New Miami Terminal

ramja96

Pretty funny posts but disappointing the thread is too much about someone who doesn't like looking at the POM yet is likely going on a cruise to some POS slum like Colon Panama, or an excursion to a dump community in the poorest section of the Caribbean. 

I'm more interested in the logistics of port arrival and leaving.  It used to be a real problem with the draw bridge but now I see we have a tunnel and a streamlined process for getting from Miami to the ship.  I like that!  Plus for those who are upset by the commercial sea port, think of it this way- all that cargo is what makes our economy sing.  And the location has to be deep water channels and be happy the POM has that in place.  It's an excellent location!

To those who posted your embarkation experiences, I thank you as I will be leaving tomorrow for a the 8 day SOS cruise.  I hope to park at Terminal A but I am concerned that the parking garage isn't big enough for all the cars from all the ships. We had one bad experience where the garage was full and had to scramble for off site parking and shuttle at the last minute once.   Been watching the webcams and it appears to be filling up to the top level each day.  So, while some here are upset looking at a typical port, I am concerned that RCI undersized the Parking Garage at Terminal A for these larger class ships.   

Anyway, hope to read more constructive posts here about logistics and not complaints on the visual location.  

Edited by MaryAnn&Don
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, MaryAnn&Don said:

I hope to park at Terminal A but I am concerned that the parking garage isn't big enough for all the cars from all the ships.

Only Symphony and Allure passengers would park there (maybe some smaller RCI ships) - you need to have faith that RCI knew what it was doing when sizing and pricing the garage.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

^ I'm not sure you can go by the one sailing so far - it was a short sailing where more folks are likely to drive/park - less likely on the more usual weekly sailings. If really needed, one could use Terminal G garage but it would be awfully long walk to the ship.

2 hours ago, TheTruthCanHurt said:

I think we get it. you don't want to sail out of Miami.  But why are you so angry????  maybe you should take a break for a minute

Nobody's angry.  

A few have made their point clear that anyone who doesn't find everything Royal Caribbean does as perfect must be angry, a troll, or some other negative label. Per your namesake - the truth can hurt, and apparently some folks who make excuses for this debacle of a port location can't handle the truth.

The site is called Cruise Critic, not Cruise kiss the butts of a cruise line.

I happen to like RCI, and have sailed their fleet numerous times. They have some of the finest cruise ships out there, and their loyalty program (for the most part) is quite good. 

But some folks need a reality check. Not everything RCI does is right, ideal, or perfect. Folks have a right not to accept all their decisions on face value, nor agree to everything they say or promote.

Agree or disagree...but the name calling, insults, and condescending attitudes promote the debate, not clarify anything for it.

Happy sailing.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

FYI- Terminal A has been busy with a ship every day except one for the past week since opening.  Twice the top level was full by 3PM.  The port webcam had zoomed in on it so I had a good view.   The new terminal allows Royal to expand their number of ships now.  Thanks for the info on the Terminal G.  I will keep that in mind but likely I will opt for the busy arrival in the AM and the traffic at 10-11AM as the garage seemed to be least packed at that time.  

29 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Folks have a right not to accept all their decisions on face value, nor agree to everything they say or promote.

And in usual CC fashion, posters will ridicule some posts which diverge greatly from the consensus.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

^ I'm not sure you can go by the one sailing so far - it was a short sailing where more folks are likely to drive/park - less likely on the more usual weekly sailings. If really needed, one could use Terminal G garage but it would be awfully long walk to the ship.

Is it even possible to walk between terminals? Right now there's a lot of road construction happening. I didn't see a sidewalk.

• Like 1

Reading this thread has me a little concerned.  Not about the view, I will have 9 glorious days to see the beautiful Caribbean.

I had planned to park at a lot near whatever terminal we sail from.  DH has some mobility issues so long walks are a concern.

We will be on the Navigator and wonder which terminal and which parking lot.

Can I find out ahead of departure date?

Oh, we will be leaving on a Friday.

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, luvscruising2007 said:

Reading this thread has me a little concerned.  Not about the view, I will have 9 glorious days to see the beautiful Caribbean.

I had planned to park at a lot near whatever terminal we sail from.  DH has some mobility issues so long walks are a concern.

We will be on the Navigator and wonder which terminal and which parking lot.

Can I find out ahead of departure date?

Oh, we will be leaving on a Friday.

Thanks,

Your cruise eDocs will tell you what terminal the ship will be at and when you should arrive.  At POM, RCCL is using both Terminal J and A.  Both have their own parking garages.  Terminal J is the older one and the garage is across the street.  Been there and it isn't far at all.  Terminal A has the Parking garage in the Terminal itself.  

33 minutes ago, MaryAnn&Don said:

Your cruise eDocs will tell you what terminal the ship will be at and when you should arrive.  At POM, RCCL is using both Terminal J and A.  Both have their own parking garages.  Terminal J is the older one and the garage is across the street.  

I don't remember the docs ever mentioning the specific terminal. Is this a recent change for terminal J - it has been G (the only closest to the city) for many years. G is the one with the garage across the street. J is the really small one right next to RCCL HQ, but is only used by real small ships.

Edited by Biker19

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

Is it even possible to walk between terminals? Right now there's a lot of road construction happening. I didn't see a sidewalk.

That probably changes by the day depending on construction - I assume eventually there'll be a sidewalk.

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That probably changes by the day depending on construction - I assume eventually there'll be a sidewalk.

39 minutes ago, MaryAnn&Don said:

Your cruise eDocs will tell you what terminal the ship will be at and when you should arrive.  At POM, RCCL is using both Terminal J and A.  Both have their own parking garages.  Terminal J is the older one and the garage is across the street.  Been there and it isn't far at all.  Terminal A has the Parking garage in the Terminal itself.  

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I don't remember the docs ever mentioning the specific terminal. Is this a recent change for terminal J - it has been G (the only closest to the city) for many years. G is the one with the garage across the street. J is the really small one right next to RCCL HQ, but is only used by real small ships.

I checked my e-docs but they list POM as terminal.  Looks like I will have to wait until day of departure.  

Thanks for the responses.

I don't know of many ports that do not have a view of shipping containers somewhere. I don't think there are many ports built just for cruise ships and do not allow other types of shipping. I think the biggest detractor of Miami is the relatively high cost of flights to there and off port parking.

• Like 1

I just received this by email from Royal Caribbean:

Dear Donald:

As a Diamond Plus member, you'll receive exclusive benefits and privileges on your upcoming voyage, including:

• Priority Check In & Complimentary Water: Enjoy priority boarding & two bottles of complimentary water in your stateroom upon arrival.

• Onboard Offers: Be sure to reference the Welcome Letter in your stateroom on embarkation day to view the great onboard offers for shopping; Vitality
SM Day Spa, Internet Café, and other activities.

• Lounge Access: Enjoy exclusive access to the Diamond Club where you can relax and mingle with other Crown & Anchor Society members.

• Nightly Happy Hour: Enjoy three complimentary drink vouchers during the nightly happy hour (times vary by ship).

• NextCruise Bonus: Up to $600 onboard credit or dollars off. Plus, only $100 per person deposits on select fares when you book your next cruise onboard. Visit the NextCruise Office for details.

• Balcony & Suite Discounts: Book your next cruise onboard in a Balcony or Suite stateroom and enjoy savings; combine this offer with the Next Cruise Bonus and save more!

Thank you for your continued loyalty and have a wonderful voyage!

On the eDocs, I stand corrected-  I got the info as an email telling me to go to Terminal A awhile back.  

Dear Guest, 

We can’t wait to welcome you to our new, state-of-the art Terminal A at PortMiami. You’ll be amongst the first to experience the stunning architecture, new boarding experience, and an impressive gold propeller that is 15,000 lbs. and 56 ft. tall! Here are some helpful tips for boarding.

spacer.gif

check_in.jpg

spacer.gif

• Use the Royal Caribbean App to check-in. Download it on the App Store or Google Play or go to royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin
  • Online check-in remains open 72 hours prior to your departure.
  • Once checked-in, print or save your SetSail Pass for your party. Having your SetSail Pass allows you to skip the check-in counters!

spacer.gif

AT THE TERMINAL

• If you're parking at Terminal A, we’ll receive your luggage and do a quick document check in the garage. If you're being dropped off, we’ll get you squared away at the drop off area.
  • Please keep all your essentials with you - travel documents, SetSail Pass, required identification, medications, and your credit card.
  • Next, take the escalator to the 2nd floor, and present your SetSail Pass to a mobile agent. After a quick document and security check, you'll be onboard.

spacer.gif

ON SITE CHECK-IN

• Didn't complete your online check-in or forgot your SetSail Pass? No worries! Head over to the check-in counter and we’ll take care of you.

spacer.gif

tips_tricks.jpg

spacer.gif

• Our app is where it’s at! Use it to plan your day or find the best place to relax and, the best part, it’s free to use onboard.
  • Be sure to check your SetSail Pass and arrive at your designated check-in appointment time.
  • If you require wheelchair assistance, please contact us at (866) 592-7225, or email us at special_needs@rccl.com.

spacer.gif

Thank you for your patience as we continue to develop new ways to make every moment of your vacation count. We can't wait to have you onboard!

spacer.gif

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

spacer.gif

Royal Caribbean

spacer.gif

App Store

spacer.gif

Google Play

spacer.gif

footer.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MaryAnn&Don said:

Pretty funny posts but disappointing the thread is too much about someone who doesn't like looking at the POM yet is likely going on a cruise to some POS slum like Colon Panama, or an excursion to a dump community in the poorest section of the Caribbean. 

I'm more interested in the logistics of port arrival and leaving.  It used to be a real problem with the draw bridge but now I see we have a tunnel and a streamlined process for getting from Miami to the ship.  I like that!  Plus for those who are upset by the commercial sea port, think of it this way- all that cargo is what makes our economy sing.  And the location has to be deep water channels and be happy the POM has that in place.  It's an excellent location!

To those who posted your embarkation experiences, I thank you as I will be leaving tomorrow for a the 8 day SOS cruise.  I hope to park at Terminal A but I am concerned that the parking garage isn't big enough for all the cars from all the ships. We had one bad experience where the garage was full and had to scramble for off site parking and shuttle at the last minute once.   Been watching the webcams and it appears to be filling up to the top level each day.  So, while some here are upset looking at a typical port, I am concerned that RCI undersized the Parking Garage at Terminal A for these larger class ships.   

Anyway, hope to read more constructive posts here about logistics and not complaints on the visual location.  

Thank you...on point!

A previous post in this thread asked about Uber/Lyft at the terminal and I didn't see an answer. We are planning to use Uber to get from our Miami Beach hotel to our Allure cruise in January and then Uber to the airport after the cruise. Any recommendations for or against this plan?

3 minutes ago, BillHana said:

A previous post in this thread asked about Uber/Lyft at the terminal and I didn't see an answer. We are planning to use Uber to get from our Miami Beach hotel to our Allure cruise in January and then Uber to the airport after the cruise. Any recommendations for or against this plan?

Try the Florida Departures forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

18 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Last Friday (a week ago) there wasn't a road. There was a single lane being controlled by a flagman for the 6000 TA Symphony cruisers to exit the terminal and 6000 Pre-Inaugural cruisers to enter the terminal. 

On Tuesday, there were taxis and Uber/Lyft at the terminal. But, if it was like 4 days before, it took 30 minutes to get from the entrance (by the NCL Terminal B) to the pick-up curb. We took a regular flat rate Taxi to MIA. We left our stateroom at 6:50 and were at the curb at MIA by 7:30. 

On 11/17/2018 at 7:38 AM, BillHana said:

we used Uber to and from Terminal A on 11/12-11/16 Mariner cruise. No problems really, the Terminal A is not yet a destination in the Uber app so I just listed the Port and there was a choice that had the "driving" line past the Terminal so I thought it was fair to the driver and picked that. As for pickup I had to place my location mark where I was standing in the ride sharing area of Terminal A and I made sure to send a text to the driver that I was at "the new Terminal A" and although both drivers clearly had never been there neither had any issues. We got the Uber in less than 10 minutes after calling it on the curb of the terminal and there were tons and tons of Uber and Lyft vehicles constantly picking up and dropping off. No issues at all.

• Like 2

We used the new terminal for Allure 11/11-11/18. Inside the terminal was great. Very quick boarding and disembarking. Outside OTOH was a nightmare. Luckily we used Uber instead of a taxi to the port. It took over 30 minutes from Holiday  Inn POM to the terminal. Traffic was at a stand still.  I don't understand why they don't have separate areas for departing and returning. There were still hundreds of people with luggage waiting to get picked up when we were getting dropped off. When we got off yesterday morning we needed the shuttle for Budget. There is no separate area for rental shuttles. Just a huge area for all buses of all kinds and you have no way of knowing which Bay the bus you need will be going to.  After walking back and forth several times with tons of luggage through huge crowds I saw the Budget guy sitting in traffic and I ran over and asked him where we needed to be. He said he has no idea, they don't tell them where to go until he pulls in. This is a huge are we're talking about and you can't see all of the Bays from one area. 

Edited by dcgrumpy