How long do you think this will take?

MommyRobin

I'm travelling with a large party (20+) on the Getaway in March. Our flight gets to Miami at 11 (same day as embarkation). We'll all have checked luggage to get, but transportation to the port has been prearranged. In your experience, how long do you think that it will take to actually be on the ship, say, having a bite to eat?

You might try asking your question on the Florida departures board (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/)

20+ people are a lot of people to coordinate getting their luggage, getting on the "bus" to the port, etc.  If it were me, I'd skip finding a place to eat and go to the port and check in.  Then get something to eat on the ship.

4 minutes ago, The Other Tom said:

You might try asking your question on the Florida departures board (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/)

20+ people are a lot of people to coordinate getting their luggage, getting on the "bus" to the port, etc.  If it were me, I'd skip finding a place to eat and go to the port and check in.  Then get something to eat on the ship.

Thanks for the reply, and that's a good suggestion to look on the other board. 

I agree that I'd like to hold off getting something to eat til we're on the ship... just wondering how long we can anticipate that taking. 

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Arrive at gate: 11:00

Get checked bags: 11:45

Get on bus: 12:30

Arrive at port: 1:00

Through security: 1:15

Through check in: 1:30

At Taste/Savor 1:45

Done lunch: 3:15

Muster: 3:30

Sailaway: 4:00

All based on having 20 people in tow. 

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

3 minutes ago, MommyRobin said:

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

It’s all best guess. With 20 people, there will always be someone who misplaced something, or (like a little kid) decides that they need a restroom just as the group is ready to move. And the restaurant will be slow with that many orders. 

Muster is 30 min before departure. Your group will be scattered based on their cabin location. 

Also,,,, unless you have made special arrangements, NCL uses two terminals based on odd/even deck numbers. If you have mixed decks, your group will be split between Terminal B and C. You may want to check on getting a group check in at one terminal. 

42 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It’s all best guess. With 20 people, there will always be someone who misplaced something, or (like a little kid) decides that they need a restroom just as the group is ready to move. And the restaurant will be slow with that many orders. 

Muster is 30 min before departure. Your group will be scattered based on their cabin location. 

Also,,,, unless you have made special arrangements, NCL uses two terminals based on odd/even deck numbers. If you have mixed decks, your group will be split between Terminal B and C. You may want to check on getting a group check in at one terminal. 

The vast majority of us (if not all) are all on one floor. I definitely know that it's all an estimate, but I have a bit of faith in the fact that it's mostly adults in the party (and the ones who are kids are all older. My 12 year old is the youngest. ) Also,  if we get separated into smaller groups I don't think it will be a big deal. 

Are all -20- of you arriving on the same flight ? Same airline ?

NCL has a transfer service bus coordinator in each of the main airline baggage claims.

Have you contracted with NCL for that bus service?

Thus arriving on separate airlines not all of your party maybe on the same bus.

If you have contracted with a private other service what have you done to establish a meeting place ?

Birdtravels schedule works if all are together

6 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Are all -20- of you arriving on the same flight ? Same airline ?

NCL has a transfer service bus coordinator in each of the main airline baggage claims.

Have you contracted with NCL for that bus service?

Thus arriving on separate airlines not all of your party maybe on the same bus.

If you have contracted with a private other service what have you done to establish a meeting place ?

Birdtravels schedule works if all are together

The "leader" of our party knows the specifics (I don't) but our whole group has booked the same package that was offered through our airline. So flights, transfers, cruise, etc. is all taken care of by our TA.

Don't forget the gunman holed up close to San Diego Airport a couple of years ago.  Planes were diverted all over California and nearly 100 people missed the ship.  The first port was in the South of Mexico 4 days later!!

OK insurance will pay BUT do you really want the hassle.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:50 PM, MommyRobin said:

I'm travelling with a large party (20+) on the Getaway in March. Our flight gets to Miami at 11 (same day as embarkation). We'll all have checked luggage to get, but transportation to the port has been prearranged. In your experience, how long do you think that it will take to actually be on the ship, say, having a bite to eat?

Assuming that your flight is on time and no ones luggage is lost you should be ready to board by 12:50.  When you get on board will depend on the line in the terminal.

Get checked bags: 11:30

Get on bus: 11:45

Arrive at port: 12:10

Through security: 12:20

Through check in: 12:45

At Taste/Savor 1:00

Done lunch: 2:00

Edited by zqvol

23 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Assuming that your flight is on time and no ones luggage is lost you should be ready to board by 12:50.  When you get on board will depend on the line in the terminal.

Get checked bags: 11:30

Get on bus: 11:45

Arrive at port: 12:10

Through security: 12:20

Through check in: 12:45

At Taste/Savor 1:00

Done lunch: 2:00

Some of those times are extremely optimistic.  Every item form #3 - #7 could very easily takes 2x the time you list if not more (especially with 20 people in tow).  Is it possible that your times are valid, yes it is.  Then again it is possible that I can climb up on the roof of my two story home, jump off, and land on my feet with no physical damage.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:03 PM, The Other Tom said:

I think the 'bite to eat' part was going to be on the ship. 

• Like 1

Would make a BIG difference if the group is chartered on the NCL Transfer Service as opposed to any

abc xyz operator. The NCL coordinator will have a manifest list of who is arriving on what flights and the times

and could alert the crew at the pier of any late arriving bus.

One thing missing is where this group is originating at - is it near or is it far and all from the same city area ?

Yes traveling and cruising on same day is dicey chancy but - the odds are generally in a favorable outcome.

Most notably the sad stories are the ones that are heard and read about affecting a small fraction of the

total guest load of a given cruise. "Still Yet" it is not a comforting thought for those it happens to.

Weather forecasts and help from the airline maybe able to get around the problem - mechanicals don't

happen all that much anymore - cancellations are another thing - the big guy airlines usually have the options

to make things work - the smaller new guy airlines up-a-creek w/o paddle are just that.

Going back to the start the OP is not the coordinator of this and from the answers in Posts 7 & 9  does not have

all the details of who is arriving from where when but does have enough info that 20 people upon arrival at

the Miami airport will be taking a (transfer?) bus to the pier. A check with the leader of this group is suggested

to provide additional comforting information about the transfer from the airport to the pier. I am sure all things

being equal everything will work out - but probably not down to the split second of the schedule of that above.

Once assembled and on board the only disruption for the group will be the muster drill - with enough time

eating can be done before that and after that the evening dining comes into play.

Since this group cruise is in March 2019 there is plenty of time to get everyone on the same page and

reveal the game plan - the group leader should be making all these arrangements or the TA in getting all

the information out to the individuals.

Now where did I put that manual - GROUP HANDLING 101 Version NCL

3 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Would make a BIG difference if the group is chartered on the NCL Transfer Service as opposed to any

abc xyz operator. The NCL coordinator will have a manifest list of who is arriving on what flights and the times

and could alert the crew at the pier of any late arriving bus.

One thing missing is where this group is originating at - is it near or is it far and all from the same city area ?

Yes traveling and cruising on same day is dicey chancy but - the odds are generally in a favorable outcome.

Most notably the sad stories are the ones that are heard and read about affecting a small fraction of the

total guest load of a given cruise. "Still Yet" it is not a comforting thought for those it happens to.

Weather forecasts and help from the airline maybe able to get around the problem - mechanicals don't

happen all that much anymore - cancellations are another thing - the big guy airlines usually have the options

to make things work - the smaller new guy airlines up-a-creek w/o paddle are just that.

Going back to the start the OP is not the coordinator of this and from the answers in Posts 7 & 9  does not have

all the details of who is arriving from where when but does have enough info that 20 people upon arrival at

the Miami airport will be taking a (transfer?) bus to the pier. A check with the leader of this group is suggested

to provide additional comforting information about the transfer from the airport to the pier. I am sure all things

being equal everything will work out - but probably not down to the split second of the schedule of that above.

Once assembled and on board the only disruption for the group will be the muster drill - with enough time

eating can be done before that and after that the evening dining comes into play.

Since this group cruise is in March 2019 there is plenty of time to get everyone on the same page and

reveal the game plan - the group leader should be making all these arrangements or the TA in getting all

the information out to the individuals.

Now where did I put that manual - GROUP HANDLING 101 Version NCL

Thanks so much. We are all traveling from Toronto to Miami through a major airline (same flight). 

Obviously,  I don't care at all if it's correct to the minute... I was more just wondering when I can anticipate feeding my hungry teen and preteen lunch. 

I *think* that we are transferring to the pier together (it's all part of the package, but I'm not sure what company provides this service). Other than that, we are totally fine to split into smaller groups. 

As a frequent traveler (1 or 2 flights a week) all over the U.S., I'd have to say that MIA has some of the longest waits for baggage delivery once you get off your plane and down to baggage claim. 

Aside from that, there's a lot of variables in your equation. At least your travel person has arranged all the transport, but beyond that there's the variables of security lines, Terminal entrance, check in time, deck & cabin location, traffic at the port (the time you'll be arriving is one of the busiest), and so on. 

I wouldn't expect that to the minute schedule offered above to work out exactly. What I would suggest is this: You're on vacation, and you're leaving on a cruise. Don't stress about to the minute arrangements....just go with the flow. "Don't Worry, Be Happy!"

14 hours ago, Cruise Master 55 said:

I would personally NEVER book to arrive the same day as embarkation.  Too risky, especially during the winter.  IF everything goes EXACTLY as planned you will be probably OK.  One glitch along the way, any sort of delay, you will be missing the ship.

Flying from Toronto in March.........yeah, no way I am taking a same day flight, It would make me too nervous.

Just went through MIA last month, it was over an hour after we landed to get our luggage. Of course each airline will be different. Regardless don't plan on eating until you are on the ship. The last thing you need to to eat and then find out there is a major delay on the way to the port. I know it is too late now but I feel your TA and who ever is coordinating on your side should have been more proactive and NEVER booked it on the same day, especially with an 11AM arrival. Remember "all aboard" is 2 hours before departure.

6 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

Just went through MIA last month, it was over an hour after we landed to get our luggage. Of course each airline will be different. Regardless don't plan on eating until you are on the ship. The last thing you need to to eat and then find out there is a major delay on the way to the port. I know it is too late now but I feel your TA and who ever is coordinating on your side should have been more proactive and NEVER booked it on the same day, especially with an 11AM arrival. Remember "all aboard" is 2 hours before departure.

One quick very important question:

DID THE TA BOOK THE TRANSFER WITH NCL or abc-xyz once upon a time ?

If booked with NCL this will not mean that the ship will be held from sailing but

arrangements can be made to quickly move these 20 or so folks upon arrival at

MIA airport to the pier and the NCL ground coordinator getting all these folks

registration and check-in stuff ready for processing and the NCL bus will have

priority parking and luggage handling at the pier.

Think of it a pre-cruise shore excursion NCL will at least be aware of the situation.