'Twas the Cruise During Christmas - Zuiderdam 2018

POA1

10 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Dinner looks great.

What wine did you pair with the schnitzel?

Riesling. I would have done Grüner Veltliner, but there is none by the glass. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

I ordered Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne for both of us and a different PG Chardonnay, Seven Falls, to go with my appetizer. 

The Champagne never showed up, so we had to reorder it.

I hope you finally got it and enjoyed it.   Haven't had any Nicolas Feuillatte in some time, but I recall enjoying it when I did.

Very much enjoying your review and photos (love the beach in Bonaire!); thanks again for taking the time to take us along.

Time to ask another favor. This one is probably in the @Copper10-8wheelhouse. Is this Dutch navy or coast guard? Or is is it a yacht owner who really values connectivity? (I'm guessing patrol looking for Venezuelans. There are two. One's further out, but looks to have the same profile.) 

SAM_3086.JPG370114388_PerfectlyClear0001.jpg.a3711963435b1576770dfb270049b87a.jpg

7 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Time to ask another favor. This one is probably in the @Copper10-8wheelhouse. Is this Dutch navy or coast guard? Or is is it a yacht owner who really values connectivity? (I'm guessing patrol looking for Venezuelans. There are two. One's further out, but looks to have the same profile.) 

SAM_3086.JPG370114388_PerfectlyClear0001.jpg.a3711963435b1576770dfb270049b87a.jpg

That's the Koninklijke Marine/Royal Netherlands Navy current Caribbean station ship, Zr Ms Friesland. P-842, a Holland-class off shore patrol vessel. Her home base when deployed to the Dutch Caribbean is at Naval Base Parera, Willemstad, Curacao

2390202.jpg

Image result for Naval Base Parera

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

That's the Koninklijke Marine/Royal Netherlands Navy current Caribbean station ship, Zr Ms Friesland. P-842, a Holland-class off shore patrol vessel. Her home base when deployed to the Dutch Caribbean is at Naval Base Parera, Willemstad, Curacao

2390202.jpg

Image result for Naval Base Parera

There is a second ship further out. Its beyond the reach of my camera though. 

23 minutes ago, POA1 said:

The Kustwacht Caribisch Gebied/ Dutch Caribbean Coastguard has three of these bad boys based in Aruba. This is P810 Jaguar

Netherlands - Kustwacht Caribisch Gebied - Dutch Caribbean Coastguard (DCCG) P810 Zr Ms Jaguar.JPG

. Wattaburger is no more. Our cabbie on the way back from the resort said that they tore it down and were building it it bigger. There are block walls but no doors or windows. I'll be honest. Michelle was not all broken up about it. 

Looks like a great cruise!

Thanks for posting the pic of the "everyday" chicken.  I've ordered the salmon many times, and always wondered about the chicken preparation.  It actually looks quite good for those days when something simpler is needed.  That can happen on a long cruise.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, POA1 said:

. Wattaburger is no more. Our cabbie on the way back from the resort said that they tore it down and were building it it bigger. There are block walls but no doors or windows. I'll be honest. Michelle was not all broken up about it. 

But I am! The Deck officers were used to having the junior cadet make a "Food run" and come back with Dutch fast food. If you'tre still looking for something, right "behind" your ship is Karel's Beach Bar on a dock which has nice seating on the water, a bar and food offerings

25 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Looks like a great cruise!

Thanks for posting the pic of the "everyday" chicken.  I've ordered the salmon many times, and always wondered about the chicken preparation.  It actually looks quite good for those days when something simpler is needed.  That can happen on a long cruise.  

That's not the everyday chicken. It's the Chef Rudi chicken. I think the everyday chicken is just a breast. If my brother in law were here, he'd be have ordered it by now. 

26 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

But I am! The Deck officers were used to having the junior cadet make a "Food run" and come back with Dutch fast food. If you'tre still looking for something, right "behind" your ship is Karel's Beach Bar on a dock which has nice seating on the water, a bar and food offerings

We're back on the ship and just ate. Does Iguana Too have anything Dutch? We're in Curaçao tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We're back on the ship and just ate. Does Iguana Too have anything Dutch? We're in Curaçao tomorrow. 

Iguana Too has a nice Sate with peanut sauce and frietjes. Broodje Kroket is also good. The menus have an English translation

• Like 1

8 hours ago, POA1 said:

I'm playing around with the Navigator app-not-an-app and I've noticed that it does not have the dining hours listed. Also, it has the MDR dinner menu, but no Lido or other MDR meal menus. Hmm... 

Navigator only had the MDR menu on our cruise too.  To see the menu for the Lido/ Canaletto, you had to go there.  and since they are under glass, they don't photograph well (Or I am not good at photographing under glass objects 😉 ) 

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Iguana Too has a nice Sate with peanut sauce and frietjes. Broodje Kroket is also good. The menus have an English translation

Thank you. Our cab driver was a Dutch guy and he wanted to know how we knew about Wattaburger. He said that it was one of his favorite places and can't wait for it to reopen. He offered to take us to another place, but someone - not naming names - wanted to come back. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Navigator only had the MDR menu on our cruise too.  To see the menu for the Lido/ Canaletto, you had to go there.  and since they are under glass, they don't photograph well (Or I am not good at photographing under glass objects 😉 ) 

No. Even without a flash, there's glare. Our cabana guys have them, so I may go that route. 

Another observation: Other than Chef Rudi's Weinerschnitzel and roast chicken, there have been zero Culinary Council dishes on the dinner menu. Today is Day 6 of 10 and still nothing. 

Just now, kazu said:

Excellent idea.  Our ship was too old for cabanas 😉 😄 

I'm working on a "thing" with a "guy" and hope to get most everything. (Sounds very "New Jersey," doesn't it?) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Another observation: Other than Chef Rudi's Weinerschnitzel and roast chicken, there have been zero Culinary Council dishes on the dinner menu. Today is Day 6 of 10 and still nothing. 

Consider yourselves fortunate!   I always have trouble finding anything that I think I'd like on those menus...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, POA1 said:

A few last photos of the Van der Welk Plaza Resort Bonaire and a link to day pass info:

https://www.plazaresortbonaire.com/en/visitors/day-pass

How long was the cab ride from the Kralendijk pier and how much? One-way, tanks

14 minutes ago, POA1 said:

On 12/19/2018 at 3:35 PM, POA1 said:

in-room-dinner-02-2003.jpg

Note the strict dress code for in-room dining, circa 2003.

With the right accessories (tinted Ray-bans, match stick between your lips, and a bandolier), you might've pulled off a stone-cold Stallone impression.  Might've.