Do you think Regent should offer some classical music ?

tripperva

37 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes - there are many talented musicians - not disputing that.  However, since "talent" sometimes have to take revenue generating suites, this needs to be taken into consideration as well.  And, someone or a group would need to be let go to accommodate the new group/individual.  Some talent already on Regent ships do play classical music, so, isn't it better to test out classical music in one venue to see how Regent passengers "take" to it?  

Sometimes I feel that "us" posters come up with great ideas but have no idea what it would take to implement them (the same can be said about changing back the suites on Mariner, for instance, to what they were before to give passengers more storage space).  And, Regent needs to decide what fits for the majority of their passengers.   

I don't know how proficient the onboard musicians are with string instruments - but I'd think that the Regent head shed could figure out whether it's worth trying and how to implement it.  That's why some of them make the big bucks.

As to the suite configuration, based on the feedback I've seen on CC, I'd say that Regent missed the mark on deciding what fits the majority of their passengers.  In fact, I can't recall reading a single post that said someone liked the new storage-free configuration better than the previous config.  And even if there were one or two positive comments, the negative comments surely outweigh the positives...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I don't know how proficient the onboard musicians are with string instruments - but I'd think that the Regent head shed could figure out whether it's worth trying and how to implement it.  That's why some of them make the big bucks.

As to the suite configuration, based on the feedback I've seen on CC, I'd say that Regent missed the mark on deciding what fits the majority of their passengers.  In fact, I can't recall reading a single post that said someone liked the new storage-free configuration better than the previous config.  And even if there were one or two positive comments, the negative comments surely outweigh the positives...

Agree with you about the suite configuration -- Regent did miss the mark on that.  However, the Mariner was just refurbished this year so it will not undergo another refurbishment for at least 2 1/2 years.  Hopefully Regent can add some type of storage when the Navigator is refurbished in 2019 and then the Voyager in 2020.  

My comment above comes from reading CC every day.  Posters have a long list of what they would like to change (and everyone's desires are not the same).  The ones that come to mind that have been commented on recently are:

1.  Play music from this century

2.  Play more classical music

3.  Put back the storage in the suites.

4.  Negative comment about the design of the pool area on Explorer (which I would wager will never be changed as it is fine now)

5.  Change the lighting in CR

6.  Coffee complaints (not solvable IMO) 

7.  Complaints about Destination Services (many times from me - one of the few things that I ever complain about as I think Regent does an excellent job and if I did not think so, I would change cruise lines).

8.  Champagne

The list goes on and on.  Maybe there should be a sticky so all the complaints/suggestions can go in one place (makes it easier to read for Regent and the rest of us don't have to read about it if we do not care to).

I don't want to get this off topic  (another thread has already gone into the suite storage issues) but keep in mind that anyone new to Regent has no idea what it used to look like.  Wonder if they are complaining?  

Sorry if I sound grumpy but sometimes it seems that Regent passengers are never satisfied.  If Regent did everything that you, I or anyone else requested, it is a sure bet that people would complain.  

TC, it seems that you are always coming up with a reason why (insert suggestion/complaint her) is not viable for financial or other reasons.   Let’s let Regent decide what they can or can’t do.  CC is like a focus group for them although they are not asking the questions.  Perhaps they should.   At any rate, I like the idea of a sticky where we can list suggestions for Regent’s perusal. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, forgap said:

TC, it seems that you are always coming up with a reason why (insert suggestion/complaint her) is not viable for financial or other reasons.   Let’s let Regent decide what they can or can’t do.  CC is like a focus group for them although they are not asking the questions.  Perhaps they should.   At any rate, I like the idea of a sticky where we can list suggestions for Regent’s perusal. 

Sorry that it comes across that way.  Perhaps I'm just in suggestion/complaint overload.  I'm not against having classical music on Regent but it sounds like some posters are putting the cart before the horse (think I got that old saying wrong but you know what I mean).  Shouldn't a trial of having classical music be tried before jumping in and hiring people?  

On the bright side, Regent only needs to satisfy a max of 750 people at a time.  It’s still a daunting task. 

I don't love the coffee but I apparently dislike it a lot less than many others. Ditto with the bubbly - I rarely drink it normally so upping the quality isn’t a huge priority for me.  As long as the food, drinks, service, and overall atmosphere don’t change much, I’m still good. 

The new new suite design, although pretty, is kinda dumb. They missed on that one. 

I suppose if if we want everything  just exactly the way we like it, we should just buy our own yachts. But seeing as I don’t have $40,000,000 or so burning a hole in my pocket (plus expenses), I’ll stuck with what Regent offers. 

I agree with you Bill, and think that the suite furnishings and configuration are of a completely different order than the endless complaints about things like coffee, wine, champagne, salt in the food, etc.

As I said, I think that at the appropriate time, a thread about storage space in the regular suites would be in order.  In the meantime, pax should make sure to make specific complaints about the suites when the complete the comment cards during the cruise.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sorry that it comes across that way.  Perhaps I'm just in suggestion/complaint overload.  I'm not against having classical music on Regent but it sounds like some posters are putting the cart before the horse (think I got that old saying wrong but you know what I mean).  Shouldn't a trial of having classical music be tried before jumping in and hiring people?  

Speaking of complaining, it seems to me we are back to needing a list of what it is okay to complain about and what it is not okay to complain about.  

Is it not okay for people to advocate for some classical music onboard?   But apparently it is okay to complain about people wanting classical music?  Or am I missing something here?

Also, did I miss a post that said Regent had to "jump" in and hire people before a trial of having classical music?

Edited by CruisetheCs
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2018 at 12:51 PM, forgap said:

We always bring a loaded iPod and travel speakers because we can’t count on listening to the music we like.   Champagne and Satie - what could be better?  

Same here -- I usually have a substantial classical library that I can play via my iPhone and/or iPad, and I usually try to bring a decent Bluetooth speaker to get decent sound.  Still, I would like more of a choice among the in-cabin "radio" choices.  They have a LOT of channels and more of them seem to be of the "light-pop" or "zen" variety (I think there are also at least 2 "country music" stations).  Substituting a decent classical music stream couldn't be that big of a burden.  (As an aside, the television on my last Holland America cruise was equipped with Bluetooth, and I was able to play my iPhone music library through the Bose sound system in my cabin.  Having that option would be great, too.)

20 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

My comment above comes from reading CC every day.  Posters have a long list of what they would like to change (and everyone's desires are not the same).  The ones that come to mind that have been commented on recently are:

1.  Play music from this century

2.  Play more classical music

3.  Put back the storage in the suites.

4.  Negative comment about the design of the pool area on Explorer (which I would wager will never be changed as it is fine now)

5.  Change the lighting in CR

6.  Coffee complaints (not solvable IMO) 

7.  Complaints about Destination Services (many times from me - one of the few things that I ever complain about as I think Regent does an excellent job and if I did not think so, I would change cruise lines).

8.  Champagne

why is good internet not on the list

We enjoy classical music and have been generally disappointed at the comparative lack of it on Regent, particularly compared with Seabourn and Silverseas. We have also complained more than once that classical music is not included in the list of music that can be heard in one’s suite. Maybe, if they read this thread, the powers that be at Regent will grasp the nettle and we will all be pleasantly surprised on our future cruises.

Edited by eliana

17 hours ago, eliana said:

We enjoy classical music and have been generally disappointed at the comparative lack of it on Regent, particularly compared with Seabourn and Silverseas. We have also complained more than once that classical music is not included in the list of music that can be heard in one’s suite. Maybe, if they read this thread, the powers that be at Regent will grasp the nettle and we will all be pleasantly surprised on our future cruises.

I hope so.  I have 199 days booked on RSSC in 2020 starting with the 131-day world cruise -- they have a year to get it together.  🙂  (Half kidding -- I can always bring a decent library of classical music on my iPhone or iPad ... but it would be REALLY nice to have it available in my cabin)

Lana in Bellingham, WA

I have read through most of this thread. I do like classical music. We listen to a lot on vinyl at home. We are not expecting a lot of classical music around Explorer. My question to those that commented about the live  pianist in the observation lounge. Has anyone asked for a quieter play in there? The only reason I ask is we do like this area of a ship to relax and chat. 

Also, is there a quieter place inside and/or outside to sit and relax with a book? We will be on Explorer next week.

Today’s programme on Explorer includes two Chopin piano recitals by Panos Karan.

At 6pm his recital will include etudes 1-12 and his second performance at 9:30pm will include etudes 13-24. Both recitals are in the theatre.

Also on this cruise we have had two performances by the violinist Bernadett Nyari and one by the flautist Jonathan Johnston

Both the latter leaning more towards popular and popular-classical rather than pure classical music.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Today’s programme on Explorer includes two Chopin piano recitals by Panos Karan.

At 6pm his recital will include etudes 1-12 and his second performance at 9:30pm will include etudes 13-24. Both recitals are in the theatre.

Also on this cruise we have had two performances by the violinist Bernadett Nyari and one by the flautist Jonathan Johnston

Both the latter leaning more towards popular and popular-classical rather than pure classical music.

That's great news. Let us hope they, or  replacements will continue on Explorer for its next cruises. 

Edited by eliana

We are on the Explorer Cape Town to Cape Town cruise embarking on Dec 22. One of our family members, accompanying us on our cruise, is an internationally known classical pianist. She was with us two years ago on the Explorer during the holiday Panama Canal cruise and played several impromptu performances (actually practice sessions which attracted an audience) with permission from John Barron who was the CD at the time. Perhaps the current Explorer CD will allow her to do so on the upcoming cruise. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Eno-Bob said:

Focused1 - We'll be on that cruise with you and would certainly support that idea.   There my be an opportunity at the Meet & Mingle to make a pitch to Margaret. 

32 minutes ago, Eno-Bob said:

Focused1 - We'll be on that cruise with you and would certainly support that idea.   There my be an opportunity at the Meet & Mingle to make a pitch to Margaret. 

Great idea. 

On 12/13/2018 at 3:13 PM, forgap said:

I like this idea too, and agree with you that we shouldn't be second-guessing what things cost.

As for performers, I for one would be happy if they were to forego the attempts at "broadway"-style casts completely.  That would save some cabins.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I like this idea too, and agree with you that we shouldn't be second-guessing what things cost.

As for performers, I for one would be happy if they were to forego the attempts at "broadway"-style casts completely.  That would save some cabins.

Do you mean save cabins for classical entertainers?  That would be putting the cart before the horse..... no one yet knows how even one classical lounge would go over with Regent guests.  All we know is that there is classical music being played on Regent ships already and that several (haven't counted the number of posters on this thread) passengers would like more classical music and some of them simply want a station in their suites to listen to.   

Perhaps a crew member on the ships can check out how full the theater/lounge is when classical music is played compared to when other types of music is played.  That would be a good first step.   

Edited by Travelcat2

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Do you mean save cabins for classical entertainers?  That would be putting the cart before the horse..... no one yet knows how even one classical lounge would go over with Regent guests.  All we know is that there is classical music being played on Regent ships already and that several (haven't counted the number of posters on this thread) passengers would like more classical music and some of them simply want a station in their suites to listen to.   

Perhaps a crew member on the ships can check out how full the theater/lounge is when classical music is played compared to when other types of music is played.  That would be a good first step.   

I agree with TC. We like some classical music, as well. We enjoy them in an intimate setting, like a lounge. 

However, we do not want to eliminate the Production Shows. We look forward to them rather than some of the single acts. The singers and dancers are usually very entertaining. 

On our last cruise, there was a classical guitarist in the theatre and it was practically empty. 

The production shows are usually very well attended. 

To each his own taste. Let’s not try to fix something that is not broken. 

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

On 12/16/2018 at 11:43 AM, flossie009 said:

Tonight there is a performance by classical guitarist, Dimitris Dekavallas.

There has been a very good variety of entertainment on this cruise and we would not want to see any major changes to the mix.

As well as a good mixture of visiting entertainers, the following resident performers are also on board:

• Regent band/orchestra - 5piece
  • Production Cast - singers & dancers (including ballroom dancers giving lessons on sea days)
  • P&K Duo (popular music in the lounges)
  • Pianist Ross (mainly in the Observation Lounge)

In addition there have been performances by our CD and Assistant CD, who are both accomplished singers.

All performances in the theatre and other events have been well attended - whether for classical or other entertainment.

Based on this cruise, there is no need for a change to the entertainment offered by Regent.