Sunrise cabin booked as a 4-person capacity is now showing 2-person

mpcaruth

I booked cabin 3136 for our Sunrise cruise a few months ago for my family of 4.  This cabin is located in a completely new cabin section off the Lobby on the soon-to-be renovated ship.  We have stayed in a similar cabin on the Sunshine before and loved it, both for price and for convenient location.  I checked the Carnival website last week hoping to find a price drop, but instead found that the cabin is now listed at max 2 person capacity.  UGGHH.  Coincidentally, I received my first upgrade offer ever (in 9 Carnival cruises) to upgrade to an OV for a few hundred $ more.  I declined the upgrade for two reasons:  1) I much prefer the cabin in which I reserved with a $1600 deposit over the OV "upgrade", and 2) shame on Carnival for switching the cabin occupancy and then trying to get me to pay for it.

I have contemplated contacting my TA to see what my options are, but for now have decided to wait to see what Carnival does... perhaps I can snag a balcony cabin???  Has anyone else experience something similar?  If so, what was the end result?

If you have booked this cabin, then you cannot see it online.  I am assuming that you are seeing an adjacent or nearby cabin in the same category.  It is possible that your cabin would be a 4 person cabin and the one adjacent would be a 2 person cabin.

You might try seeing this specific cabin on another sailing to see if it is listed as a 4 person cabin.

Edited by Schoifmom

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

If you have booked this cabin, then you cannot see it online.  I am assuming that you are seeing an adjacent or nearby cabin in the same category.  It is possible that your cabin would be a 4 person cabin and the one adjacent would be a 2 person cabin.

You might try seeing this specific cabin on another sailing to see if it is listed as a 4 person cabin.

I have verified numerous ways (different sailings, Carnival.com deck plans, other TA sites, etc.). The cabin I original booked as a quad is now a 2 max. The change seemed to appear when they released the deck plans and bookings for the Radiance. Four of the 4J cabins on deck three have been changed to lower occupancy on both the Sunrise and the Radiance.

19 minutes ago, mpcaruth said:

I have verified numerous ways (different sailings, Carnival.com deck plans, other TA sites, etc.). The cabin I original booked as a quad is now a 2 max. The change seemed to appear when they released the deck plans and bookings for the Radiance. Four of the 4J cabins on deck three have been changed to lower occupancy on both the Sunrise and the Radiance.

OK.  That wasn't clear.  You only talked about doing a mock booking for pricing.  You will definitely want to call Carnival, if they don't beat you to it.

I too had a similar problem with my booking on the Sunrise. When i booked my original cabin in January when the itinerary was first released, i had a regular cabin. Then then they made an announcement about the Sunrise make over and the dydock changes. my cabin was changed to a CONNECTING cabin. I received no communication from Carnival . I had to find out on my own. Very poor planning on carnival part i think. Since i did not want a connecting cabin, i was forced to change to a different cabin. 

Edited by shof515

27 minutes ago, tandemcruzr said:

Looking at the deck plans on Carnival's site and cruisedeckplans.com shows a black square as the type cabin arrangement. On both web sites the black square shows the cabin as "Twin/King, lower sofa bed and an upper." 

Yes, there is a discrepancy on Carnival's site. The graphical black square is there, but if you click on the interactive cabin info for this particular cabin, it states max 2. There is no longer a sofa bed nor a pull down. It's like Carnival has not updated the web info. This max 2 occupancy is confirm if you do a mock booking for another date where the cabin is unbooked. 

It's frustrating, as I don't know whether to be proactive with calling Carnival and risk losing my 4J, or ride it out and hope that other booked 4J cabins are canceled and assigned to us. I REALLY like the 4Js on the Lobby deck.

On 11/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, mpcaruth said:

I have contemplated contacting my TA to see what my options are, but for now have decided to wait to see what Carnival does... perhaps I can snag a balcony cabin???  Has anyone else experience something similar?  If so, what was the end result?

This happened to us on the Conquest back in 2003.  We had booked six balcony cabins on the Empress Deck.  One of those cabins held 3 guys.  I looked on line at our booking one day and noticed that our cabin number had changed.  I called our TA and she had no idea so she called Carnival.  She got back with me and said that they had now made the three guys cabin a two person max.  Carnival had called the first couple in our group alphabetically and ask them if it was alright to move all of us as a group.  They agreed.  Carnival moved all of us up to the Panorama Deck for free.  

I found it awfully odd that they only contacted the first couple, not the TA and didn't notify the rest of us that they had made the move.  Had I not looked at our booking, we wouldn't have know about it until we boarded and tried to get into our original cabins.  

On the bright side for Carnival, once we had cabins on the Panorama Deck, we haven't booked a lower one since.

Edited by RWolver672

Don't know if this applies as it applies to weight and number of pax: I believe each room has a capacity and if those rooms reach the capacity or max, then other rooms have to lose their max. So if I'm in cabin that holds 4 and 4 are going to occupy it and that happens with the majority of the cabins, due to weight, balance, total number of pax so far, certain cabins that are left then lose their max capacity, I think. 

43 minutes ago, Cruiserbarbie said:

Don't know if this applies as it applies to weight and number of pax: I believe each room has a capacity and if those rooms reach the capacity or max, then other rooms have to lose their max. So if I'm in cabin that holds 4 and 4 are going to occupy it and that happens with the majority of the cabins, due to weight, balance, total number of pax so far, certain cabins that are left then lose their max capacity, I think. 

It has nothing to do with weight or balance.  It is about lifeboat capacity.  Each lifeboat can only hold so many people.  Once that capacity is reached no more people can be added to the cabins assigned to that lifeboat, even if the cabins can still accommodate additional people.