Oosterdam.....just back

MISTER 67

We were on the same sailing and I laugh at all the posts saying this is the new favorite ship.   We love Eurodam but this one is also a new fave for us too.

Crew was absolutely the best I can remember, not that we are usually disappointed, but they were sooooo friendly and every experience was great.

Food was very good as others stated.

We were not impressed with singers and dancers.  

We were aft on 6th floor and always had hot water.  I am not doubting those who didn't, but it's not shipwide.

I second the comment about the ease of getting chairs at pool.   Both midship and seaview always had chairs.  I had guessed ship was not full.

1 hour ago, gkworboy said:

Heading on the Oosterdam for New Years with my family.  My wife was very apprehensive about this ship because of prior reviews- we have never traveled HAL before, lots of cruises under our belt - with our line of choice being Celebrity - and ship choice Reflection.   We chose this for the relaxation aspect with our two boys (university and grade 12) during their Christmas break from school.  And the timing of the trip, and price.  Your review took the pressure off - Thanks!

We bounce between Celebrity and HAL.   We prefer the food, service, and overall experience on HAL.  We are elite on X so really try to like it better, but after each cruise we wish we had stayed with HAL.  I think you will enjoy Oosterdam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lvz2cruz said:

We bounce between Celebrity and HAL.   We prefer the food, service, and overall experience on HAL.  We are elite on X so really try to like it better, but after each cruise we wish we had stayed with HAL.  I think you will enjoy Oosterdam.

We are all about the food quality and service - looking forward to trying something new.

Thanks for your positive review!  Hubby and I sail on Oosterdam January 26.  It's only our second HAL cruise, but we are truly excited about it!  We usually sail Princess, but the price for the Neptune Suite and the dates worked better for us.

On 12/2/2018 at 5:10 PM, cat shepard said:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I will be sailing on her next year, and am interested in knowing several things:

Did you use the pool area or fitness center at all? If so was either crowded at any particular time?  We used the pool and hot tubs several times.  Most days you could find a lounge at the mid-pool at any time.  Lunch time was the most crowded it seemed.  

if there were any stand out food options that you believe “should not be missed”?  We enjoyed many of the foods in the MDR especially the lamb.  Soups are very good too.  We miss not having a fruit offering for an appetizer and not having any cold soups to choose from.

And if you enjoy an occasional glass of wine, did you purchase any type of wine or beverage package? Any particular wine you believe is worth a try?  Twice we  purchased the wine package offered.  There were three tiers of wine choices and we chose the middle one because there were a couple of wines that we particularly liked.  

Did you visit Explorer Cafe for coffee? Do you know what time they started serving coffee?  Did you try any of their snacks or special treats?  I bought coffee there and had hot and cold cafe latte, a frozen mocha (don't remember the name of it).  It was lovely to go up and read with a good cup mid-morning.  Only snacks were the bar nuts since we didn't want to spoil our dinners.

Thank you for opening it up to questions! I know things can change from cruise to cruise, but I am curious.

We spent 26 nights on the ship in October and November.  We really enjoyed the size and the wonderful staff.  Have added comments above in red.  We didn't have any problems of any consequence.  The draperies in our room were light obstructing and kept almost all the light out.  The only real wear and tear that needs to be redone were the insides of the glass elevators mid-ship.  Had fantastic servers named Nur and Dede at Traditional 8 p.m. MDR.  Thresa at the Purser's Desk was absolutely wonderful in sorting out a problem when our credit card was compromised and we had to have a new one sent to us in Lisbon.  Would go on the Oosterdam again in a heart beat.

Thanks so much for your review. Just off the Eurodam cruising the Mexican Rivera. Loved it! Never got off the ship. Decided to do it again next December - but had the choice of Oosterdam or Eurodam. The price for Oosterdam was quite a bit less, so we went with her. Your review really helped reinforce our decision. Bet the price will rise when the good reviews catch up with the previous negative opinions. HAL ships are so beautiful around the Holidays!

Thank you so much, we are going on Dec. 29th.  

Few questions

How much are wifi packages?

Can you carry on soda and bottled water.

We are staying in cabin 4157, I have read it could be noisy because it is above the MDR, Is this true?

We are hoping to go to the Coba ruins, does anyone know if there is a good cheaper alternative to the EXC tour offered.

Thanks

Excited to hear that previous reviews of a sad, worn ship are not true!  We are on the Oosterdam in 80 days, and my sister sails on her January 12th!  We are happy to be on any HAL ship and love the staff, service, amenities and the food of course!   So sad that others have to be so critical of what to us is a grand adventure!  We love cruising HAL and any day on a ship is better than a cold, winter Vermont day!

So glad to hear the prior reviews of the Oosterdam are not what she is currently!  I was beginning to wonder if we made a mistake booking this ship.  My sister sails on her January 12th and we sail on March 16th!    We have been on Veendam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam and Westerdam and have never been disappointed!  Thank you for the review!

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2018 at 5:10 PM, cat shepard said:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I will be sailing on her next year, and am interested in knowing several things:

Did you use the pool area or fitness center at all? If so was either crowded at any particular time?

We were on the Oosterdam for 16 days last March.   The fitness center was never very busy and always empty treadmills and bikes.  The weight bench area could be a little tight on sea days.    Had a very hard time getting the guy staffing the gym to properly inflate the Bosu.  He said that was the way it was supposed to be.  I didn't know about going online and posting comments (free) while on the ship to get the problem taken care of by upper management.  

We were extremely happy on the Oosterdam.   The dining room was excellent, PG and Canaletto were excellent too.  

I do believe they did.   They were probably folded up against the wall and unused.  They are the common high quality brand they have in gyms.  You might be able to scope them out on ship pictures on CC.  The gym on the Kdam is so big the rowers don't have to be folded.  Nonetheless the gym on the Oosterdam is very nice.