Argentinian Peso

Trend

No banks in the US offer this for purchase.  You can buy it online or at currency exchanges in major airports if you need some ahead of your trip, but you're going to be paying some pretty hefty fees.  If at all possible, wait until you arrive and use an ATM.

I would never bother with this costly option.   I simply just use ATM's  inside banks.   Credit cards are accepted in many cases  and there are currency exchanges and ATM's at the airport.    Being I always have pesos,  I  restock inside bank ATM's, in Buenos Aries,    or Bank ATM's in Ushuaia if cruising from Chile. 

It's not controlled, just subject to such rapid fluctuation and inflation that banks outside of AR won't mess with it.  

BTW, a great tip I picked up on these boards years ago is to open a Charles Schwab checking account.  No monthly maintenance fees, and you can keep a small amount in it to keep it open.  Then, transfer in money before a trip.  You can use their ATM card to get local currency, and they reimburse 100% of any ATM fees.  If any excess cash is left in the account after a trip, you can just use the ATM card at home to draw the balance back down to a small amount.  ATMs will give you the best conversion rates.

Edited by FredZiffle

Frankly,   ATM's  are the best option  with foreign travel.    Even with fees,  and cash essential.  ATM's  will be a LOT more easy to find.    I suggest  if you plan on traveling,  it become part of your routine.   I've had a Charles Schwab card for years.   Although mine is fairly large funded due to my continuous travel.    It would be simple to put in small amounts-  if concerned about risks.   Vital-   is to always have the habit of submitting all your travel notifications  for all your  ATM's and Credit Cards.     Simple online application submission. 

17 hours ago, Trend said:

We don’t like using ATMs but need the Peso for taxi’s

There are walk up  money exchanges right at the airport.   Won't be near as good exchange as using an ATM'.    EZE  also has prepaid taxi's just walk up to the dispatcher window.      

Are you planning on using Credit Cards?   Not much difference with using ATM's  in risk.  Perhaps rethink?  

8 hours ago, Trend said:

Yes using credit cards but ATM fees for Canadian cards are not great and my husband it gun shy after almost loosing one to a machine in French Polynesia.

Thanks for info

Then  you  have the ATM  card,  if your husband doesn't want to??.  I always travel with 2 ATM accounts/cards.   A single remote incident isn't a guarantee of repeat.   ATM's  are successfully used all the time.  

I posted this before. It is from someone here in Montevideo who recently went to Buenos Aires. 

Having just come back from a long weekend in Buenas Aires, I have two things to share with other relative newcomers in Uruguay planning a future trip to BA.

1. Very few places accept credit cards, just cash or debit cards which was a pain as my Uruguayan debit card is not international. I wonder if this is a symptom of economic problems. (Note:  I read an article that said it can take 10 days for a retailer to be reimbursed by Visa or MC and with the fluctuating currency they are losing money)
Many restaurants give a discount for cash.

2. Changing USD for pesos was also a pain. Most banks will only change money if you are a client, so we tried the National Bank, but gave up too bored to wait 1 hr++ to be served. You also need ID, forms to fill in, contact details, copies of your grannie' s swimming certificates, etc. We asked a few locals who pointed us to an unmarked office that looked like a pawn shop where we were able to change money, no questions asked, no receipts, no worries. 

Just a heads up to maybe bring a couple of debit cards and US dollars. You should be able to change dollars into pesos at a Cambio rather than a bank. 

Here in Uruguay there have been many ATM's blown up by thieves and the government is requiring all ATM's to be moved inside a store or Mall. The ATM's mostly do not have US dollars in them even if that is a choice on the screen. Once they are damaged with dye, the US Banks will not take them back so the banks here are not stocking the ATM's with dollars. I tried yesterday to get 5000 UY pesos ( About $150 US ) from my Canadian credit card and it was declined. I then used my UY debit bank card and easily got twice that. It tends to be hit or miss so it is worth trying different ATM's or go into a Bank with your card.

I have read that many ATM's in Buenos Aires are often empty, amounts you can get are under 4000 pesos ( about $100 US) and charges per transaction are high about $8.00 US. 

Wow thanks for the info what is a Cambio 

Very frustrating for travelers but difficult for retailers.

Taking $US cash but not sure what to do if they don’t take credit or $ US unless we get there and right away find a Cambio which I assume is a money exchange.

I have been told by a family member who lives in Buenos Aries for almost 5 years now – that he has never exchanged money in a bank – always in Casa De Cambios   ( Translation - House of Change) for the best rate.. Especially if they are large bills. (100's bring the Best rate) - Be sure to Bring only new untorn/unfolded bills.  You will need Passport for ID.

Right now it is around 35 - So  $100.00 USD would equal 3,500 AR Pesos

Here is a Trip advisor post from this year basically saying the same…... 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k11258410-Casas_de_cambio-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

I just googled " casa de cambios buenos aires" and many options show up

We used an ATM at the airport. Also exchanged some money at the hotel.  Restaurants would prefer to take cash and will take USD with a not bad exchange rate.  USD bills can be folded but otherwise must be in clean and unmarked condition. In the tourist areas you'll see men saying "cambio, cambio" they are trying to get you to change money with them. Don't! Find a legit currency exchange (you'll need your passport) or ATM. Buenos Aires is a lovely city and well worth exploring on foot.  We felt safe but we also kept aware of our surroundings. If you have time take the tour at the Teatro Colon.  They offer them in English at specific times of the day.  Tickets can be purchased with a credit card.  Hop-on-Hop-Off bus only takes cash at their main office.  Also on Saturday or Sunday the Casa Rosada is open to the public (free entry). Tours were in Spanish but we were able to walk around and enjoy the beauty of the building.