Cancelling a Booking

KelSny1011

You guys are basically arguing the same point I'm trying to make. 

I BOOKED IT, ITS MY CREDIT CARD. MY NAME IS ON THE TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE BOOKING, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO CANCEL!!

Screaming at everyone will help. 

Edited by dcgrumpy

8 hours ago, KelSny1011 said:

You guys are basically arguing the same point I'm trying to make. 

I BOOKED IT, ITS MY CREDIT CARD. MY NAME IS ON THE TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE BOOKING, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO CANCEL!!

You keep harping on "responsibility" and "authorization"....

On 11/21/2018 at 10:30 AM, KelSny1011 said:

Thank you!  I feel like the majority of the posters on here are not understanding the fact that they gladly took my sister's information with zero authorization by her to be the responsible party of this booking then hide behind this "policy" that now she has the be the one to cancel.   Let's spin the scenario and say I made a booking without my sister's knowledge and flaked on going.  Is she now responsible for the booking when she never made the booking? 

If they are going to have a policy to protect the people in each state room then it should be across the board.  Meaning that my sister needs to give some type of authorization to be the responsible party on the stateroom before sailing.

And then when I pointed out that there is no problem with authorization or responsibility, you started yelling at us.  

There is no problem with responsible parties or authorizations.  

How is the person who was booked into a room, deposit paid by someone else, at ALL responsible for anything?

The cruise line has ZERO interaction with this person.

Why should someone have to lie, saying they are someone else, to cancel a booking that THEY MADE.

5 minutes ago, SRF said:

Why should someone have to lie, saying they are someone else, to cancel a booking that THEY MADE.

Just like anything else, the cancel process has probably been abused in the past and they added a rule to help minimize their liability. They obviously know people can lie, so this rule does not prevent abuse, it's just a minimal CYA attempt.

On 11/20/2018 at 3:51 PM, Charles4515 said:

Luis did the right thing. The second rep did the wrong thing. They should have asked for some verification other than the name. The probelm is that I might post on Facebook or otherwise tell someone I am going on a sailing. Then for some reason, maybe we had a spat, they could call up and cancel the reservation. There should be some security.

AGREE!

We are always asked details.... however the details are so minor that  if I had a sister, she would know!

20 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Just like anything else, the cancel process has probably been abused in the past and they added a rule to help minimize their liability. They obviously know people can lie, so this rule does not prevent abuse, it's just a minimal CYA attempt.

No, it MAKES people lie.

If they don't make the person prove who they say they are, they are doing NOTHING.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

No, it MAKES people lie.

If they don't make the person prove who they say they are, they are doing NOTHING.

It does not make people lie. They have the choice of lying or not. The other person can call and cancel. 

I think Host Clarea made a major point. There are legal reasons for the policy. 

On 11/21/2018 at 10:21 AM, SilkySal said:

Yes, I found about this "policy" a few weeks ago. I have been booking several rooms for my family/friends for a few years and did the same for our last cruise on the Majesty. I had been handling everything on each of their accounts. Then, RCI changed its web site and, all of a sudden, I could not access most of those reservations to make needed changes and reservations!😲 However, I could still access the ones with my family if the last name was the same. I was also told by a rep that my name had to be on the reservation in order to access it! My thinking is that they want to take that access ability away from people, who are not authorized travel agents. I am wondering if some of the TA's requested this to be done to increase their clientele. Hmmmm, just maybe!🙄

You can still get into her reservation to make reservations and purchases.  

While you used used to be able to claim ownership and do it all through your account you now need to click on “already booked” and then all you need is the reservation number, last name, ship and sail date and you have full access to their cruise planner and can check them in as well.

49 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can still get into her reservation to make reservations and purchases.  

While you used used to be able to claim ownership and do it all through your account you now need to click on “already booked” and then all you need is the reservation number, last name, ship and sail date and you have full access to their cruise planner and can check them in as well.

I was able to get a few things done that way but was having some difficulty with dining, so we could all sit together. I just emailed RCI dining with all of our reservation and cabin numbers, and names, and wallah! Kudos to the dining staff!!

23 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It does not make people lie. They have the choice of lying or not. The other person can call and cancel. 

I think Host Clarea made a major point. There are legal reasons for the policy. 

I don't agree with her points.

If person X makes the reservation,and pays for it, they should be able to cancel it.

Person Y has had NO input and NO contact with RCI.  There is no legal agreement between RCI and Person Y.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1