Best made plans...but

That happened to me last Feb. I got to the airport and realized I didn't have my passport. I had gotten up in the middle of the night and pulled stuff out to do on-line check-in for the airport and was so tired I left everything on the couch. My husband had his with his stuff. My son-in-law had to drive back to our house, get the passport and drive back to the airport. We made our flight by 5 min. 

7 hours ago, sunnydaysmile said:

Poorly executed. Drove from Florida’s west coast to hotel near port canaveral the night before sailing on Oasis. Took a leisurely drive the next morning to the port, parked the car. As we were getting the suitcases, it dawned on me that neither one of us had our passport😩

The time was 1030 and on a good day it takes 2 1/2 hours to home. Called emergency number and was told we had to board at 330pm. We decided to give it a go. 5 hour drive and we would just make it. Got home in record time, grabbed passports, got gas and we were off again. 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Thanking God the whole time. No traffic incidents so far.  GPS had us arriving at 335pm. Was thinking we may need to book a flight to Nassau for the next day. I called the emergency number and spoke to another person and he told me last boarding time was 4pm. By God’s Grace we safely got to the port, boarded with all our luggage and was in cabin by 350pm.  Lesson learned- keep passports with set sail documents. 

That is probably the first thing I check before we leave the house.  I double/triple check that I have our passports.  In the front pocket of my bag and I check all the time.  Never would go without it.  Right next to my Set Sail pass.  Thank goodness you made it

8 hours ago, sunnydaysmile said:

Poorly executed. Drove from Florida’s west coast to hotel near port canaveral the night before sailing on Oasis. Took a leisurely drive the next morning to the port, parked the car. As we were getting the suitcases, it dawned on me that neither one of us had our passport😩

The time was 1030 and on a good day it takes 2 1/2 hours to home. Called emergency number and was told we had to board at 330pm. We decided to give it a go. 5 hour drive and we would just make it. Got home in record time, grabbed passports, got gas and we were off again. 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Thanking God the whole time. No traffic incidents so far.  GPS had us arriving at 335pm. Was thinking we may need to book a flight to Nassau for the next day. I called the emergency number and spoke to another person and he told me last boarding time was 4pm. By God’s Grace we safely got to the port, boarded with all our luggage and was in cabin by 350pm.  Lesson learned- keep passports with set sail documents. 

Well I’m impressed!!

OP, I seriously have recurring nightmares that we left home without our passports! We live 2-3 hours from our airport(s) of choice, and minimally a 12 hour drive from any cruise port. Yeah, I hate those nightmares! I'm so glad that you made your sailing!

If you don't get off the ship can you board the ship without a passport ?

What if you are going to Nassau and Coco Cay and don't plan on getting off the ship in Nassau.

Do you need your passport ?

I thought I only needed US photo ID to get through customs (?) in Nassau to return to the ship.

Do we need any ID at Coco Cay or just the room card 

5 hours ago, drneal said:

What if you are going to Nassau and Coco Cay and don't plan on getting off the ship in Nassau.

I thought I only needed US photo ID to get through customs (?) in Nassau to return to the ship.

You don't need a passport to get off the ship, however the Nassau port people do want a photo ID to get back to the ship.    No photo ID needed in Coco Cay.

6 hours ago, drneal said:

The passport / birth cert is primarily to get back into the US.

16 hours ago, sft429 said:

My next cruise in January I'm bringing a copy of my birth certificate, my courthouse issued birth certificate, my passport card, my passport, my Global entry card, my real ID drivers license, and my picture id weapons permits.  I'm getting on the damn boat lol

How many credit cards are you bringing?

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

How many credit cards are you bringing?

Heh, many, scattered around in every bag.  I make a list, on my phone, of which one I put where in case one would come up missing.  I hid something valuable in my house once when we left for a vacation and when we got back I didn't think about it.  A few weeks later I wondered about it and then couldn't remember where the hell I'd hid it...  It took months and even then I found it by accident.😦

Edited by sft429

Because they take up zero space and sure doesnt hurt to have them with us being so far from  home in case something absolutely unexpected happens. They will just stay in cruise folder I keep in backpack. Guess you werent a Boy Scout. Always Prepared.

23 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Wow, that was cutting it close!  Happy you made it back in time to sail.  Our rule is the car doesn't leave the driveway until the passports are shown in the car.  Doesn't matter if they were just put in the carryon in the kitchen, they have to be pulled out and revealed in the car before it is allowed to move.

Exactly what I do. Every stop also. Someone exited the car, show me a passport to resume travel. 

12 hours ago, sft429 said:

Heh, many, scattered around in every bag.  I make a list, on my phone, of which one I put where in case one would come up missing.  I hid something valuable in my house once when we left for a vacation and when we got back I didn't think about it.  A few weeks later I wondered about it and then couldn't remember where the hell I'd hid it...  It took months and even then I found it by accident.😦

Glad I am not the only one!  You made me feel better.

OP, I feel your pain!

Many years ago, I showed up at the airport for a flight to Cancun and showed the ticket agent my passport.  It had EXPIRED. I can't believe I was so stupid.  Well she directed me to some lady sitting nearby. I showed her my passport and she prepared some affidavit  and  notarized it.  I was able to leave and get back into the country with both documents.  I spent the whole trip worried about coming back home.