Boxing/Punching Bag on Riviera?

GeezerCouple

Is there a real "punching bag" (for lack of better name/term) on the Riviera?

I mean the large, heavy bag that hangs down (not the little bag that goes back and forth really fast once hit)?

Apologies:  I don't know the proper names for these.

A few years ago, IIRC, when we were on Riviera, there was one, but it had a sign up "Out of Order".  We didn't inquire further then.

Many thanks.

GC

The proper term is "heavy bag." When I was on the Riviera a year and a half ago, there wasn't one in the gym. Nor was there one on the Marina a few months ago. My guess is that O is afraid people will break their knuckles if they try to use them without boxing gloves on (which actually happens in gyms when people have no idea what they're doing).

28 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

The proper term is "heavy bag." When I was on the Riviera a year and a half ago, there wasn't one in the gym. Nor was there one on the Marina a few months ago. My guess is that O is afraid people will break their knuckles if they try to use them without boxing gloves on (which actually happens in gyms when people have no idea what they're doing).

Okay, thanks.

Unless we hear otherwise from someone more recent, that will be our answer.

DH would bring his boxing gloves along, but they take up so much room, if he can't use them, no point in trying to find room for them.

And thanks for the lesson on terminology.

I had no idea what "it" was really called. :classic_blush:

GC

You're correct that boxing gloves, though light in weight, would take up an excessive amount of space in your luggage, which is another reason why most cruise ship gyms don't have heavy bags. In theory, the cruise line could provide a pair of gloves in the gym for anyone to use, but would you want to put on a pair of sweaty gloves someone else just used? Me neither!

2 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

You're correct that boxing gloves, though light in weight, would take up an excessive amount of space in your luggage, which is another reason why most cruise ship gyms don't have heavy bags. In theory, the cruise line could provide a pair of gloves in the gym for anyone to use, but would you want to put on a pair of sweaty gloves someone else just used? Me neither!

+1

I've learned an astonishing amount about these bags and why some suffer from a relentless need to punch them 😇

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Okay, thanks.

Unless we hear otherwise from someone more recent, that will be our answer.

DH would bring his boxing gloves along, but they take up so much room, if he can't use them, no point in trying to find room for them.

And thanks for the lesson on terminology.

I had no idea what "it" was really called. :classic_blush:

GC

I find it somewhat curious that your DH owns a pair of boxing gloves and apparently uses “it” but doesn’t know what “it” is actually called 😄

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I find it somewhat curious that your DH owns a pair of boxing gloves and apparently uses “it” but doesn’t know what “it” is actually called 😄

First of all, HE does the boxing, so I've never needed to know much about it at all.

At least I know enough to know he uses boxing "gloves", even though they seem to be made more like mittens. :classic_wacko:

Anyway, he doesn't use a heavy bag or any bag at all.

He "uses" our personal trainer, but we haven't yet decided to bring him along with us on cruises. 

It would have been an opportunity for DH to continue some of that upper body workout, although the "bag" would be less interactive (I certainly hope).

GC

• Thanks 1