New Miami Terminal

ramja96

I'm wondering how the traffic is as far as other ships in port are concerned. We are going to be on the Navigator and when we disembark we have to catch a flight that is a little too early for my comfort zone. We planned on doing self disembark and catching an Uber to MIA. I'm hoping the construction and extra traffic are not going to slow things down for other ships not disembarking from the new terminal A?

I wonder at what time people are getting in the terminal. I went to the terminal on opening day and I notice it has a larger area to drop and pick up passengers compared to port Everglades I don’t have the exact measurement but I believe it’s longer

4 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

I wonder at what time people are getting in the terminal. I went to the terminal on opening day and I notice it has a larger area to drop and pick up passengers compared to port Everglades I don’t have the exact measurement but I believe it’s longer

I got off between 8 and 8:30. Our original tags were for 10-10:30 I requested new ones because I knew it would be a nightmare getting off then with the new guests starting to arrive.

2 hours ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

Just got off the Mariner yesterday. On Friday, no parking in Terminal A! Had to park in G garage with shuttle service back and forth. Terminal itself was beautiful and fastest check in ever!

Thanks for the information.  We will be driving to the port to board the Mariner.

Were you notified of the change in parking area in advance or was Terminal A parking full by the time you arrived?

Edited by beachnative

4 hours ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

No notification! Yes, Terminal A garage full. Several others from the ride back to Garage G on the bus were parked in Garage C and D as well. 

Thanks for the reply.

It is helpful to know that the parking may be inconvenient before we head to the port.  Hopefully there is adequate parking for the Symphony when we return for that sailing.

We are just off the Mariner on Monday.  We were a group of 53 on a charter bus from the other coast.  We pulled into Port Of Miami at 10:35am, the bus driver was a bit confused as to where to go and missed the bus lane that allowed for a better turn, but was able to make the turn and pull into the bus slots with no problem.  We were  greeted by porters that quickly and efficiently unloaded our luggage, carts and dress bags.  We then proceeded as a group across and up to check in and were already in our room groups and each of the room groups chose a line with a agent that had a ipad.  I was in front organizing the lines and ended up at the end closest to the exit to the security line and was the first to the security line.  Check in was a breeze for our group.  Security line had only a few other people in it and moved fast.  A few from our group did get their carry on's searched so the rest of the group proceeded upstairs and waited.  They got the chance to use the restroom and grab some water or juice.  Once the whole group was there we all proceeded on board. Got our seapass paper scanned and then went to the Windjammer for lunch.  We were seated having lunch by 11:30am.  So within a hour, unloaded bus of 53, through check in and security, boarded and having lunch.   

Debarking with 53 went pretty much as smoothly.  Some got off earlier but the majority of the group was downstairs getting their luggage around 8:45am and porters helped with carts of our luggage,  carts and dress bags.  The face scanners were amazing and a few of us had to wait on the agents as some traveled with birth certificates  but even that took only moments.  Because of the size of the majority of our group we were taken into the naughty room so they could use the bigger scanners for our stuff.  We may have been in the room 10 minutes and then we exited and went to wait on our bus.  The whole process may have taken about 30 minutes from getting into line to exit the ship to we were waiting on our bus.  

I seen tons of ubers and lyfts riding around and waiting.  The bus slots are a bit confusing but I am sure they will work out a system once they get the new systems down.   Overall, we were impressed with the boarding and debarking process at the new terminal.  

11 hours ago, beblessed413 said:

We are just off the Mariner on Monday.  We were a group of 53 on a charter bus from the other coast.  We pulled into Port Of Miami at 10:35am, the bus driver was a bit confused as to where to go and missed the bus lane that allowed for a better turn, but was able to make the turn and pull into the bus slots with no problem.  We were  greeted by porters that quickly and efficiently unloaded our luggage, carts and dress bags.  We then proceeded as a group across and up to check in and were already in our room groups and each of the room groups chose a line with a agent that had a ipad.  I was in front organizing the lines and ended up at the end closest to the exit to the security line and was the first to the security line.  Check in was a breeze for our group.  Security line had only a few other people in it and moved fast.  A few from our group did get their carry on's searched so the rest of the group proceeded upstairs and waited.  They got the chance to use the restroom and grab some water or juice.  Once the whole group was there we all proceeded on board. Got our seapass paper scanned and then went to the Windjammer for lunch.  We were seated having lunch by 11:30am.  So within a hour, unloaded bus of 53, through check in and security, boarded and having lunch.   

Debarking with 53 went pretty much as smoothly.  Some got off earlier but the majority of the group was downstairs getting their luggage around 8:45am and porters helped with carts of our luggage,  carts and dress bags.  The face scanners were amazing and a few of us had to wait on the agents as some traveled with birth certificates  but even that took only moments.  Because of the size of the majority of our group we were taken into the naughty room so they could use the bigger scanners for our stuff.  We may have been in the room 10 minutes and then we exited and went to wait on our bus.  The whole process may have taken about 30 minutes from getting into line to exit the ship to we were waiting on our bus.  

I seen tons of ubers and lyfts riding around and waiting.  The bus slots are a bit confusing but I am sure they will work out a system once they get the new systems down.   Overall, we were impressed with the boarding and debarking process at the new terminal.  

Did any of your group have a problem with the new scanner tubs that the new terminal uses? By that I mean, did anyones carry-on not fit in the scanner tub and have to be checked instead?  Still trying to find  out the dimensions of the tubs to make sure my carry-on will fit inside and not have to be checked. 

We got off  the Symphony yesterday,  We used taxis each way.    Arrival was ok, though  the tunnel was closed and the driver had to go the longer alternative way.   Getting on the ship was fast- very impressed.  The bins are like the ones used at the airport though appeared maybe a little larger.  I did not see anyone have any issues.

Getting off was the opposite.  We chose a late departure time- and got 9 am.   We got our bags about 9.15 am using a porter.   My daughter then got detained at  immigration  and that took about 5 min.    However, getting a taxi was somewhat  difficult .  The port moved the taxi  pick up  to the far left.  It had been to the right of the doors before according to our porter. The line was pretty long, and the taxis could not get in because other vehicles blocked the paths.  We finally got a taxi about 10 am.   Our driver told us that many  thought the port was not designed well as  to  pick up and  drop off.   It does still seem a work in progress. 

Also ,on other ships I  have been on early departure was not pushed on people. On the Sympathy, it was encouraged as I think they want people off as soon as possible.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:40 PM, FishOn55 said:

Still trying to find  out the dimensions of the tubs to make sure my carry-on will fit inside and not have to be checked. 

I was concerned of that too but my roller bag- 24" long just fit.  I think 25" may have been too big.  

I completed my first of several videos of our drive into the Terminal A on September 17th to board Symphony.  The traffic was a mess and the signs were not real visible at the turn to Term A, vs Terminal C.  I think most went the wrong way because when we got past that split, there was no traffic to Terminal A.

I used my 3D Dash cam at www.youtube.com/user/DonLandis

There is a 2D version there too.  But, I would say with the construction, the video will be out of date as they fix the route as construction is completed.  

On 11/17/2018 at 9:21 AM, BirdTravels said:

Last Friday (a week ago) there wasn't a road. There was a single lane being controlled by a flagman for the 6000 TA Symphony cruisers to exit the terminal and 6000 Pre-Inaugural cruisers to enter the terminal. 

On Tuesday, there were taxis and Uber/Lyft at the terminal. But, if it was like 4 days before, it took 30 minutes to get from the entrance (by the NCL Terminal B) to the pick-up curb. We took a regular flat rate Taxi to MIA. We left our stateroom at 6:50 and were at the curb at MIA by 7:30. 

How much was the flat rate?

It looks like the taxi and Uber station is to the right as you exit the main building.  Much larger area is the drop off and pickup for buses and cars.  I saw many cars going there first to check bags but you don't have to as there is a baggage check inside the Parking Garage on the second level.  They had a half dozen guys there and they were very fast.  

Once you figure out the pattern it seems to be the most efficient cruise terminal anywhere.  The only issue is the traffic getting past the other terminals to Term A.  

On 11/26/2018 at 3:24 PM, MaryAnn&Don said:

I was concerned of that too but my roller bag- 24" long just fit.  I think 25" may have been too big.  

I completed my first of several videos of our drive into the Terminal A on September 17th to board Symphony.  The traffic was a mess and the signs were not real visible at the turn to Term A, vs Terminal C.  I think most went the wrong way because when we got past that split, there was no traffic to Terminal A.

I used my 3D Dash cam at www.youtube.com/user/DonLandis

There is a 2D version there too.  But, I would say with the construction, the video will be out of date as they fix the route as construction is completed.  

I am reading your reply after I returned from my Symphony cruise on Dec. 1. Thank you for giving the dimensions of your roller bag. I used a smaller bag than I had originally planned (23 in. instead of 25) but as it turned out I didn't have to worry. Since my husband needs a hand security search due to a defibrillator, we were directed to the last scanner which is the old style and doesn't use tubs. This may be an option for those with larger bags. Ask and see if they will allow you to use this one.

Getting to the terminal continues to be a challenge. We had planned to use the tunnel but signage on I-95 said it was closed. We proceeded through downtown Miami to cross the bridge to PortMiami. Unfortunately lots of streets were closed, detours were in place without signage how to proceed.  We finally figured it out but very frustrating. Once over the bridge, we found the terminal information printed on the roadway very helpful to get to A. Once the terminal/parking garage is in view, make sure you are in the very left lane as the garage entrance comes up very fast and is not marked. Look for a ramp and ignore the stop sign at the bottom where you enter. That through is off and we were past it with no way to enter without going through the bottom of the garage and u-turning to re-enter. Porters are on level 2 but do not direct you to stop and check luggage. Consequently, we passed them and parked on level 3. We then just pulled our wheeled luggage to the other side of the garage which was on the down side and checked luggage with them. Not a problem.

Just a note that this garage has 2-way traffic. When you back out of your parking space to leave, make sure you can see exit on the overhead garage signs. If you are parked in the middle of a level, it's hard to tell which way to turn.

Parking is $22 a day. If you wish to pay in cash, you can only do so by the elevator bank before you go to your car. Credit cards are accepted by the attendant as you exit the garage. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any new updates on whether the construction and congestion are progressing. We are sailing on Allure in 4 weeks with a 4 and 6 year old so we would like the embarkation to be as smooth as possible. What time has the terminal been opening for embarkation? Additionally, our departing flight is at 11:00AM so we are nervous about debarkation as well. Still long delays for taxis and Ubers?

• 2 years later...