Cozumel

MunsterMean

We never do the cruise line excursions. We venture on our own and it has usually (always) been a good decision.

In Cozumel, I highly recommend Nochi Cocom. It's our favorite thing to do in Cozumel and get away from the crowds. Definitely pre-reserve. Taxi's are abundant and affordable. All inclusive booze and food, and limited to less than 200 people daily. 

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/

• Like 1

We have. It was a cold and rainy December day. I was ready to go back to the ship after lunch.

Cozumel is beautiful. Cruises exist today sailing here from Galveston that are 4 nighters, or three full days aboard. One headed there, one in port and one headed back. Using that logic can I suggest saving a few coins between now and your cruise and looking at some of the beach resorts like Nachi Cocum, Playa Mia or Mr. Sanchos. All offer some the same things yet are different. 

The reason I say that is Nachi Cocum has a place to get out of the rain, sit and enjoy the view it it's cold and if warm as in most days enjoy some of the prettiest water in Mexico. The cost is $17 each way for the taxi and $55 per person total before gratuities. I will add some for that.

The point is the shops in and around the port sell essentially the same thing, and after about five of them they all look the same.

Expect a plethora of replies to your question, but at least review the shore excursions offered through Carnival or what independents like the two I mentioned (and many more) offer for making a great memory while in port.

Here are some of my images from our many trips to Nachi Cocum.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/leeusry/627Rj5

We've had fun at Mr. Sanchos, Playa Mia and Passion Island too.

39571061314_aff2cc5bae_k.jpg

39387204975_46d6a46c57_k.jpg

25418655917_7a7895622a_k.jpg

39387216825_dd0aaf06c5_k.jpg

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 1

Thank you for all of these suggestions! We are leaving from New Orleans this Saturday. Of course there is a 100% chance of rain in New Orleans when we are leaving and Cozumel is likely to receive rain and be cloudy the day we are there. We'll just have to play it by ear!

Yes, last cruise we just walked and shopped in Cosumel. There are some fun shops outside the gated area, but within sight of it. They had a cool little shop where the fish could eat your feet and tons of food. I wanted a Panama hat and found one for $50, but that was way too much. Kept walking and haggling and got one for $10. Same exact hat, brand, color and all. 

• Like 1

That's my plan for February. Take a taxi downtown, buy some souvenirs maybe have lunch. Last month on Allure we took a taxi to Paradise Beach. We had a nice time, but what started out as a cheap beach day still ended up costing over $200. 

We'll be there in January for about the 10th time.  We have rented scooters for a tour around the island and picked up a piece of driftwood which had a perfect crevasse for a large seashell that I found. Put the two together and have what I consider a wonderful reminder of Cozumel, for nothing.  We have also gone to Chanakaab for the day.  Other times took a taxi to town and walked around and then walked back. We've been to the market in town and a WONDERFUL shop is Chololateria Isla Bella Isla which I go to no matter what.   This time I am going to SkyReef, buying the Welcome Pkg for $18-snorkel, drink, massage, etc. So you have lots of options.

My boss surprised me with a check to go towards an excursion today at work (VERY generous of him!) as a Christmas gift. Might use that at Progreso and then at Cozumel go to Paradise beach or one of those private resorts that have been mentioned above. Thank you again everyone for the recommendations. Keep 'em coming 🙂

DH and I have been to Cozumel at least 20 times on cruises and we also ferried over from Playa del Carmen on several land vacations there. After doing Chankanaab Park, a beach  excursion another time, we decided just to go downtown to have lunch at one of the alfresco restaurants and shop afterwards. We took cabs downtown and back. All those times were very enjoyable. The last few times I have stayed on board and DH gets off to look for Cuban cigars and a quick lunch close to the ship.

I also recommend Nachi Cocom.  We were there on the Sensation.  We didn't dock until noon. If you are on a ship that docks in the afternoon Nanci stays open longer.  We went snorkeling there, my husband and I were the only 2 on the boat besides the 2 guys that took us out.  When we got back the resort had cleared out and we had the entire place to ourselves.  This was on Nov. 3, so it may have been where it was the slower season.  

Also, I highly recommend the pictures there.  Ivonne De Leon was our photographer and she is amazing.  Definitely worth more than we paid for them. You get one printed out the picture and a thumb drive with the other pictures.  You can look her up on facebook to see some of her work.  

Personally, I am not a fan of excursions. Last time we went, we spent some time downtown, and rented a moped where we visited the island. Paradise was nice, but I though to be overrated. I absolutely loved Chankanaab. It's a beautiful island. We had a blast exploring it. Next time, we are going to Mr Sanchos