel in Decembe and went to Cinco de Sol (spell ?). It's a wonderful store, but couldn't find a nautical ornament. I wound up getting one of their tradition clay ornaments, but choose nice Caribbean colors.

I'm glad there are others out there with the same sentiments. I like the idea of the keychain. If you didn't want the keychain part, you could take it off and add a ribbon. Just a thought.

I'm building a new home and I just can't wait to set up a small "cruising" Xmas tree in the upstairs reading room.

Happy cruising.

PS: I need an Aruba ornament and I'm heading that way in April on my Panama Canal cruise.

• 5 months later...

I started collecting those little gold ornaments that are sold on the ships with the name on the ship (they are 3D cut out) and the ship on them. They are $5.00 each and I have 9 out of 10 of the ships I have sailed on. I found it's neat that the ship style is very close to the actual ship shape (Legend is longer and slim as opposed to the Imagination is smaller). These are non breakable and I look forward to adding more in the near future.

I am really wishing now I would have bought the Elation ornament I had in my hand in April, for some dumb reason I put it back. :( Just have to wait and one day it will be on Ebay as well as the Celebration I now want. BUT, if they have them on Ecstasy in April 2007 I will for sure have that one! :D

• 2 weeks later...

We've been collecting Christmas tree ornaments from places we've travelled to for about 12 years. Every year we put up a separate tree and put just our travel ornaments on it. We call it our "travel tree". It's really nice because you relive all the great memories of your trip, but they don't really collect dust because they're not up long enough.

Rose

We've been collecting Christmas tree ornaments from places we've travelled to for about 12 years. Every year we put up a separate tree and put just our travel ornaments on it. We call it our "travel tree". It's really nice because you relive all the great memories of your trip, but they don't really collect dust because they're not up long enough.

Rose

Oh I love that ...

• 1 month later...
I, too, like to pick up Christmas ornaments from places we have been. On occasion when I could not find an ornament or they just didn't sell ornaments, I purchase a pretty keychain and hang that on the tree. Comes with it's own hanger, too.
Great Idea. I recently purchased an ornament in Bermuda made of shells, and took a sharpie to the back to put place and date.

I began collecting ornaments of places we'd been. I decided to start a collection for our son who is four. He remembers our vacations fondly and loves his little tree (3'). Also, when he's grown he will already have quite a collection of sentimental ornaments.

My Godmother gave me ornaments for every Christmas and birthday. I was started off with quite a collection and now that she is no longer with us, it means all the more to me.

• 2 months later...
I am really wishing now I would have bought the Elation ornament I had in my hand in April, for some dumb reason I put it back. :(

I did the same thing on the Victory and Triumph this year. I wanted the ones that look like the ship.

Anyone going soon that would pick one up for me??? :D

If it matters, I have a 100% satisfaction rating on ebay!

We also have "travel trees" and have lots of fun looking for unique ornaments when on vacation. My children always save their sail & sign cards, soda cards, forgotten room keys, etc. When we get home I just punch a hole in the card and attach a ribbon. They're actually kinda cute!

• 5 months later...

Another idea too that I do is safe something from the island such as in San Pedro Belize I got a coin for change for a beer and the coin was a Belize coin with a ship on it. It is now my belize magnent... :) Lots of ideas but now I find anything from the island and put a few things together with hot glue and a botton magnent on the back and voila! :) I have lots of the magnents they sell but after a bunch of cruises I have figured that this might be more fun... :) It would be the same to make an ornament. Have fun all! Debbie

We have been travelling around since we were married in 1973 and I have been collecting little ornaments for my Xmas tree since then. It is lovely every year to hang them on the tree and remember where we were when we bought each one. I also have a ball for each member of the family with their name on. (I have done the key chain thing too and have a little Eiffel tower and Crown from London that look great hanging on the tree)

We did a three month world tour last year and I have little things from each place. These items don't weigh a lot and don't take up much room, so it is an ideal way to remember your travels. :)

I started a separate "travel tree" this year, too, and just loved it! For the op, Gordonchick, you should take photos of all the ornaments you are collecting for your son.......put them in a small 6x6 scrapbook with the stories of where you got them. That will be a great keepsake for you when your son leaves home with his ornaments!

Libby

• 3 weeks later...
My Godmother gave me ornaments for every Christmas and birthday. I was started off with quite a collection and now that she is no longer with us, it means all the more to me.

I'm very pleased to read that. I'm a godmother, and have given my goddaughter dated Christmas ornaments every year since she was born. I hope she will remember me fondly too! :o

• 4 weeks later...
I am really wishing now I would have bought the Elation ornament I had in my hand in April, for some dumb reason I put it back. :( Just have to wait and one day it will be on Ebay as well as the Celebration I now want. BUT, if they have them on Ecstasy in April 2007 I will for sure have that one! :D

I was about to start a thread regarding Christmas oraments when I found this one! We've been on a couple cruises already, and hadn't thought about ornaments before.

This weekend we put our final payment on our cruise on the Elation in September. This also happened to be the weekend Hallmark debuted this year's ornaments (and we bought this year's Star Trek ship ornament as always), and we got to wondering if there were cruise ship ornaments?

There's some great ideas here (like the keychains). Does anyone know if the Elation still has the above-mentioned ornament? And do any of the other cruise lines do ornaments?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard, most of the cruise lines do sell ornaments; some are the gold tone metal typ while others are ships with the name upon it. It is usually hit or miss if they have stock onboard your cruise.

I was just on the NCL Majesty and they did not have a Majesty ornament but a few from other ships in their fleet. On the new Emerald which set sail on April 11 for its inagural, they did not have any ornaments for sale that I saw.

Bon Voyage

Richard, most of the cruise lines do sell ornaments; some are the gold tone metal typ while others are ships with the name upon it. It is usually hit or miss if they have stock onboard your cruise.

I was just on the NCL Majesty and they did not have a Majesty ornament but a few from other ships in their fleet. On the new Emerald which set sail on April 11 for its inagural, they did not have any ornaments for sale that I saw.

Bon Voyage

Thanks for the information, we'll definately be on the lookout from here on out for ornaments. :)

• 1 month later...

I collect Xmas ornaments from my travels too and have quite a lot now including the gold cut out ships from cruises, an eifel tower with santa climbing it, an enamel bear from china, satin heart on ribbon from Verona,Italy, a red apple bell from New York, and a clear ball ornament with sand and shells from Hawaii. I love my tree each year and the memories come flooding back all over again as I hang each travel ornament.I also collect fridge magnets but thats another story......

Archived