Credit Card Fraud

LG123

There are so many opportunities to steal credit card information ranging from bank employees to major hacking all the way down to stealing wallets out of shopping carts. In most cases the theft has no relation to your last transaction. Look at Marriott Starwood. 500 milllion accounts compromised from as far back as 2014. We've been compromised so many times now that he have free monitoring service. It just goes with the territory these days and there's nothing the average person can do except maybe never leave your wallet in a shopping cart.

12 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I never enter my credit card info on Royal's website.  I just opt for a cash account.  Then at check-in I give them the card to swipe to change to a credit card account.

Bob, what do you do to pay online for tours, dining plans, etc.

13 hours ago, LG123 said:

I used my laptop at home. I have done quite a bit of online shopping over the last week using my laptop with the same credit card and have not had any issues. Very strange!

Not strange at all...especially after you admit you did "quite a bit" of online shopping last week.  

I wouldn't assume that the fraud happened at the last place you used your card...could have been ANYWHERE you shopped in the last year or more.

Your credit card data could have been sitting for sale on a nefarious site for weeks or months.  Apparently someone bought it or otherwise acquired it and just now used it.  If there is money involved there is always someone trying to abuse the system and cheat.  

Purchasing an airline ticket with a stolen credit card though is pretty risky.  That's highly traceable and it's not like you can use a fake name to fly like many years ago. It it's cancelled the purchase goes back to the credit card that was used to purchase it.  If I was the credit card company I'd think about letting the transaction stand then having the police nab who ever showed up to fly that day.  

Edited by twangster

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

I have a Royal Caribbean Visa card that I only use for purchasing RCL cruises and for onboard charges, and Visa has had to replace it 5 times so far because of fraudulent charges on the card. It has never been used for anything else. The only time the CC# is ever provided online is directly on RCL's booking site, yet RCL continuously denies that the problem is at their end of the pipeline. So I have absolutely no doubt that the cause of the OP's fraudulent charges stems directly from the interaction with RCL.

BTW,the one time I used a different CC to book a RCL cruise, that card also had to be replaced due to fraudulent activity on the card.

Not necessarily. My husband has a card from Chase that had to be replaced due to a fraudulent charge so he was notified that a new one would be sent. Before he received the new one, he received another notice that this one had a fraudulent charge so it was being closed and another one would be sent.  There are many ways an account can be breached and it’s not always at the point of sale.

Sherri🙂

Our Target card was fraudulently used 20 months after the breach.

As someone mentioned plane tickets, I figured out how our card was used. Someone in Miami bought cheap airfare to Vegas online. The online seller used our card to buy full price tickets with our card and resold them for cheap.

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

I have a Royal Caribbean Visa card that I only use for purchasing RCL cruises and for onboard charges, and Visa has had to replace it 5 times so far because of fraudulent charges on the card. It has never been used for anything else. The only time the CC# is ever provided online is directly on RCL's booking site, yet RCL continuously denies that the problem is at their end of the pipeline. So I have absolutely no doubt that the cause of the OP's fraudulent charges stems directly from the interaction with RCL.

BTW,the one time I used a different CC to book a RCL cruise, that card also had to be replaced due to fraudulent activity on the card.

You should mention that to BOA.  

If one of their partner cards is the source of the data problem, they have a vested interest in fixing it- far, far more than you do- they are the ones who are out of the money.  So if you are smart enough to only use the card in one location, it should make tracking down the source of the breach a whole lot easier for BoA.  

And if there IS an RCI leak, BoA will certainly make sure RCI plugs the leak.

50 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

Not necessarily. My husband has a card from Chase that had to be replaced due to a fraudulent charge so he was notified that a new one would be sent. Before he received the new one, he received another notice that this one had a fraudulent charge so it was being closed and another one would be sent.  There are many ways an account can be breached and it’s not always at the point of sale.

Sherri🙂

Sorry, to disagree with you, but if you only use a card with one merchant, and never with anyone else or in any other manner than in direct contact with that merchant, there is only one way that account can possibly be compromised, and is because of the negligence of the merchant.

1 minute ago, alfaeric said:

You should mention that to BOA.  

If one of their partner cards is the source of the data problem, they have a vested interest in fixing it- far, far more than you do- they are the ones who are out of the money.  So if you are smart enough to only use the card in one location, it should make tracking down the source of the breach a whole lot easier for BoA.  

And if there IS an RCI leak, BoA will certainly make sure RCI plugs the leak.

I have done that with BoA on each occasion that the fraud occurred. They always say they are investigating, but nothing ever seems to change. The reality is that it is either RCL or the Merchant Services company that they use to process their CC payments. As we have all seen with how RCL handles their websites and customer service, they are experts at "scarecrow management" - pointing the finger for their ineptness at anyone else but themselves.

Just now, orville99 said:

I have done that with BoA on each occasion that the fraud occurred. They always say they are investigating, but nothing ever seems to change. The reality is that it is either RCL or the Merchant Services company that they use to process their CC payments. As we have all seen with how RCL handles their websites and customer service, they are experts at "scarecrow management" - pointing the finger for their ineptness at anyone else but themselves.

Cool.

One does need to remember that other than a massive inconvenience, the card owner isn't liable for the charges, the bank is.  If they don't want to patch up the leaks that may be from one of their card partners, it's their monetary loss.  Which is a shame for them.

Not fun, but as long as I'm not stuck with the bill, BoA can deal with it. 

In the UK people are having letter from their credit card company stolen from their mail boxes. The thieves then ring the credit card company to request a new card and pin number, without the owner knowing their card has been compromised.      

Generally I would not expect a scammer could get your credit card number and use it twice in 15 minutes. They don’t get credit cards in real time. They grap them in the middle of the night and then use them. I would expect it to take several days.

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

I have a Royal Caribbean Visa card that I only use for purchasing RCL cruises and for onboard charges, and Visa has had to replace it 5 times so far because of fraudulent charges on the card. It has never been used for anything else.

I had a card that was hacked a couple of times a year. The last time it happened was with a recently replaced card - so recent that I had only made one charge for school photographs. I checked back for the other times it had been fraudulently used, and every time was within a day or two of paying for school photographs. The company denied that it could be happening on their end. I sent in checks after that, and went years before a mass hack of the grocery store I shopped at compromised my card. 

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Sherri🙂

Same happened to me a few years ago.  Got a call from Chase that my United Explorer card was hacked.  Received the replacement and a day later got another call and the 2nd card was replaced.  I had to make sure that I had the proper card before using.:classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Cool.

One does need to remember that other than a massive inconvenience, the card owner isn't liable for the charges, the bank is.  If they don't want to patch up the leaks that may be from one of their card partners, it's their monetary loss.  Which is a shame for them.

Not fun, but as long as I'm not stuck with the bill, BoA can deal with it. 

Not in all cases.  

If the merchant fails to use a chip card reader, the merchant is responsible for the fraudulent charge.  On-line, the merchant must use the CVV/CVC value.

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

Sorry, to disagree with you, but if you only use a card with one merchant, and never with anyone else or in any other manner than in direct contact with that merchant, there is only one way that account can possibly be compromised, and is because of the negligence of the merchant.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. My husband had not used his card as he had not received  it yet but there was a fradulent charge on it. So, obviously, there are other ways to breach a card than by going through a merchant. 

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 8:59 PM, cb at sea said:

Happens all the time, everywhere!  I hadn't used my cards in weeks, and yet someone MADE a "fake" card and used in in CANADA...they actually SWIPED it on a terminal.  I got a call from the credit card company, asking if I'd bought $2600 worth of crap in Canada!  Lol!  I said, I don't even have a passport....how could I go there????  

They removed the charges and issued a new card.  Happens all the time.

Yeap.  I have had a card compromised a number of times.

Normally, they contact me about the strange charges.

But even if they don't, just call, tell them which ones are wrong and they will remove them and cancel the card and issue a new one.

Some companies can block use of the card except when it is physically present.  So you can continue to use it on your trip for hotels and such.

Of course, that does not help in your case.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:49 AM, twangster said:

Purchasing an airline ticket with a stolen credit card though is pretty risky.  That's highly traceable and it's not like you can use a fake name to fly like many years ago. It it's cancelled the purchase goes back to the credit card that was used to purchase it.  If I was the credit card company I'd think about letting the transaction stand then having the police nab who ever showed up to fly that day.  

I had one instance my card was hacked.  One of the purchases was 4 airline tickets from Las Vegas to Charlotte.  Complete with full names. 😄