Bringing medication through Santiago airport for cruise

HomelessBear

Going on the South America cruise on Star next week and really looking forward to it. Flying into Santiago airport from UK and was getting packed today when it struck me that I need to take my prescribed co- codamol tablets with me (along with blood pressure, migraine, anti emetics and epi pens) and they may not be allowed. I’m also prescribed Tramadol for night time, but have read lots of negative stuff about these being brought in, and I can manage without these until I get home. 

I’ve been searching for hours trying to find whether I’ll be ok bringing these into Chile via customs and to the cruise. 

I’ve left it far too late now (kicking myself big time) to get a letter from my GP, but will try to get copies of prescriptions tom. 

Has anyone experience of taking these types of medications through the Santiago customs? 

My DH takes COD liver oil capsules, echanacia and St John’s Wort, and we wondered if they will be allowed or not?

Alollogies for asking this as it’s not technically a “cruise” question, but I’m now getting stressed just before our cruise. You don’t need to tell me that I should have sorted this out sooner, as I know I’m an idiot for not, but there’s been so much bad stuff happening to us recently that I’ve been distracted and just ever gave it a thought Thank you. 

I have taken medications and supplements (fish oil, vitamin D, glucosimine) through Santiago airport on several occasions, but they are not precisely the ones you mention. We have medications for high blood pressure, asthma, pain (Panadein forte). I carry our medications in our hand luggage to avoid the problems that would occur in our checked bags went astray. On arrival we weren't asked if we had medications and we didn't declare them. No problems. If you want to be careful, I suggest taking the medications in their original packaging and also take your copies of the prescriptions.

Edited by Aus Traveller

We travelled from UK via Amsterdam to Santiago to pick up Princess cruise out of San Antonio, then home from Buenos Aires, in January 2018.

The medicines we travelled with were different from those you mentioned. We took copies of prescription with us.

We were not asked anything about the tablets or to show copies of prescriptions..but I take copies wherever we travel...just in case.

Obviously not the definitive answer..just  our experience...... I would anticipate you being fine with copies of your prescription.

I checked the Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice pages for Chile, and there is nothing about prohibited medicines.  For countries with restrictions on medications, like the UEA or Japan, those restrictions are listed in the FCO advice.  But please don’t just take my word for it, do your own checking there and on the Chilean Embassy website.  

I would also advise just taking what you need, plus a few days extras in case of delays returning home.  Too much extra of things like Tramadol could look as though you were importing it to sell or something.  And take the original packaging if you can.

On my only flight to Chile, no one showed any interest at all in any medication I might be carrying, but I don’t know if that’s always the case.

Enjoy your cruise!

15 hours ago, HomelessBear said:

Thank you for your reply Aus Traveller. Much appreciated. 

May I ask if you declared the fish oil supplements on the “landing card” as a food item? 

Thank you. 

No. It would not have occurred to me to do so. I will mention that we are Australian and cruise several times a year, always carrying fish oil and other supplements. Australia is very strict on bringing food items in - everything has to be declared although some processed items (not meat products) are allowed. Our luggage was searched once on arriving home and the quarantine inspector found the unused fish oil capsules. He asked what they were and when told, made no further comment.

All the best. 😊

Thanks so much to Reina and Lisiamc for your replies. Really appreciate you taking the time to do this. 

It seems I’m getting myself in a tizz unnecessarily (hope so). Decided I won’t take the tramadol but will need the co codamol to keep on top of the pain. I’ve got a list of my medications from the GP surgery and the prescription part for reordering. I couldn’t get copies of the prescriptions themselves, so these will have to do. 

Thanks again for your help and I hope my stress levels go down enough for me to start looking forward to the flight and cruise. 

Happy Christmas to you all too. 

22 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have taken medications and supplements (fish oil, vitamin D, glucosimine) through Santiago airport on several occasions, but they are not precisely the ones you mention. We have medications for high blood pressure, asthma, pain (Panadein forte). I carry our medications in our hand luggage to avoid the problems that would occur in our checked bags went astray. On arrival we weren't asked if we had medications and we didn't declare them. No problems. If you want to be careful, I suggest taking the medications in their original packaging and also take your copies of the prescriptions.

Very good advice.  Bring your Rx in pharmacy  packaging and you should be okay.  Don' t transfer  them into  daily pill o rganizer (if you use one) until you are on the ship.

3 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Very good advice.  Bring your Rx in pharmacy  packaging and you should be okay.  Don' t transfer  them into  daily pill o rganizer (if you use one) until you are on the ship.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. You’ve made me feel calmer about the situation now. 

We’re off today for the flight and start the cruise the day after we arrive. I’m now really looking forward to it and seeing new places. 

Have a very Happy Christmas everyone. 

Are your Australian pills in blister packs? All pills in the EU have to be in those, and usually have the name/description on the foil surface, so if anyone checks, they can read what's inside.

Have a wonderful cruise! 🙂