One category upgrade

UKPete71

Celebrity UK is currently closed so I cannot call them. If I were to book a cruise online how do I get the one category upgrade, as putting in my Captain''s Club number has no impact on the pricing that's showing online?

Do I book the higher grade, ie 1A or 2A and then call them the next day to get the price recalculated to 1B/2B etc? Or do I book the 1B/2B and then get them to select my preferred 1A/2A stateroom?

I know it says online that the one category upgrade has to be done at the time of booking, but I cannot see that it is possible when booking online, and I do not want to wait until tomorrow to call them, as ideally I'd like to grab a bargain in the current sale that's due to end later. I've spoken to a travel agent in the UK and they couldn't give a definitive answer.

If someone in the UK has any experience of how this works I would appreciate what happened.

I appreciate that it's unlikely I will book the cruise before the current sale in the planner ends, but it'll be good to know for future reference.

In the US it cannot be done online; not certain if it is same in the UK, but in US one needs to request this over the phone. I have just called and made the reservation over-the-phone when taking advantage of this perk, but have read on Cruise Critic of people booking online and then calling to make the adjustment. Again in the US, when I have heard of people doing this, they booked and paid for the lower category online and then called to be moved up (for no additional charge) one category. Keep in mind there are restrictions on what categories apply; the example you give is fine, but for others viewing this thread this perk does not apply to suites, guarantees, moving from a C2-to-a-C1 or for moving from one type of category to another - i.e. a C1 to A2).

• Like 1

I recently booked through my agent in the UK, they advised that they could not process the upgrade, I have e mailed Captains Club UK to request my upgrade, will keep you posted once I have received their response 

• Like 1

The travel agent I spoke to earlier obviously wants her commission as she's just called me back to say she's made some enquiries with her colleagues and has said to book the lower category. She will call Celebrity tomorrow to get the upgrade processed and get the stateroom reassigned to the one I want. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Put the your desired cabin in the higher category on a 24 hour hold and call to finalize.

There is an often forgotten additional requirement for the one category upgrade - cabins in both categories must be available. For example, you cannot book a 1A and request the 1B fare unless there is also at least one 1B cabin available for booking.

Thus, in addition to putting a hold on your desired cabin, it might be prudent to also place a hold on a cabin in the lower category if there are only a few of them left available. You can then have Celebrity release the hold on the lower category cabin at the time they book your held desired cabin.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser
  • Like 1

If you are in the UK, DO NOT book the lower category cabin! you will not be allowed to change it.

The upgrade is applied at the time of booking only. I've always had to do this on the phone, either direct with Celebrity or with an agent who is live on the phone to Celebrity.

If your agent tells you it can be changed later, get another agent.

39 minutes ago, steve ch said:

If you are in the UK, DO NOT book the lower category cabin! you will not be allowed to change it.

The upgrade is applied at the time of booking only. I've always had to do this on the phone, either direct with Celebrity or with an agent who is live on the phone to Celebrity.

If your agent tells you it can be changed later, get another agent.

Er, ok. 😂

My agent has just called to say she’s spoken with Celebrity and they’ve processed the upgrade this morning, after the agent had booked the lower cabin category last night. She couldn’t do it during the booking process because Celebrity’s UK office was shut.

29 minutes ago, UKPete71 said:

Er, ok. 😂

My agent has just called to say she’s spoken with Celebrity and they’ve processed the upgrade this morning, after the agent had booked the lower cabin category last night. She couldn’t do it during the booking process because Celebrity’s UK office was shut.

I'm glad it worked out.