Cruising Without Passport

winchesterdog

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Your first hand account is very helpful in these types of debates and is fully consistent from what others with direct knowledge have posted. Having a passport does make it easier, and essentially it comes down to whether or not someone is willing to risk any delay that would take place if something happened. I was never that concerned about it. Of course I don't drink that heavily when onshore in part because I am not going to do anything to risk missing the ship (that was a cardinal sin in the Navy, missing ship's movement).

My personal nightmare is me running on the pier and watching the ship pull away!  I even quit arranging private excursions...Carnival will wait for you as long as possible if you're on a ship-sponsored tour but if you have an accident on a private one and you're delayed getting back you'll be "that guy" seeing the ship on the horizon.

Just as an aside...I rode submarines while in the Navy.  On the way home from a deployment we stopped in Perth, Australia for 5 wonderful days.  On the day we left one guy was missing.  We had to leave him to get going.  Long story short...he turned himself in the day after we left and the Navy flew him back.  He met us on the pier when we pulled in and asked him if it was worth it.  His answer..."Oh yeah!"

10 minutes ago, Cushing985 said:

My personal nightmare is me running on the pier and watching the ship pull away!  I even quit arranging private excursions...Carnival will wait for you as long as possible if you're on a ship-sponsored tour but if you have an accident on a private one and you're delayed getting back you'll be "that guy" seeing the ship on the horizon.

Just as an aside...I rode submarines while in the Navy.  On the way home from a deployment we stopped in Perth, Australia for 5 wonderful days.  On the day we left one guy was missing.  We had to leave him to get going.  Long story short...he turned himself in the day after we left and the Navy flew him back.  He met us on the pier when we pulled in and asked him if it was worth it.  His answer..."Oh yeah!"

That's why we use ship excursions as well. I had some skippers that would sentence 3 days bread and water for missing ship's movement but as long as it was worth it😁.

When we first started cruising, we didn't have passports so we had to use birth certificates & driver license.  Now that we have passports, we use them because it just seems quicker going through customs when we get home.  The passport lines seem to go faster than the bc/dl lines.  When in port, they are usually left on the ship for safekeeping.  So, if we missed the ship, we'd still have a problem.  As far as driving in Mexico, it's kind of scary.  We've done a jeep tour as well as rented vehicles when staying in Cozumel.  I feel safer driving in Cozumel than on the mainland.  

9 hours ago, modes said:

Why did you not get him a passport??

He's 22, why would they? I sailed with two of my adult children in February and they both opted to use birth certificates. I did not feel compelled to buy them a passport for the trip.

I feel much better now after viewing the responses on this board. Obviously many Americans opt to cruise without passports and do ok. I do feel that young people should have a Passport if only to take advantage of travel abroad ( other than closed loop cruises ). What a great graduation gift idea.

27 minutes ago, winchesterdog said:

I feel much better now after viewing the responses on this board. Obviously many Americans opt to cruise without passports and do ok. I do feel that young people should have a Passport if only to take advantage of travel abroad ( other than closed loop cruises ). What a great graduation gift idea.

I was just talking about this with my 26 year old. He bought a passport when he went off to college "just in case". Now he's graduated, a boat load of student loan debt, with a young, growing family. His prospects of any foreign travel (other than an odd trip up to Canada) is nil. He was just saying he has until 2022 to use his passport to go some place cool and it probably wouldn't happen. That's also one of the reasons why his two brothers opted for birth certificates in February, they have no prospects for any other travel in the foreseeable future since they are both trying to establish themselves. Having a passport only opens the world up for someone if they have the time and means for that travel. Otherwise it's just an expensive ID with an expiration date.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:15 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

What on earth are you talking about?  A closed loop cruise leaving the US with those ports does not require a passport and has no restrictions on debarking in those ports.

He will be screwed regardless of whether he has a passport.  The only difference is that without a passport, he'll have to make arrangements with the closest US consulate for a temporary passport to get back to the US, which could lengthen his stay abroad (and incur additional expenses) until he has permission to travel back to the US.

you can get off.. but some islands require not just your drivers Lic. but want a passport.. I understand close looped..do you hear what you said.. screwed either way.. MORE without his papers..all I'm sayin..go ahead.. go w out one.. why risk it to save $.. things DO happen 29 cruises and counting the stories.. Happy Thanksgiving all.. moving on to other topics..:)

55 minutes ago, winchesterdog said:

I would like to ask one more related question. Say something does happen and you end up missing the boat and don’t have a passport . What would be good advice? 

Good advice would be to get a passport now.  Last minute passports can be obtained.

If he misses the ship--At the pier he will be met by the Port Agent who will have info for your son. 

He'll have to make his way to the nearest Consulate or Embassy for an emergency passport.  Many of the Islands share consulates or embassies, so it is possible for him to have to travel to another island to get the paperwork.  Depending on the office, he might have to wait a day or two for the paperwork to be completed.  To get the passport he will need his BC, DL, and a passport sized photo.  The consulate does not do photos.  They will charge the expedited rates.  

If you have the passports in the safe, Security will get them out and give them to you at the pier.  Simply have to buy fare (air or ferry) to get to the next port.

Look on travel.state.gov for the latest passport info.

Edited by SadieN

1 hour ago, winchesterdog said:

I would like to ask one more related question. Say something does happen and you end up missing the boat and don’t have a passport . What would be good advice? 

First, don't miss the boat (I know, that is obvious). Second, I wouldn't do anything without communicating with the port agent, he or she will be the one that has the info you need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winchesterdog said:

Don't panic. Contact the port agent and listen carefully. Remember, USVI and PR are in the US. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 12:55 PM, CLS/KAS said:

you can get off.. but some islands require not just your drivers Lic. but want a passport.. I understand close looped..do you hear what you said.. screwed either way.. MORE without his papers..all I'm sayin..go ahead.. go w out one.. why risk it to save $.. things DO happen 29 cruises and counting the stories.. Happy Thanksgiving all.. moving on to other topics..:)

Which islands?