Short port time in Victoria B.C.

Anyislandwilldo

Looking to book a cruise to Alaska but I see that Carnival has changed the itineraries so that we arrive in Victoria BC at 7:30 at night.  Sure does not give you much time to do anything in port.  Our last Alaskan cruise we arrived at 10 AM and went to the Buchart Gardens.  Would love to do this again but can't with such a late arrival.  Anyone know why such a short port time?

Not sure if I can explain this very well but will try. Due to laws that won't allow foreign flagged ships from stopping in all US ports they must stop in at least one foreign port. This stop is normally very short. They  do this also for the Hawaiian Cruises. I guess do to port charges and the ship could be making money while at sea they have reduced the time in port. 

4 minutes ago, coevan said:

When we cruised Alaska, we had a day in Canada Many guests were surprised they could not disembark without a passport, although it was clearly listed by Carnival on the booking info. 

LOL.  Next time I visit the US I'll come without a passport and see what they tell me.... not sure why that's a surprise.  😛 

This is probably more anecdotal than anything, but it seems like Carnival's last Alaska sailing for the season is the one that gets a full day in Victoria. All others are the stop-and-go variety to satisfy the stop in a foreign port requirement.

14 minutes ago, joepeka said:

This is probably more anecdotal than anything, but it seems like Carnival's last Alaska sailing for the season is the one that gets a full day in Victoria. All others are the stop-and-go variety to satisfy the stop in a foreign port requirement.

No cruise in the 2019 or 2020 seasons is in Victoria for a full day.  There was at least one cruise in the 2018 season that was in Victoria for a full day.

The first cruise out of Seattle in 2017 was an 8 day that was in Victoria from 10:00am - 10:00pm.  Two days before that, it was in Ketchikan from 10:00am - 10:00pm.  There was a sea day between Ketchikan and Victoria.

Edited by Tiger0613

27 minutes ago, Tiger0613 said:

No cruise in the 2019 or 2020 seasons is in Victoria for a full day.  There was at least one cruise in the 2018 season that was in Victoria for a full day.

The first cruise out of Seattle in 2017 was an 8 day that was in Victoria from 10:00am - 10:00pm.  Two days before that, it was in Ketchikan from 10:00am - 10:00pm.  There was a sea day between Ketchikan and Victoria.

As I mentioned, it was anecdotal based on some past cruises, but thanks for the update regarding 2019-2020.

1 hour ago, WorkerBee74 said:

LOL.  Next time I visit the US I'll come without a passport and see what they tell me.... not sure why that's a surprise.  😛 

There is an entire misleading thread about traveling in foreign countries without a passport. I find it to be a very cavalier attitude, like nothing bad ever happens to me, same people who never get insurance. 

• Like 1