Walkie-Talkies on board for Guests

ScottC4746

I have seen this on RCCL and used to laugh at the idea, however trying to find your loved one on-board when you two get separated, I can understand the need to bring two way radios.

What is HAL's policy on this and have you see it done and how often?  First time on HAL and HAL is a higher category than RCCL IMHO.

1 minute ago, asebastian said:

Last time I cruised HAL to Alaska, I noticed an Asian family with 2 teen boys having small yellow walkie talkies with them. The boys were having loads of fun with them too, over at either sides of Lido...

I guess that is more for families with kids and not so much a couple.  Good point.

18 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

I have seen this on RCCL and used to laugh at the idea, however trying to find your loved one on-board when you two get separated, I can understand the need to bring two way radios.

What is HAL's policy on this and have you see it done and how often?  First time on HAL and HAL is a higher category than RCCL IMHO.

For the most part, many of the typical (cheap) walkie-talkies that you would purchase to use onboard only work with straight (short) line-of-site distances.  They don't transmit well through steel decks and walls.

We haven't used them on HAL, but we did used them on Princess for a couple of years.  As Shmoo pointed out, they have a problem with steel decks and walls.  We gave up on them for this reason.  A lot of passengers don't like them because they are disturbed by people shouting into them.

We leave "sticky notes" in the cabin of where we are going and when we expect to return.  If we plan to meet up, we decide ahead of time where and when.

Edited by towhee

If you both are carrying your cellphones, you can use the chat in the Navigator INTRAnet site. But the other person has to LOOK, there is no ping. Because what is worse than a few people yelling into their walkietalkies would be everyone's cellphone pinging and ring-toning!

• Like 1

Traveling as a family of 4 we never saw a need.  We brought a sticky note pad and left notes on the desk mirror if our plans changed.  If all else failed we knew to meet at the lido for lunch at a set time for the cabin to get ready for dinner.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, Shmoo here said:

For the most part, many of the typical (cheap) walkie-talkies that you would purchase to use onboard only work with straight (short) line-of-site distances.  They don't transmit well through steel decks and walls.

We had a similar idea on a family cruise a while back, but you are correct the steel decks and walls limit the range to just a few yards or so. They are pretty much useless.