Hanukkah

Ombud

12 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Asking from ignorance. Understand food and cooking supplies and stoves  does the "TV tray" and foil keep things OK when it's put into non Kosher microwave, oven or steamer?

The food is pre-prepared by a Kosher caterer and wrapped in many layers so it can be warmed up anywhere. I tried to help a friend open one a couple of years ago and we needed a big knife.

No worries about the food itself touching anything.

As far as the candles - I saw these on Bed Bath and Beyond and am going to get them for myself.

You could use a regular Chanukiah with them.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/led-hanukkah-candles-in-blue-set-of-9/5189206?categoryId=12807

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, Ombud said:

I made a mistake ... okay, I get it. My cruise starts next week during HANUKKAH! Does Princess have the traditional foods, can I bring an electric menorah, will it just be Christmas?  Air quality here is 288 so I'm going to get clean air but will I miss holidays? :classic_unsure:

Hi Ombud,  this is absolutely nothing to do with your cruise I am just interested how you cameby 'Ombud' as your handle.   A good friend of ours actually comes from that town (he is a survivor)

22 minutes ago, boobasimcha said:

Hi Ombud,  this is absolutely nothing to do with your cruise I am just interested how you cameby 'Ombud' as your handle.   A good friend of ours actually comes from that town (he is a survivor)

As long as you're asking about screen names- is boobasimcha what your grandchildren call you?

And, as to the original question - it's been hit or miss what Princess does for Chanukah.

There will definitely be a Chanukiah in the main lobby and they may have latkes - especially if you ask the Head Waiter in your section.

Celebrity seems to think Chanukah is like Rosh HaShanah - they always have Jewish clergy on board and have a "service" every night where we ate latkes & sufganiyot , lit candles (electric) and sang Chanukah songs.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chamima said:

As far as the candles - I saw these on Bed Bath and Beyond and am going to get them for myself.

You could use a regular Chanukiah with them.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/led-hanukkah-candles-in-blue-set-of-9/5189206?categoryId=12807

Love LOVE it! I. On hold in SF & kid will pick it up on his way over from SFSU today. 🙂

I ordered flowers for the stateroom so it will feel like Hanukkah 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Posting from the Sapphire Princess:

They were a little confused, kept saying there wasn't a Rabbi onboard so it was set up at the Passenger Services Desk (flowers / menorah). So Day 2 I asked the International Cafe for a dozen "filled donuts" (sufaniyot) and they eagerly complied. Then I asked the Cruise Director Marcus for the Shabbat set up in the stateroom. Not only did he get it for me / us, he also got us a dedicated site, another menorah, 2 platters of sufaniyot, 1 platter of latkes, juice / water for each subsequent night. Night 3 the Entertainment Mgr, Marcus, and a Head Waiter visited us to make sure it was good. The next might Marcus and another officer came. After that it was just a staff member. 

Yes, the ship has Hanukkah. it was even explained on the Wake Program and in the Patter every day

FWIW: our group grew from 7 to 25

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

Posting from the Sapphire Princess:

They were a little confused, kept saying there wasn't a Rabbi onboard so it was set up at the Passenger Services Desk (flowers / menorah). So Day 2 I asked the International Cafe for a dozen "filled donuts" (sufaniyot) and they eagerly complied. Then I asked the Cruise Director Marcus for the Shabbat set up in the stateroom. Not only did he get it for me / us, he also got us a dedicated site, another menorah, 2 platters of sufaniyot, 1 platter of latkes, juice / water for each subsequent night. Night 3 the Entertainment Mgr, Marcus, and a Head Waiter visited us to make sure it was good. The next might Marcus and another officer came. After that it was just a staff member. 

Yes, the ship has Hanukkah. it was even explained on the Wake Program and in the Patter every day

FWIW: our group grew from 7 to 25

Sounds great but I hope you meant card room or some other public room rather than your stateroom.

I love Princess and how responsive they are.

BTW - I bought the battery operated candles and I love them , I hope you do also - they even flicker like real candles but no waxy mess to clean up!

חג חנוכה שמח!🥘🍩

Edited by chamima

No .... at 3pm a guy I met at Shabbat services & I decided to do it at 5pm. He had the menorah so we used his stateroom -- too late to do it elsewhere -- and we got 7 there. The next night it was in Skywalker with 25, then it moved to Club Fusion

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I'm bumping my own thread. This time it's not about Hanukkah it's Purim. I'll be in Lima. Last Purim I was in Sydney Australia and the guy who turned me away stating he didn't know what it was was wearing a kipah and I could hear the megillah.  🙂 😉