Medications

susan12369

I travel internationally a LOT.  I am a million miler on two different airlines (almost 2 million on one of them).  I am Diamond on Delta, Gold on United, and Platinum on American (yes at the same time).

I have traveled to 145 different countries.

I carry my daily pills in daily pill organizers.  And have never had an issue.

I also carry some pills (Ambien for jet lag, doxy for anti malaria), in bottles that are not prescription bottles.

NEVER had an issue.  NEVER even been asked about them or even had them looked at.  Not by TSA or folks in other countries.

The ONLY time any medication was an issue was a tube of cream used in dressing a slow healing wound I had.  Security at Heathrow (one time only, even though I went through there a number of times with it) gave me a hard time as it was a large tube (WELL over 100 ml) and did not have a prescription label.  But the officer stated he knew what it was, and knew it was prescription and allowed it.  But this was a CREAM (semi liquid), NOT pills.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:14 PM, broberts said:

TSA has every right to establish that what purport to be medicine are in fact medicine. Complaining about an agent reading labels is at best going to be ignored. 

• 3 weeks later...

We always bring original containers. I always get an original container from our pharmacy for each medication a week before we leave and fill each one with the number of days of our trip plus one extra week. We have been on vacation before and ended up in the hospital and the doctors needed original bottles to be able to continue giving you the medications while under there care. We also have a note from doctor that is dated within a week prior of trip that lists medical conditions and medications with doctor signature and date. That comes in handy at a hospital as well as it prevents a lot of issues arising that can. I would rather be over prepared than under. I do this for every road, flying, cruise trip no matter where we are going. Anything can happen and if you only have a medicine pill box with pills in it that will do you no good for verifying your medication and dosages you take to any doctor or pharmacy if you need a temporary fill because the pills you brought fell down the sink or something. Etc... This is just me and our experiences 

I have been emergency admitted to hospitals several times.  And also gone in for scheduled procedures several times.

I have NEVER had to come up with anything more than telling them (or having a family member tell them in the case of a accident) what my medications were and the doses.

And for most common drugs, if they know you are taking something for say high blood pressure, they can look at the pills and figure out the drug and dosage.

Yes, if you cannot remember what you are taking, have it written down.  But I have never heard of having to have a letter from your doctor to continue any common drug treatment.

On 1/1/2019 at 9:31 AM, SRF said:

I have been emergency admitted to hospitals several times.  And also gone in for scheduled procedures several times.

I have NEVER had to come up with anything more than telling them (or having a family member tell them in the case of a accident) what my medications were and the doses.

And for most common drugs, if they know you are taking something for say high blood pressure, they can look at the pills and figure out the drug and dosage.

Yes, if you cannot remember what you are taking, have it written down.  But I have never heard of having to have a letter from your doctor to continue any common drug treatment.

I was only saying what works for us. It has nothing to do with memory or anything. It just made things go much smoother in a hospital or clinic that was hundreds or thousands of miles away. Without such papers, original containers, etc it would not have been as smooth and a lot of time would have been wasted. I have had several doctors tell me thank you for being so prepared and providing those papers and how much easier it made things.  What works for one may not for others. I have heard a lot of horrid stories about peoples experiences and it was also recommended by one of our doctors to do what we do, so we do it this way and have been for over 20 years!. I never said anything was "common". Anyway, we do what is best for us, you do what is best for you and again, I was only sharing what our experiences have been. 

I agree that it could help.   But you stated they could not continue your meds without info from your doctor, which just is not true.

We have been on vacation before and ended up in the hospital and the doctors needed original bottles to be able to continue giving you the medications while under there care. 

Where did this occur?

You could have a simple written list of your meds and dosages, and they would have been just as happy.

I just happen to not take that many, so can remember the drugs and dosages, and nothing is so critical that even if I did get them that there would be a major issue.

But again, there is no requirement that you have letters from your doctor or such to get a hospital to continue your normal daily meds.

6 hours ago, SRF said:

I agree that it could help.   But you stated they could not continue your meds without info from your doctor, which just is not true.

Where did this occur?

You could have a simple written list of your meds and dosages, and they would have been just as happy.

I just happen to not take that many, so can remember the drugs and dosages, and nothing is so critical that even if I did get them that there would be a major issue.

But again, there is no requirement that you have letters from your doctor or such to get a hospital to continue your normal daily meds.

Geez! You are something else. 

Yes, some of the meds would not have been continued until they verified through her doctor that prescribed them if we didn't have the doctor signature/note and or original current container. On a weekend that is nearly impossible to do same with a holiday so I always come prepared so make things run smoother! Its no big deal and its just a piece of paper to carry. I'd rather be prepared for problems to prevent them than NOT. I have been doing this for so long now that I know how to be prepared and prevent issues that could arise to make it as smooth as possible. I have also heard where people have so many issues not being prepared and having as much documentation as possible which is also always a good idea to carry medical reports (I don't but many do these days as well).  But like I SAID, YOU DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU and WE WILL DO WHAT WORKS FOR US! I shared our experiences as you did you. Not everyone is going to have the same experience as YOU and just because YOU don't have issues does NOT mean others won't either! Everyone's situations are DIFFERENT. Everyone is on DIFFERENT medication! ETC. Hospitals, ERs, Clinics are getting more strict.  Happy Cruising! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, susan12369 said:

I appreciate everyone's input.  Snarkiness isn't helpful, everyone has different experiences.

You just have to look past that stuff.  Specific to your question, the fact is, there is no law saying your meds need to be in original bottles.  Enjoy your cruise.