Best made plans...but

Poorly executed. Drove from Florida’s west coast to hotel near port canaveral the night before sailing on Oasis. Took a leisurely drive the next morning to the port, parked the car. As we were getting the suitcases, it dawned on me that neither one of us had our passport😩

The time was 1030 and on a good day it takes 2 1/2 hours to home. Called emergency number and was told we had to board at 330pm. We decided to give it a go. 5 hour drive and we would just make it. Got home in record time, grabbed passports, got gas and we were off again. 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Thanking God the whole time. No traffic incidents so far.  GPS had us arriving at 335pm. Was thinking we may need to book a flight to Nassau for the next day. I called the emergency number and spoke to another person and he told me last boarding time was 4pm. By God’s Grace we safely got to the port, boarded with all our luggage and was in cabin by 350pm.  Lesson learned- keep passports with set sail documents. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, sunnydaysmile said:

Poorly executed. Drove from Florida’s west coast to hotel near port canaveral the night before sailing on Oasis. Took a leisurely drive the next morning to the port, parked the car. As we were getting the suitcases, it dawned on me that neither one of us had our passport😩

The time was 1030 and on a good day it takes 2 1/2 hours to home. Called emergency number and was told we had to board at 330pm. We decided to give it a go. 5 hour drive and we would just make it. Got home in record time, grabbed passports, got gas and we were off again. 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Thanking God the whole time. No traffic incidents so far.  GPS had us arriving at 335pm. Was thinking we may need to book a flight to Nassau for the next day. I called the emergency number and spoke to another person and he told me last boarding time was 4pm. By God’s Grace we safely got to the port, boarded with all our luggage and was in cabin by 350pm.  Lesson learned- keep passports with set sail documents. 

Happy for you !

Wow, that was cutting it close!  Happy you made it back in time to sail.  Our rule is the car doesn't leave the driveway until the passports are shown in the car.  Doesn't matter if they were just put in the carryon in the kitchen, they have to be pulled out and revealed in the car before it is allowed to move.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, dwayneb236 said:

I've forgotten and think i may have read this somewhere. Aren't photocopies of BCs good enough now?

Not that I have seen.  I believe BCs still have to be certified copies.

Yep, this is from their site. Totally irrelevant to Royal so sorry I brought it up. 

• A clear, legible copy (photo copy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

11 minutes ago, parothead said:

does a 6 year old need a passport?

For US based closed loop cruises, a minor born in the US would need a passport booklet or passport card or certified birth certificate.

Our passports are ALWAYS in my carryon laptop bag which I take on every trip.  I only remove them if we're traveling domestically and don't need them or DH needs his for a work trip.  Otherwise, they stay in the bag at home, ready to go. I always triple check they are in the bag once we get in the car and head out.  Onboard, they go in the safe for the cruise itself.  DH and I watched an older man berate his wife at Baltimore port one time because they got in the security line and she was frantically searching her bag for their passports.  They were in the regular line and we were in the D+ line for security so we got through while they were searching her purse.  No idea what happened with them and we never saw them onboard.  We live only 1 hour and 15 min from Baltimore in good traffic so an easier thing to fix, but still.    A passport is always a good thing to have.  Next time we renew, we'll probably get the card too.

Edited by BND

9 minutes ago, parothead said:

does a 6 year old need a passport?

Just a birth certificate as long as both parents are cruising with them.

If only one parent is cruising with them, they need the travel authorization document here: https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/assets/pdf/family-travel/Notarised-Letter-Template-tcm16-8606.pdf

45 minutes ago, island284 said:

Just got off the Nav on Sunday in Miami and showed the CP agent both my passport and my global entry card. He told me the GE card would suffice. Don’t know if I believe him so I always have both with me. 

It does say the card is good for land and sea entry. So it sounds like it's use is just like a Passport Card, but has the extra plus of "skipping" US customs and some other countries recognizing the card and letting you through lessened security. 

6 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

It does say the card is good for land and sea entry. So it sounds like it's use is just like a Passport Card, but has the extra plus of "skipping" US customs and some other countries recognizing the card and letting you through lessened security. 

Might be better than a passport card if it can be used for all sea entries, not just US closed loop cruises.

49 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

For US based closed loop cruises, a minor born in the US would need a passport booklet or passport card or certified birth certificate.

From https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

• U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

11 minutes ago, sft429 said:

From https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

• U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

Thanks for the update, the photocopy option must have been added at some point.  I wonder if RC has updated their guidelines to their check-in agents to include the photocopy option.

It also looks like the photocopy option might only apply to children under the specified ages.  For adults on closed loop cruises, it just says "birth certificate" without specifying certified, original, or photocopy. 

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Thanks for the update, the photocopy option must have been added at some point.  I wonder if RC has updated their guidelines to their check-in agents to include the photocopy option.

I'm guessing that the cruise companies can still require what they want even if Customs and Border Control accept photocopies.

Just now, sft429 said:

I'm guessing that the cruise companies can still require what they want even if Customs and Border Control accept photocopies.

I added to my response above while you were typing.  They have differing (and confusing to me) terms for adults on closed loop cruises.

My next cruise in January I'm bringing a copy of my birth certificate, my courthouse issued birth certificate, my passport card, my passport, my Global entry card, my real ID drivers license, and my picture id weapons permits.  I'm getting on the damn boat lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2