'Twas the Cruise During Christmas - Zuiderdam 2018

POA1

15 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Begging a favor. What's the room to room dialing code? I don't see a little instruction card. 

OMG, my memory is short.

I think it was either just the room # or 0 + room number depending on the ship.

Nothing on the phone to dial?  There used to be a couple basics right on the phone.

There should be a book in your cabin - the one that holds the in room dining, etc info.  I think it also has instructions on the phone, but I'm basing that on my last cruise and it wasn't a Vista ship.

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

The HAL brochure talks about robes, an Evian mister, and a battery operated fan. None of them are here. On the plus side, only nine of the sixteen cabanas are rented for the whole cruise. Only 4 other cabanas have people in them today. There are two cabana attendants, resulting in service beyond compare.

Love the Evian misters. We usually have to ask cabana attendants for them. Had them earlier this month on Oosterdam. There’re especially refreshing if you pop them in your ice bucket. 

We had the mini fan sans batteries but didn’t bother asking for any...

I don't want to hear anymore complaints on CC about how the MDR food has downgraded. From the fantastic pictures you have posted, so far, the complete dinners in the MDR look fantastic. I haven't seen anything I wouldn't just love to try.  Since the liver picture wasn't posted I can say that, because liver one is thing I refuse to eat. The Yankee Pot roast and the Prime rib looked really delicious and I really love crab cakes. I have gained ten pounds just looking at your great food pics, LOL

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kazu said:

OMG, my memory is short.

I think it was either just the room # or 0 + room number depending on the ship.

Nothing on the phone to dial?  There used to be a couple basics right on the phone.

There should be a book in your cabin - the one that holds the in room dining, etc info.  I think it also has instructions on the phone, but I'm basing that on my last cruise and it wasn't a Vista ship.

54 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I think it 1 + room number.  DW thinks its 9 + room number (or 0 + room number).

I suppose you can't ask your FIL as that is who you want to call?? :classic_wacko:

I was going to call the front desk, but posted out of sheer laziness. We looked through the ship literature and we did not come across it. 

36 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura S says the app is back on Tapatalk. 

I'm still getting the error about the forum being gone, but I'll keep checking. That would be a nice early Christmas present. BTW - Did the double tap on the search magnifying glass (white nav bar) to get back to top go away? It hasn't been working for me on my phone. 

41 minutes ago, cookingmom said:

We had robes last April on the Eurodam and actually used them when it got chilly!

It's not going to be chilly here. I just thought they'd be a nice change from wearing our stateroom robes to the Lido for breakfast. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I'm still getting the error about the forum being gone, but I'll keep checking. That would be a nice early Christmas present. BTW - Did the double tap on the search magnifying glass (white nav bar) to get back to top go away? It hasn't been working for me on my phone. 

I'm not able to get into TT either.

The double click does nothing on my phone

Carry on

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, KrissyCruises said:

Love the Evian misters. We usually have to ask cabana attendants for them. Had them earlier this month on Oosterdam. There’re especially refreshing if you pop them in your ice bucket. 

We had the mini fan sans batteries but didn’t bother asking for any...

DW still has two misters from previous cruises, along with fans. I just wanted to complain. What if the Bubble of Awesome sprung a leak?? 

17 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I don't want to hear anymore complaints on CC about how the MDR food has downgraded

Everything we've ordered has been good. Michelle wasn't wild about her cream horn dessert, but that was more of a preference thing. Our room service breakfast was a miss this morning. My milk was room temperature and DW's scrambled eggs were seriously off. 

We're both having the weinerschnitzel tonight. I made the mistake of ordering a David Burke trout dish last time. I left standing orders to be slapped if I failed to order the schnitzel in the future. 

18 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Everything we've ordered has been good. Michelle wasn't wild about her cream horn dessert, but that was more of a preference thing. Our room service breakfast was a miss this morning. My milk was room temperature and DW's scrambled eggs were seriously off. 

We're both having the weinerschnitzel tonight. I made the mistake of ordering a David Burke trout dish last time. I left standing orders to be slapped if I failed to order the schnitzel in the future. 

18 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I love a good schnitzel too, trout is not one of my favorite fish dishes unless caught wild by me the same day.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I was going to call the front desk, but posted out of sheer laziness. We looked through the ship literature and we did not come across it. 

Dial zero then room number.  Only reason I remember is on the Eurodam I couldn’t find the info either and ended up dialing the Captain!  I went, oops-he was so kind -guess it happens a lot.  You’d think they’d put it right on the phone! 

I did end up finding it it the book but it was well buried.  

34 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Can't go wrong with a good schnitzel from Wien :classic_smile:

wayback-red.jpg

In Room Dining - 2003 vs 2018

In Room Dining: 2003

We had dinner served in the room when we cruised for my 40th birthday.  We were in the Penthouse Suite (as it was called at the time. It's now the Pinnacle Suite.)  Dinner was served course by course, on fine china.

in-room-dinner-01-2003.jpg

in-room-dinner-02-2003.jpg

Note the strict dress code for in-room dining, circa 2003.

In Room Dining: 2018:

We had breakfast delivered to our veradah stateroom. It came all at once, a genuine melamine tray.

room-service-2018.jpg.9bf29b9a854639d86c47143c956c43a4.jpg

The dress code was more relaxed. Not even sure if pants were required. I had on gym shorts. They were clean though, if that counts for anything.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Dial zero then room numbe

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Zero plus the room #

Can't believe they're making you work during your vac (jk) 

I tried 9 and 8 and then used my lifeline to get a correct answer.

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Tapatalk has not been working for me at all.  Even today.  I deleted the app.  I don't need memory taking up room for something that doesn't work.

I'll try in a couple of days and if it works it will be my Christmas present as well 😉  

I an still tap at the top of my ipad and get to the top, but that's not the same as a phone although, CC seems to treat them both as "mobile devices".