Free Air Fare?

roger001

On 11/29/2018 at 4:12 PM, BDRebel said:

Round trip from Dallas for a Trans-Atlantic (FLL - Spain) = $99

Same cruise, round trip from San Antonio (250 miles south) = $100,000.

I'm hoping the website is broken:classic_wacko:

Anybody else looking into flight over the summer for European cruises? $99 to BCN is a steal, especially during high season!  Wonder what people are getting for flights to Copenhagen - not a cheap place to fly to anytime!!!

I have to say, the free airfare perk is my least favorite, being that I don't live in a hub city.  It jacks up the price over last year when there was no free airfare offer, even if you don't take it. Plus the add on price if you're outside certain routes. 

Then I checked for a transatlantic with the promo.  The rates are higher than the transatlantics usually run, but the airfare there can be a great perk.  However . . . you have to be creative. The ship sails from Rome and ends up in Miami.  From Buffalo, the add on was $100,300, that's not a typo, One hundred thousand, three hundred dollars for a flight from Buffalo to Rome, then Miami to Buffalo.  I put in JFK and it was only $199, which is an excellent deal.  A flight or the train from NYC is about $100.  Then I through, well, if It's sailing to MIA and I put MIA as a starting point, that could be cheaper since I only need a one way to Rome from Miami.  $249.  And I'd have to get back and forth to MIA.  But you see where it's just really weird.  You have to play around with it and find the best options. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cruiselines are for profit companies and the term "free" is a marketing tool. Your savings will be based on your research of what you are paying vs. what you could be paying and how much of your trip you want to have selection control over vs what you allow to be assigned at a later date based on inventory. You could save on flights to and from certain cities on certain itineraries if you elect the free or reduced fare option by finding out the cost in advance and comparing it to the rates you would pay booking independently. If it works in your advantage and you don't mind finding out your economy assignment 30-60 days prior to sailing then it can work in your favor. If it doesn't, you can elect an option that meets your needs. The thing to remember is that no promotion is 100% free regardless, because they consider all the possible options when they advertise and adjust the price and added gratuities were applicable. So as long as you are comfortable paying the cruise fare rate, find the combination of "perks" that works best for your needs. Research and watch the price and promo fluctuations and jump on it when it provides you the most bang for your buck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 12:19 PM, ChicagoBarb said:

I booked the free air - Chicago to New Orleans.  Total airfare:  $0.00

Hi,

Looking at the same cruise and we are out of Chicago. Just curious what airline they have you on an about your experience?

41 minutes ago, newcomel said:

Hi,

Looking at the same cruise and we are out of Chicago. Just curious what airline they have you on an about your experience?

I don't sail until November so I don't have any flight info.  I probably won't know anything until September/October.

• 2 weeks later...