Mardi Gras

cntrydncr1

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I believe Carnival (or the press releases) said bookings won't be available immediately (not until late-Jan 2019), but the itineraries and ship details would be released around "now" (mid-Jan).

So I don't expect to see anything in the booking engine, but a press release with itineraries and a web-page with the deck plans are what I'm drooling like Pavlov's dog for...

The TA site where the booking engine resides, usually has the announcements when they hit the wire.  Tha said, I hear your point.

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Indeed, I am very interested in the cabin layouts, and I don't think they will necessarily match the Iona's.

Question for you about your comment on aft balconies:

The aft balconies on Liberty and Sunshine don't look directly down to the water, which gives them a bit more sunlight (which I like).  There is a "slope" down, with a bit of a railing for crew access/cleaning, I guess.  But not like the Horizon, which overlooks the Havana area.

The aft balconies on Elation and similar have a more direct line of sight straight down, but therefore have a bit of an overhang above.

Which do you prefer?

I've never stayed in an aft, so this would be my first time if i decide to book it and if it's availalbe, so i can't really speak to that.  i guess what i'm talking about is on the horizon.  there is this walkway, kind of crew area just off of the aft balcony, so you don't really have a direct line of sight down to the water.   i'm going to try to attach a pic...The white area is past the railing on the balcony, so you can't look down from your balcony railing and see water. you have to look out to see water.   it might be a minor thing, but i'm used to having balconies that have an unobstructed view straight down to water, even though i've never had an aft, so i don't even really know if that is a thing that is available back there. 

aft family harbor.jpeg

eta..this is a pic, i believe while the ship was still being set up, so the balconies extend farther than this, but there is still a strip of white probably 2-3 feet wide at least, maybe more.  so, no direct line of sight. if that makes sense. and these are specifically the aft balconies of the family harbor, which i am hoping to look at. 

Edited by pyropoodle

i can tell from the pic of the new ship that the balconies don't extend all the way to the back, that there is some sort of deck there, but the higher up you are in the ship, the ( i don't know how to explain this in words) better the angle is in viewing the water below.  

....and i hope that the areas of the ship on the side (if i book a port or starboard room) the areas that sort of stand out away from the ship as opposed to the balconies that are more tucked into the ship, i hope they aren't all suites.   i have 2 cruises booked and they are both suites and my hubby will kill me if i book another suite so soon, and if i'm dead, i cannot cruise.  this is a fact

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Just heard the word the announcement will be tomorrow

Indeed, JH posted this morning that tomorrow would have "FUN Mardi Gras News", with a "first look".

My expectations are not as high now - wondering whether deck plans will actually be available, or just lots of promo pictures of artist renditions...

12 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

I've never stayed in an aft, so this would be my first time if i decide to book it and if it's availalbe, so i can't really speak to that.  i guess what i'm talking about is on the horizon.  there is this walkway, kind of crew area just off of the aft balcony, so you don't really have a direct line of sight down to the water.   i'm going to try to attach a pic...The white area is past the railing on the balcony, so you can't look down from your balcony railing and see water. you have to look out to see water.   it might be a minor thing, but i'm used to having balconies that have an unobstructed view straight down to water, even though i've never had an aft, so i don't even really know if that is a thing that is available back there. 

aft family harbor.jpeg

eta..this is a pic, i believe while the ship was still being set up, so the balconies extend farther than this, but there is still a strip of white probably 2-3 feet wide at least, maybe more.  so, no direct line of sight. if that makes sense. and these are specifically the aft balconies of the family harbor, which i am hoping to look at. 

Yeah, the Horizon doesn't have ideal aft balconies, IMHO.

This is the view looking to the aft-starboard flank (i.e. left of straight back) from our 7th deck aft balcony on Liberty, which is on the starboard corner:

KLSHZSG.jpg

There are three decks below that you can see along the slope down the stern of the ship (deck 6 is cabins, deck 5 is the aft lounge, deck 4 is the top floor of the aft dining room), with that crew access gangway at the very edge, where the stern then slopes inward for the lower floor of the aft MDR.

This shot is looking straight back:

WlDZi2d.jpg

And here is a shot looking directly port, which demonstrates the slope very nicely:

3fae960.jpg

And here is a shot of the stern!  You can barely make out a person in the middle row of the aft balconies, right of center (above the R in LIBERTY) - that would be the cabin next to ours.  Our cabin was the one to the right.

3wPuh1D.jpg

Sunshine was very similar (we had essentially the same cabin on that ship too).

Anyway, the Mardi Gras is going to look nothing like that.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Indeed, JH posted this morning that tomorrow would have "FUN Mardi Gras News", with a "first look".

My expectations are not as high now - wondering whether deck plans will actually be available, or just lots of promo pictures of artist renditions...

doubt it will be floor plans, but who knows.  Probably some unique features and renderings

5 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

I have been refreshing my email for my "exclusive offer" and stalking the carnival website ALL DAY waiting for this. I bet the announcement happens when I'm commuting home (1 1/2 hours).  that would be my luck

I keep refreshing his FB page...I have an acct. but never use it, so it’s nice that I can see his stuff without logging on.

7 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I keep refreshing his FB page...I have an acct. but never use it, so it’s nice that I can see his stuff without logging on.

yes, he hasn't even mentioned anything mardi gras related today that I've seen.  FRUSTRATINGGGGG

16 minutes ago, trvlgirlmq said:

This is JH and Carnival's MO.  Announce that there will be an announcement, prevaricate, postpone, apologize then eventually weeks later finally say something.

You are so right. I wish they ( and JH) would just zip it until they have something in front of them.

20 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am surprised people actually thought JH would really have an announcement today.    

I was optimistic (and wrong, apparently) in thinking that the rumored announcement for last week, to which JH did indeed say something like  "sorry, got it wrong", was the only delay, and something would indeed be announced this week.

Oh well.  I doubt Carnival will make an announcement on a Friday - usually these are Tuesday/Wednesday-type news bits.