RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

Quick question, I just booked two days ago for a March 20th cruise on Anthem.  I went straight to the RoyalUp site to make a bid on a higher category.  I am well versed in bidding on upgrades on Celebrity and anticipated the same process on Royal.  Since inventory is pretty low, (looks like only 3 suites are available), my assumption is that Royal is not allowing anyone else to bid?  Currently in a J4.  Thanks 

21 minutes ago, Illsticktocrusing said:

Quick question, I just booked two days ago for a March 20th cruise on Anthem.  I went straight to the RoyalUp site to make a bid on a higher category.  I am well versed in bidding on upgrades on Celebrity and anticipated the same process on Royal.  Since inventory is pretty low, (looks like only 3 suites are available), my assumption is that Royal is not allowing anyone else to bid?  Currently in a J4.  Thanks 

We're on that sailing.  We're in a 2C and have 2 bids pending.

24 minutes ago, Illsticktocrusing said:

Sometimes it takes a few days for your offers to be ready on RoyalUp site.  If it has only been two days since you booked, do not give up hope of being allowed to bid.  Just check back on the RoyalUp website every day (or every few days for the more laid back)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thecanimal said:

Wow, Thecanimal here . Again I’m not trying to inflame the fires, but if you royalup into one of my old cabins that you read about, On The Downgraded without compensation thread, now I am curious. As I said I’m all good now but my conspiracy theories have been reawakened. I know I can’t give you my email, but maybe I can figure out how to meet you on the ship and talk about this. I am happy you are happy, everything‘s good, but if Royal Caribbean is playing these games, I just can’t even believe it. 

Given Royal’s long history of IT screw ups, the combination of threads makes me wonder if they have done it yet again.  Do you think perhaps the IT geniuses have recently messed up which cabins belong in the “large balcony” category on that ship?  First data point;  I have the impression that multiple reps believed your first set of replacement cabins were large balconies when they were not….do you think could a miscoding in their system have caused the responses you received?   Second data point:  mcatmcat gets a RoyalUp balcony upgrade, with posts on the two threads that suggest that upgrade cabin typically would have been in the “spacious balcony” RoyalUp category (again, raising the question of whether some cabins were miscategorized on that ship at that time).  What do you think?  Might it be yet another IT blunder?

21 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Sometimes it takes a few days for your offers to be ready on RoyalUp site.  If it has only been two days since you booked, do not give up hope of being allowed to bid.  Just check back on the RoyalUp website every day (or every few days for the more laid back)

I was checking every few hours 🙂 .. Surprise Surprise, I was just able to bid. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mabel the Great..Dane said:

Has anyone on the 3/20 Odyssey sailing heard if their bid was accepted?  

There were a bunch of balconies awarded. 1 report of a JS, but that is it. Given that there are no suites available, I don't expect many others

20 minutes ago, sford75 said:

There were a bunch of balconies awarded. 1 report of a JS, but that is it. Given that there are no suites available, I don't expect many others

ugh....thank you.  I bid on a JS and GR so I guess I better accept I'm staying in a balcony, which really isn't a hardship after seeing snow the last few months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atabs12 said:

Has anyone had luck for the LOS 3/6 with Royal up yet? All my offers are still pending and I can modify

I am either the third or fourth one in the FB group to report a successful bid. Mine came through on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

Have we fully understood HOW the offers are being accepted? 
Anthem cruise I put in a bid slightly higher then another person and the guy that "low balled it" won an upgrade ?

Didn't make sense

8 minutes ago, balkor2 said:

Anthem cruise I put in a bid slightly higher then another person and the guy that "low balled it" won an upgrade ?

Didn't make sense

We're they in a higher cabin category than you to start

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, balkor2 said:

Didn't make sense

They could have paid more for the same cabin than you did and their low ball offer has them spending more than you.  They could have bid first.  No one knows, all speculation.

• Like 1

I can see where cabin category may make a difference since higher categories can be resold but if categories are equal, it shouldn't really matter what person A vs Person B paid originally.  Royal already has that money so I would think they would want the higher bid.  

• Like 1

From a business standpoint, what you paid for your room shouldn't matter if someone else has a higher bid, that should be the offer accepted with one caveat. The room currently occupied might not be equal and the room that's more in demand either for regular bookings or upgrade bids should win their upgrade bid even if it's somewhat lower. 

I have to assume it's somewhat driven by an algorithm that looks at all the bids to determine the best revenue total. It might be done manually but that would be time consuming and possibly not as efficient.

Just speculation on my part of course.

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, only Plusgrade and RCI know the algorithm/criteria.

Ok fair enough 

18 minutes ago, SWACruising said:

From a business standpoint, what you paid for your room shouldn't matter if someone else has a higher bid, that should be the offer accepted with one caveat. The room currently occupied might not be equal and the room that's more in demand either for regular bookings or upgrade bids should win their upgrade bid even if it's somewhat lower. 

I have to assume it's somewhat driven by an algorithm that looks at all the bids to determine the best revenue total. It might be done manually but that would be time consuming and possibly not as efficient.

Just speculation on my part of course.

So the short is.
The other person whom low balled, bid the minimum going from interior to JS

I bid a little bit more than min ~50 bucks or so. and was going from balcony to JS.

The person from interior bid ~50 less than me and won.

Like 2 days or so before we left, there was like 5 JS still open .

As SWA.. was saying, from a business perspective less money was gained from an interior to JS 
Versus Balcony to JS.

Person whom (also) won was Gold member - One could argue that it was to promote / reinforce. 
I don't know 😞  it just wasn't logical to me.

1 hour ago, balkor2 said:

Ok fair enough 

So the short is.
The other person whom low balled, bid the minimum going from interior to JS

I bid a little bit more than min ~50 bucks or so. and was going from balcony to JS.

The person from interior bid ~50 less than me and won.

Like 2 days or so before we left, there was like 5 JS still open .

As SWA.. was saying, from a business perspective less money was gained from an interior to JS 
Versus Balcony to JS.

Person whom (also) won was Gold member - One could argue that it was to promote / reinforce. 
I don't know 😞  it just wasn't logical to me.

I have a few thoughts.  Are you sure you know the other person’s minimum bid?  It is unlikely that their minimum bid for a JS from an interior was the same as your minimum bid from a balcony.  I suspect their minimum was much higher than yours.  And minimums may change over time.  If they did not give you a specific $ figure, some info  may have been lost.  

And the situation may indeed defy logic and algorithms.  During covid, there are may be other issues influencing the situation.  From other threads we know people are sometimes being moved from assigned cabin for (obscure to us) spacing reasons, with people getting apology letters and OBC.  Hypothetically, if somebody in an impacted cabin has bid on an upgrade, rather than be forced to apologize and give OBC, Royal could instead instruct Plusgrade to accept the person’s bid, thus collecting smiles and cash while moving them out of their impacted cabin.  Just a hypothetical, but it could happen.

And finally, the situation might not be accurately presented.  Most of us know people who brag and embellish their deals.  Some of us know people who lie to their spouses (and others) about cost of purchases (oh, honey, the shoes were on sale and we won the upgrade with a low ball bid…when in truth the shoes were full price and the bid was high for that desired upgrade).  It is hard to know about accuracy.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Most of us know people who brag and embellish their deals.

11 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

when in truth the shoes were full price and the bid was high for that desired upgrade

Valid statements. 
I assumed (yes it applies here LOL) that we were all on the same page as in the Royal Up would be the same for all. Meaning Min bid JS being X would be the same for all people. 
In truth don't know 😞

21 minutes ago, balkor2 said:

Meaning Min bid JS being X would be the same for all people. 

First of all, someone in an inside wouldn't normally get to bid on a JS (there's usually a two major category limit you could Royal Up on), and even if they did, their min would be much higher than someone in a balcony (even various balcony categories will have diff mins).

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 5