Question re: Turning Platinum on 2nd leg of a B2B

pyropoodle

first of all, I don't have a B2B booked yet, but it's on my near future bucket list

I do have 2 cruises coming up and after those are under my belt, I will be 12 days away from turning platinum.  my question is,  if I book a B2B, (like each cruise 7 days long) and I turned Platinum on the 2nd half of the cruise,  would I be treated as Platinum on both portions or only on 2nd half?

appreciate any answers, and I'm almost 100% sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it, so please if the question is too bothersome, feel free to ignore and roll your eyes :)

thanks for that info.  I've never been on one, so i'll most likely wait to do a b2b until I'm actually turning plat on the 1st leg.  of course, the dream is a B2B2B,,or even more 2Bs, but finances are what they are :)

thanks so much for the answer. this really helps me with my future planning.

oh no!!! conflicting info!!! I need a 3rd person to chime in an be a tie breaker.  I could call my pvp also, but I have a looooonggg time before this will be an issue, so I'd love to know more thoughts.    I trust the platinum to diamond because it makes sense, you already have priority in most things, so not a huge leap...but gold to platinum is a little more....well, going from the stock car to 1st class-ish, so do we think it operates the same way? 

I do appreciate y'alls input.

ImANewfie is correct. The reason being, if they treated each leg as a separate cruise as pyropoodle suggests (even if technically they are two separate cruises), then you wouldn’t even be plantinum on the 2nd leg because you don’t technically receive credit for days sailed immediately after debarkation. It takes a few days. You will receive Platinum cards on the first cruise. Every single person I’ve seen who were in the same position have stated that they did. 

I don’t know, however, if you will be able to get priority boarding though. You’ll have to check your boarding docs. Also, definitely make sure that Carnival links your bookings as a B2B. You can call or email the request to cclsupport@carnival.com. 

Enjoy your B2B!

Edited by bakersdozen12
  • Like 1

thanks for letting me know.  I would def link the b2b..but it's still far off into the future.   I am excited to be getting closer to the platinum though.  I don't think i'll see diamond in my lifetime, but I might win the lottery, so you never know.

appreciate the response :)

• Like 1

I realize this doesn’t apply to you yet, but the easiest way to verify your VIFP status is to print your boarding documents for your cruise(s). The boarding pass will show your VIFP status for the cruise(s).  If you are considered Platinum, you will get  all the benefits associated with Platinum to include priority boarding. 

A friend I work with did a B2B that was similar to your situation. He said he had a Gold card for the first cruise and the second cruise he was given a Platinum card. This was several years ago so information previously provided in this thread may be more up to date. 

If you are given Platinum status for the first cruise as mentioned above, I wonder if someone who has never cruised with Carnival before would be considered Platinum from day one if they booked 11 7-day cruises back to back to back etc.?

it is definitely something that I would most likely need to discuss with my PVP before booking.  I would only want to sail a b2b if I'm already  (or if I'm going to be) Platinum on the sailing.  I would def only be booking a balcony and not a suite..i can't affort that suite lifestyle much longer.  I have 2 suites booked for my next 2 cruises, and thank goodness I had already saved enough to have the 1st one pretty much paid off before the bill for the 2nd one started rolling in - my husband was like one of those cartoon bulls blowing steam from his ears when I booked so quickly.  he calmed down because he KNOWS I need the vacations.  our family has grown, we never go anywhere because we both work so much , we don't eat out, we've never hired a baby sitter, and I NEED A BREAK.   :)

21 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I have no useful insight to offer about what happens on a B2B, but how about:

Book a 14 day Journeys cruise instead!  Guaranteed you'll be Platinum first day!

hahaha, that is not out of the question.   for now, we are trying our luck at sailing from and back to nyc, so when I get the courage to fly with 2 kids, I just might do that.  I'd like to do the b2b with alternating itineraries though. I love the idea of the end of the first week when everyone is sad and mopey that they have to get off the ship, I can just smile and say "oh too bad, we are stuck here for one more week".   :classic_tongue:

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I realize this doesn’t apply to you yet, but the easiest way to verify your VIFP status is to print your boarding documents for your cruise(s). The boarding pass will show your VIFP status for the cruise(s).  

Just understand that the status for that future cruise won't show up until after OP completes his/her 2 already booked cruises.

Like ImANewfie experienced, I turned Gold on the second leg of a B2B and platinum on the second leg of a B2B and had the status on the first day of the first leg. Now, I have 13 days for diamond and expect to be diamond on the first day of the first leg of my upcoming B2B.

I'm a her :classic_biggrin:

...and glad I posted this, I didn't expect two different answers and this is giving me food for thought.  I am def booking my B2B before I take my 2nd cruise...just need those far, far, far off into the future dates to be released.  seems like the only way to know for sure for sure for sure is to see what the pvp says, make sure the bookings are linked, cross my fingers and worst case scenario, enjoy my last cruise as a Goldie before becoming platinum.    I do appreciate you guys chiming in.   very interesting. 

congrats Davey on getting to Diamond.   

22 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I have no useful insight to offer about what happens on a B2B, but how about:

Book a 14 day Journeys cruise instead!  Guaranteed you'll be Platinum first day!

Unfortunately, though, one of the best perks of being Platinum (early access to your cabin) doesn’t exist on Journeys cruises. Because there are just too many Diamond and Platinums on these types of cruises. I’m thinking that the Transatlantic that I booked for our first Platinum cruise might be the same way. I’ve heard that was the case with the Horizon’s TA. 

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this thread to ask a very similar question to the OP's.

Here's my situation: I have a BTB (my first) booked for January 2020.  The BTB is two 5-Day cruises.  I am currently Gold with 66 Points.  I will technically hit my 75-point mark, making me Platinum, on the penultimate day of the second leg of the BTB.  I realize that I will definitely be Platinum for all of the second leg.  But I would really like to know if I will indeed, as others have reported, be Platinum for both legs.  If I am going to be Platinum for the whole BTB, I do not need to buy FTTF.  But if I am not Platinum until the second leg, I will be buying FTTF for the first leg.

I can't check to see what my level is on my docs until October, when my online check-in becomes available. 

I'll be asking my PVP in a few weeks when I call him about some other details.  But, I don't know how much I can trust the answer of one PVP.  Incidentally, I booked this cruise with a substitute PVP because mine was on vacation at the time and she told me that I'll be Platinum for the second leg, but not the first.  But based on what i'm reading here, that may not be the case.

So my question / request is:  has anyone here experienced this situation and NOT been awarded the next VIFP level for both legs of their BTB?

We did the same thing, took a 15 day B2B to turn Platinum. We were Platinum on both cruises, even though we didn’t technically turn Platinum until the last day of the second cruise. I was shocked when the priority luggage tags showed up. It may be because I asked my TA to give Carnival the head’s up. So if you do book, advise your TA or PVP or call Carnival. It might work.

We are currently booked for a B2B in March on the Sunshine.  We will turn Platinum during the second leg.  When I check my cruise documents it shows me as gold the first cruise and platinum on the second.  As it gets closer I am going to call Carnival and ask if I need to have them linked to see if it makes a difference.   I have already called once and they said I would not turn Platinum until the second cruise.  I will try again to see if I get a different answer. 

3 minutes ago, booboo1964 said:

We are currently booked for a B2B in March on the Sunshine.  We will turn Platinum during the second leg.  When I check my cruise documents it shows me as gold the first cruise and platinum on the second.  As it gets closer I am going to call Carnival and ask if I need to have them linked to see if it makes a difference.   I have already called once and they said I would not turn Platinum until the second cruise.  I will try again to see if I get a different answer. 

Thanks.  I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have to deal with catching FTTF when it comes out and that I'll get Platinum status from the start.  It feels like it's too soon to call my PVP and ask about this when I can't even see my docs yet, so i'm just waiting and hoping and wondering in the meantime.  I do know that my booking numbers are linked.  I made sure of that when I booked with the sub PVP.  Here's hoping we both get our status bump at the start of our BTBs!:classic_happy:

5 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Has anyone been in this turning-Platinum(or Gold or Diamond)-on-a-BTB situation and NOT been awarded the next VIFP level at the start of the first leg?

I’m in almost the exact situation as you. I’ll be at 67 next Feb going on a 5-4 b2b. I started a thread on this when I was looking to book. I want to say it had conflicting info as well and the best bet is to link the two and hope for the best. Let me find that thread.

53 minutes ago, booboo1964 said:

The reason it says Gold is because you haven't taken the first cruise yet.  You have to first take it, not just book it

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m in almost the exact situation as you. I’ll be at 67 next Feb going on a 5-4 b2b. I started a thread on this when I was looking to book. I want to say it had conflicting info as well and the best bet is to link the two and hope for the best. Let me find that thread.

Thanks!  I hadn't seen your thread before.  Yep, conflicting info. Darn.

We are going on B2B again Feb 9th, 2019. We will have enough points to be platinum on the second leg, just checked our boarding pass and we are platinum on the first leg as well. It doesn't show up anywhere else online only on the boarding pass. This will be our 3rd B2B and they are great. Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

When I hit 25 days on the second leg of a B2B I turned gold on the first cruise.  Let's add a twist to this.  What would happen if you turn Platinum on the last day of a B2B2B?  According to Carnival they can only link 2 cruise together at a time.  I am not sure what would happen with hitting 75 days on the 3rd.  Presently I am booked on a B2B2B2S  3 7 day cruises on Glory and a 5 day on Valor.  At this time I will hit 75 days during the Valor trip.  I am thinking of adding another 5 day cruise before all of these, which would put me at 75 days like I stated above (on the last leg of the B2B2B).  Yet another twist if I stay as is, I will hit Platinum during the Valor cruise.  The problem is I get off Glory on Sunday and leave on Valor on Monday.  I am not sure if this is enough time for their system to recognize the previous 21 days?    Anyone experience any of this?