Transfers from Edge

PatC

I am hoping someone on the ship would be so kind as to see if they could get information about transferring from Edge to Silhouette (berth 29) for those who cannot walk that distance.  Many of us know that a taxi would not take you, walking with luggage and wheelchairs or walking issues are in a bind trying to get any actual information from Celebrity on this issue.  Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give us.

Pat

9 minutes ago, PatC said:

I am hoping someone on the ship would be so kind as to see if they could get information about transferring from Edge to Silhouette (berth 29) for those who cannot walk that distance.  Many of us know that a taxi would not take you, walking with luggage and wheelchairs or walking issues are in a bind trying to get any actual information from Celebrity on this issue.  Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give us.

Pat

I would contact the special needs department at the company and explain your situation. 1-866-592-7225 or special_needs@rccl.com.

There should be shuttle buses going between terminals.  I saw the stop when we exited the Edge a week and a half ago.  If that doesn’t work out offer a cabbie $20 and he/she will happily take you, something we have done and well worth the money.

Funny you should ask. Weeks before I was to make the opposite transfer, from silhouette to edge, I asked my travel agent to investigate. The answer came back, no there is no way to transfer other than a taxi. Then when I got on silhouette the  michael’s club concierge said oh yes, we can make that happen for you. You will get a special luggage tag, and there will be a transfer available for you.   The tag number was 42, the last to be called.  That was about 9:30. About ten, a great big bus pulled up.  On the transfer bus there were a total of five of us. One other couple had also been told ahead of time, no there is no transfer. But then when they got on the ship yes they could make it happen. The other couple had been told ahead of time, just take a taxi and send us the bill. Or we will give you $50 onboard credit on the silhouette. They took the onboard credit. And then during the cruise sometime, found out that there would be a shuttle after all. At no charge. So those people were $50 to the good, while the other three got nothing.  So......go figure.

As so often happens with Celebrity, if you don’t like the answer you get the first time, just try asking someone else. 

I was all prepared to take a taxi if the transfer suddenly disappeared. I figured I would have to pay the tax driver a premium to get him to go just between the two ships,  But that didn’t happen, there really was a transfer. So keep asking.

2 hours ago, Oville said:

There should be shuttle buses going between terminals.  I saw the stop when we exited the Edge a week and a half ago.  If that doesn’t work out offer a cabbie $20 and he/she will happily take you, something we have done and well worth the money.

What about a shuttle  from the EDG  terminal back to the parking garage.?  

.not too far a distance,  I realize but in the heat..dragging along luggage can be taxing!

2 hours ago, kearney said:

I would contact the special needs department at the company and explain your situation. 1-866-592-7225 or special_needs@rccl.com.

Got the same answer.  Didn't make sense.  Go to guest relations the NIGHT BEFORE and they will tell you where to go.  What about the luggage?  Got no answer to that one.  So, I will do what our e-mail originally told us - to go to guest relations when we board and they will help us.  If not, I will try our Captain's Club Hostess or Concierge because someone has to have it right.  This is just nuts.  I think our cruising days might be coming to an end since it seems we don't matter any more.  Older folks are the past, handicapped people need to be aware of how to manage all by themselves.  Yes they are great helping you on the ship and off, but that's only if they have enough "pushers" in that area.  Sadly, after Silhouette I think we may be done after over 20 years.  But we will enjoy meeting everyone on both cruises and enjoy seeing what the next generation is creating!

1 hour ago, hcat said:

What about a shuttle  from the EDG  terminal back to the parking garage.?  

.not too far a distance,  I realize but in the heat..dragging along luggage can be taxing!

The garage is not that far but maybe one of you should get the car and the other wait with the luggage.  You’ll get a better sense about distance when you walk from the car to the terminal after you drop off luggage.  We had no problems.

Katie

5 minutes ago, Oville said:

The garage is not that far but maybe one of you should get the car and the other wait with the luggage.  You’ll get a better sense about distance when you walk from the car to the terminal after you drop off luggage.  We had no problems.

Katie

Hi Katie,

It's not the garage.  We are taking a shuttle to the port or a cab.  It's getting us and our luggage to Silhouette, berthed at terminal 29.  That's a long distance to lug luggage when only 1 of you can do it.  The other is okay with the electric chair but I am 72 and he is 76 and our friends are all around the same age.  One of our friends will be in a back brace.  I believe another person cannot walk that distance because of health issues also.  So, here we are.:classic_sad:

12 minutes ago, PatC said:

Hi Katie,

It's not the garage.  We are taking a shuttle to the port or a cab.  It's getting us and our luggage to Silhouette, berthed at terminal 29.  That's a long distance to lug luggage when only 1 of you can do it.  The other is okay with the electric chair but I am 72 and he is 76 and our friends are all around the same age.  One of our friends will be in a back brace.  I believe another person cannot walk that distance because of health issues also.  So, here we are.:classic_sad:

Why not contact Captains club and ask them who to contact on ship. If you are going on Dec 9 or 16 the CEO will be on board... I would take the issue to her.... if you are not on that sailing... I would go as high up as I could and layout this issue... if special needs is not providing assistance let the top folks know. I appreciate your issue... I always have to plan ahead for DH and it is disconcerting to be going on a ship and having no idea on how to get from point a to point b when you get back. I hope things work out.

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Katie

Guess we may have to do that if we cannot get a close by space in the parking garage..We pack well  and are fairly fit , but dh has recent knee issues so we,ll play it by ear.

Someone said it was a long walk from the ship to the  customs area and then back again to the garage.. Hoping for a nice cool dry morning.

But I think you have a good idea..thanks

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Why not contact Captains club and ask them who to contact on ship. If you are going on Dec 9 or 16 the CEO will be on board... I would take the issue to her.... if you are not on that sailing... I would go as high up as I could and layout this issue... if special needs is not providing assistance let the top folks know. I appreciate your issue... I always have to plan ahead for DH and it is disconcerting to be going on a ship and having no idea on how to get from point a to point b when you get back. I hope things work out.

That was my next move.  Usually get the right answer from them and we'll see.  This is such a worry when all you want to do is anticipate a b2b but on different ships.  Just thinking about that port on the busy day makes me ill!!!!!  And my knees might be able to carry me a distance but not that far and with luggage.  I will let everyone know what I find out since others may be in the same "boat":classic_cool:  I do not think taxis will be willing, no matter what, to give us a longer ride.

Okay, after so many folks getting so many different answers I finally got a call from Celebrity saying they "do not provide shuttles between ships".  Now, when I confronted her with the e-mail I received regarding a free, one time transfer she went blank.  So folks, here we are, back to square one.  We will take the e-mail with us, go to the reservations desk and see what happens.  So many folks will face this situation with a handicapped situation and it's sad.  We will see what happens when we board.  We do have a back-up plan.  I do know I mentioned that this is unacceptable, especially when we know that people from Silhouette to Edge on the same date DO have a provided shuttle.  Same situation with Celebrity, the arm doesn't know what the leg is doing or saying (cleaned that up a bit).  I am so annoyed after talking to her I wasn't even pleasant when she offered to provide me with the reservations desk.  Told her don't bother, they gave me yet another different story.  Just hung up frustrated.

So, we will make it work.  As usual, left on our own!!!!

Pat C