Last ones off the boat

FrankNBrew

Why does everyone keep talking about FLL when you flying out of IAH?

Anyway...wanted to add. Look into the IAH Marriott. It has an underground tram thing that connects directly to the airport. It might be a nicer place to hang out before going through security and still give you easy transportation to the airport itself when it would be time to be there.

Edited by Anita Latte

On 11/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, asalligo said:

I personally do not want to inconvenience anyone or delay the next cruises boarding. I just want to wait for the large crowd to debark before I do, as I also do not want to slow down anyone who has an earlier flight than me. If I could find a sitting place in which I could see the line getting off the ship, I would just sit there until the line was small and then debark. 

The lines will be inside the terminal.  

We had a problem with Alaska one year trying to check a bag more than 2 hrs before flight time.  We now get around that by checking in at the curb.  They take your luggage and you do not need to worry about it.  We try to arrange a 9:30 departure off the ship as we have to fly cross country to get home and we figure that is about the time they want you off and on your way.  If you leave from certain ports you can also do the luggage program where the ship takes your luggage to the airport and you see it again when you get home.  Makes debarkation a little easier not having to carry our bags off with us.  Have a fun cruise.

This past weekend we stayed on the ship until around 1000 at FLL.  The lines were nothing getting off the ship but the que  for immigrations/customs was a little long/slow.  We do the Mobile Passport (which I recommend to US travelers) to get through immigrations/customs and then a small que for the taxis.  But for sure it is better than 0830-0930 time frame.  We went to FLL via $20 flat rate taxi fare and checked in and went through Security still 6 hours ahead of our flight with no problem.  We'll do it again at Christmas and see how that goes. Happy cruising!!

Keep that later flight. There’s a good chance of fog delays in Galveston in February. And yes it’s a fair old drive to IAH so you aren’t looking at that much extra time if you simply take the last numbered departure tags. 

I was literally the last person off my Liberty cruise almost 2 years ago. Slipped and fell on the deck leaving the ship because they were washing life boats or something and the water was all over. Never saw it and down I went. Ended up in the ship hospital for x-rays before we left. By the time i was released they wheeled me off the ship and our family was the last ones through customs. Had a partial tear in my ACL so living with that lovely memory every day...

Went through FLL this morning. Between parking and getting through security we tallied about 12 minutes from getting out of the car to sitting at the gate.  I am still yet to experience the horror stories from some posters but anything is possible. 

On 11/28/2018 at 8:34 AM, asalligo said:

The problem with this is that FLL does not allow guests to move beyond security until 2 hours before your flight(At least for Delta, which is who I am flying) and there is nothing outside security. I am thinking I will find something to do between ship and flight. 

Yeah that’s not accurate.  I do it all the time to try and catch earlier flights on standby.  If I get off work early when I’m traveling I go straight to the airport to catch the next flight out.  I’m regularly through security sometimes 5-6 hours before my scheduled flight, trying to get an earlier one.   

5 hours ago, skidawg79 said:

Yeah that’s not accurate.  I do it all the time to try and catch earlier flights on standby.  If I get off work early when I’m traveling I go straight to the airport to catch the next flight out.  I’m regularly through security sometimes 5-6 hours before my scheduled flight, trying to get an earlier one.   

It may not be accurate all the time, but it is certainly accurate sometimes. Could be related to time of day and the number of cruise ships disembarking that morning.

6 hours ago, skidawg79 said:

I’ve experienced this 1 out of 3 times at FLL.  We got there maybe 3 hours early for a delta flight, and they wouldn’t let us through until it was 2 hours before- us and several others had to wait 😞

The other thing that some of our friends have run into when trying to be 'last off the ship' is that last off the ship still means there could be a thousand people in front of you in the terminal getting bags and going through customs/immigration!  The ship is happy to just scan everyone off, but there may still be a LOT of people in the terminal.