Do you think Regent should offer some classical music ?

tripperva

2 hours ago, eliana said:

Thanks Flossie, Your onboard entertainment seems excellent. Who are the CD and Assistant CD and will they still be onboard the Explorer for the 6 January 2019 cruise?

CD: Margaret Lynn (on Explorer until early Feb, I believe)

Asst CD: Evan Bosworth

Edited by flossie009

15 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Tonight there is a performance by classical guitarist, Dimitris Dekavallas.

There has been a very good variety of entertainment on this cruise and we would not want to see any major changes to the mix.

As well as a good mixture of visiting entertainers, the following resident performers are also on board:

• Regent band/orchestra - 5piece
  • Production Cast - singers & dancers (including ballroom dancers giving lessons on sea days)
  • P&K Duo (popular music in the lounges)
  • Pianist Ross (mainly in the Observation Lounge)

In addition there have been performances by our CD and Assistant CD, who are both accomplished singers.

All performances in the theatre and other events have been well attended - whether for classical or other entertainment.

Based on this cruise, there is no need for a change to the entertainment offered by Regent.

On my November Explorer Cruise, the pianist in the Observation Lounge was using an amplified keyboard rather than the regular piano and the volume was really unpleasant.  

Throughout the ship I found the volume for the entertainment was generally too loud and the amplification seemed to distort or muddy the sound.  However, one night there was a duo in the Observation Lounge with no amplified sound and it was quite pleasant.

I'm curious how you find the volume levels in the various venues.

To those posters commenting on the volume of the music played in most venues (including me), the key to possibly having the volume lowered is to speak with the Cruise Director.  Explorer has had extremely loud music on our four cruises (in all venues - some louder than others).  I spoke with John Barron about it (specifically Nature's Rhythm) and was told that he asks them to lower the volume but they raise it up again as soon as he leaves.  Since Nature's Rhythm has likely been the favorite performers on Regent for many years, perhaps they let them do what they want to do but that does not explain why the rest of the music needs to be so loud.

Perhaps we need to look at the thread where posters were asking for headsets to enable them to hear tour guides.  As annoying as headsets can be, if music was piped into headsets, we could control our own volume.  It would be like the discos on other ships that have a "silent disco" with everyone listening to the music through earphones (except that they listen to different music so people look a bit strange - each dancing to their own beat).

In any case, overly loud music can cause hearing loss and this needs to be considered for Regent passengers.

Any pictures of the pianist Ross?  His name rings a bell and we're trying to remember our great pianist on Mariner a couple of years back.

BTW, just FYI, I was not suggesting that they immediately cancel the broadway-like shows and replace those performers with a bunch of classical musicians.

3 minutes ago, tripperva said:

And of course the original posts merely suggested a string quartet before dinner or perhaps classical piano.

Unless there is a string quartet amongst Regent's current group of entertainers, it would likely take a while to get contracts set up for all of the ships.  Plus, that issue of whether they would need to stay in revenue generating suites remains.  

I don't think that anyone is against the idea, it is something to be looked at and tested and then, if it makes sense to add a string quartet, it could possibly go forward (if Regent decides to take yet that far).  

In terms of piano, many pianists have a repertoire of classical music so it likely could be played (hopefully without amplification) without hiring new people.

I'm still happy with Regent's current offerings but have no issue with adding classical music - as long as current offerings remain.

I suppose Regent could fly in a really good pianist and a really good string virtuoso for a couple or so concerts, just like they do with other entertainers. I am not so sure about the appropriateness or popularity of a string quartet. Although a regular pianist, such as one in the orchestra or one used for regular entertaining in one of the bars, would have a good and broad repertoire, they are unlikely to be of sufficient quality for a piano recital of classical music even popular light classical.

Maybe, though, we shouldn’t ask too much. I have generally found I enjoy the current balance, like a good comedian, a good magician, a good vocalist and a good violinist. In fact I tend to enjoy these type of acts more than the Broadway style entertainments often with not quite first rate dancers and singers.

Edited by eliana

I thought that the original gist of this was to have classical music provided by kind of a 'roving band' of musicians, to play background in the atrium during boarding, maybe outside of CR before dinner, etc...not to perform full recitals to replace existing entertainment.  

Truth be told, maybe a high-quality sound system with discreetly placed speakers in some common areas with a varied repertoire would be acceptable...yeah, a live quartet would be good but a good hidden sound system doesn't take up cabin space or need fed...

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I thought that the original gist of this was to have classical music provided by kind of a 'roving band' of musicians, to play background in the atrium during boarding, maybe outside of CR before dinner, etc...not to perform full recitals to replace existing entertainment.  

Truth be told, maybe a high-quality sound system with discreetly placed speakers in some common areas with a varied repertoire would be acceptable...yeah, a live quartet would be good but a good hidden sound system doesn't take up cabin space or need fed...

Excellent point!

On 12/19/2018 at 3:13 AM, CruisetheCs said:

On my November Explorer Cruise, the pianist in the Observation Lounge was using an amplified keyboard rather than the regular piano and the volume was really unpleasant.  

Throughout the ship I found the volume for the entertainment was generally too loud and the amplification seemed to distort or muddy the sound.  However, one night there was a duo in the Observation Lounge with no amplified sound and it was quite pleasant.

I'm curious how you find the volume levels in the various venues.

Ross, the pianist in the Observation Lounge, generally plays the piano but also uses an electric keyboard.

The Observation Lounge tends to be the Lounge where it is easiest to have a conversation while music is playing but it does depend on where in the Lounge you sit.

Live music, by its very nature tends to be somewhat intrusive. If you want an intensive conversation then it is better to choose a time when music is not being played or go to one of the many quieter areas on the ship.

We have not noticed a particular problem of over-amplification or distortion on this present Explorer cruise.

More annoying to us was the “background music” played continuously on deck 11. It always seemed particularly annoying in the open area at the back of La Veranda during lunch. Sometimes we wondered about the definition of “background” and “music” 🙄

On 12/19/2018 at 8:17 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Any pictures of the pianist Ross?  His name rings a bell and we're trying to remember our great pianist on Mariner a couple of years back.

Ross Ranallo is a big, tall guy who is follically challenged and often sports keyboard patterned ties.

Here he is hosting “Guess the Tune” this afternoon

6E5F5CA5-DCFF-4C5A-BA60-CC31CBBA234C.thumb.jpeg.8516273c1744d11eacc02a0948b94a26.jpeg

I disagree that "live music by its very nature tends to be somewhat intrusive".  Before dinner music should be background music so that conversations can take place.  Late night music can be loud as long as it does not waft into the suite and disturb guests.

In our home city, we often go to lounges that play background music while we sip our drinks and have snacks.  The music is never too loud but is soothing and calming.

On 12/20/2018 at 5:53 PM, flossie009 said:

Ross, the pianist in the Observation Lounge, generally plays the piano but also uses an electric keyboard.

The Observation Lounge tends to be the Lounge where it is easiest to have a conversation while music is playing but it does depend on where in the Lounge you sit.

Live music, by its very nature tends to be somewhat intrusive. If you want an intensive conversation then it is better to choose a time when music is not being played or go to one of the many quieter areas on the ship.

We have not noticed a particular problem of over-amplification or distortion on this present Explorer cruise.

More annoying to us was the “background music” played continuously on deck 11. It always seemed particularly annoying in the open area at the back of La Veranda during lunch. Sometimes we wondered about the definition of “background” and “music” 🙄

Ross Ranallo is a big, tall guy who is follically challenged and often sports keyboard patterned ties.

Here he is hosting “Guess the Tune” this afternoon

6E5F5CA5-DCFF-4C5A-BA60-CC31CBBA234C.thumb.jpeg.8516273c1744d11eacc02a0948b94a26.jpeg

Oh yes, that's him!  Isn't he great?  We really enjoyed him, and got to know him pretty well over 18 days on Mariner.