P & O Revised Dress/Alcohol Code

comcox

I just received the following message from P & O:

"As of 1 February 2018, guests can only bring on board a single bottle of alcohol (up to 1 litre in size) as they embark the ship for the first time only. And alcohol bought at ports along the way cannot be consumed while on board.

Another policy change, as of 1 January 2018, means fancy dress, novelty or clothing personalised with images/slogans will not be permitted (a change from the policy wording in the January 2018 - October 2019 brochure)."

I will be doing my first P & O cruise this coming spring and don't know how this differs from before, but I wondering exactly what images they will ban--for example you buy a souvenir t-shirt in Lisbon.  Would one not be allowed to wear that on board?  What about patterns on the fabric of a clothing item?

Just now, CCFC said:

Its aimed at football shirts in my opinion and I doubt its policed unless you have done something to attract their attention.

Dont think it is aimed at football shirts directly except for evenings in MDR. I think there became a period where people were wearing t-shirts with offensive or what can be deemed offensive on their t-shirts and fancy dress that also could be sen as offensive. We were on Azura one night eating in Sindhu when a group of women walked past and one was wearing a fancy dress outfit of a male penis, obviously a hen party.

Commix - Until February of this year, you could take as much alcohol as you wanted when  you embarked and then buy duty free in the ports to drink in your cabin. Obviously people started abusing this so it had to end.

As others have said, the dress code was particularly aimed at groups who wore t-shirts wearing rude / offensive slogans (swear words, explicit vocabulary etc) or a group boarding in fancy dress. I haven't seen it on P&O but I have seen it on RCI.   One large group I saw was hens wearing sailor outfits and wearing them to dinner etc. Please don't be alarmed by this change. It's not something that was widespread and P&O just wanted to nip it in the bud. 

I don't know which lines you've cruised with before, but you might find people dress for dinner on P&O more than US lines and although you don't have to wear black tie, the policy is well supported. 

Edited by tartanexile81

First cruise on P&O coming up and we are very happy with the alcohol policy of one bottle of spirits each. That’s very generous compared to the US cruise lines who allow one bottle of wine each and nothing at all at ports of call. Anything you take on board is confiscated and returned on the last night. However, I can understand why long time P&O cruisers would be unhappy about the change. As for the fancy dress and offensive t -shirts, couldn’t be happier to see them banned. 

10 minutes ago, sandancer said:

First cruise on P&O coming up and we are very happy with the alcohol policy of one bottle of spirits each. That’s very generous compared to the US cruise lines who allow one bottle of wine each and nothing at all at ports of call. Anything you take on board is confiscated and returned on the last night. However, I can understand why long time P&O cruisers would be unhappy about the change. As for the fancy dress and offensive t -shirts, couldn’t be happier to see them banned. 

You’ll also find that the room service and bar prices are much cheaper than on US cruise lines. 

It is like anything, give people an inch and they take a mile. As has been said they used to allow you to take unlimited alcohol on board for consumption in your cabin or on balcony. Unfortunately people were sneaking it into the dining room and into bars etc and openly posting on social media about how clever they were getting away with it.  We  personaly never bother taking any onboard but those that did now have had it spoilt for them by the greedy few. 

As I understand it the ‘no slogan’ policy is mainly aimed at stag and hen parties wearing rude t-shirts etc. In the States I think you call them bachelor and bachelorette parties. We must have been lucky as have never come across any on cruises we have been on, I think they normally go on short 2, 3 or 4 day ones. 

Just come off Oriana...no problem taking onboard three or four bottles of alcohol and even at ports of call no-one was stopped bringing some aboard.  Those who were scared to do so handed in their purchases to collect at end of cruise.....not sure if it was because there is currently no drinks package on Oriana that they turned a blind eye.  Off on Aurora in a couple of weeks...wonder if it will be the same.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:46 PM, jessybell said:

Just come off Oriana...no problem taking onboard three or four bottles of alcohol and even at ports of call no-one was stopped bringing some aboard.  Those who were scared to do so handed in their purchases to collect at end of cruise.....not sure if it was because there is currently no drinks package on Oriana that they turned a blind eye.  Off on Aurora in a couple of weeks...wonder if it will be the same.

I was on the same cruise.

We took on several bottles of wine each both in hold bags and hand bags without issue,

And at ports, bags with bottles in went through the scanner but noone said "You need to hand that alcohol in",