Luggage Direct in FLL

detroit70

I have used Luggage Direct from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale to my home airport several times with no problems at all.  However, when I searched Cruise Critic tonight on this topic, I found several posts with significant concerns as recently as November.  When I flew out of Tampa two years ago, I was not able to check my luggage more than two hours before my United flight so I had to wander the airport for a few hours with luggage in tow, a significant hassle, and the reason I'm wanting to use the service again!  Do any of you have recent experience with luggage direct at Fort Lauderdale?  I'll be leaving the K'dam on Friday, December 28th and have a United flight scheduled to depart about 4:30.

13 minutes ago, detroit70 said:

I have used Luggage Direct from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale to my home airport several times with no problems at all.  However, when I searched Cruise Critic tonight on this topic, I found several posts with significant concerns as recently as November.  When I flew out of Tampa two years ago, I was not able to check my luggage more than two hours before my United flight so I had to wander the airport for a few hours with luggage in tow, a significant hassle, and the reason I'm wanting to use the service again!  Do any of you have recent experience with luggage direct at Fort Lauderdale?  I'll be leaving the K'dam on Friday, December 28th and have a United flight scheduled to depart about 4:30.

Most recent experience was last February (2018), used Luggage Direct (as we do on virtually every HAL cruise) and had no problems whatsoever with our 4 pm (ish) flight out of FLL.  Good luck and have a safe cruise.

We were on the Koningsdam in Oct. 2018 and arrived Fort Lauderdale Nov. 7, 2018 and as of that date the Koningsdam did not have the Luggage Direct programme in place.  That is what I was told at the Service desk when I enquired about it.  Hope it is by the time you board, because we have enjoyed it twice for flights into Detroit on past cruises on other Hal ships.

Edited by boards

The service itself is great.

The issue is that using it can sometimes result in being embarrassingly pulled from the gangplank into a full blown customs inspection and interrogation.

Apparently wishing to send ones bags ahead rather than picking them up personally in the terminal arouses an extra degree of interest and scrutiny.

I agree with the above, we had no problem at all when we were able to book the luggage direct, it worked out just fine.  That is why we were disappointed the Koningsdam did have it setup yet.  We needed it more this time than the others due to DW's mobility problem.

16 minutes ago, boards said:

I agree with the above, we had no problem at all when we were able to book the luggage direct, it worked out just fine.  That is why we were disappointed the Koningsdam did have it setup yet.  We needed it more this time than the others due to DW's mobility problem.

Thanks for the feedback.  And I just learned today that the Koningsdam does offer Luggage Direct now and I'll be able to use it for my 12/21 cruise!

Have used it several times with no problems.  Most recently this past March, and there were 6 of us.  All of our luggage arrived as expected on the carousel at our home airport when we went to retrieve it.  Plan to use it again next month.  Well worth the fee.

58 minutes ago, detroit70 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  And I just learned today that the Koningsdam does offer Luggage Direct now and I'll be able to use it for my 12/21 cruise!

Great, glad to hear that.

I see you  have some negative and positive feedback.  We disembarked from the Zuiderdam on December 5, using Luggage Direct!  It was fantastic all the way around!  Plus the overweight bag grace was a plus, too!  Have a fantastic cruise!

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

You can also have your bags delivered directly to your cabin from the airport...

This service mentioned in your Post is not the same as Luggage Direct.  As more fully explained in the HAL material linked in your Post, the A/P to cabin delivery service is called Bags VIP Luggage Delivery and (not surprisingly) costs more.  We have used both LD and BVIPLD and believe each is a great service and well worth the price!  👍👍👍

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

If you re-read my post, you'll see that I never said it was the same. It's an additional service offered by the same company,

Nor did I say that you had said it is the same service.  I was merely pointing out, for the benefit of CCers who may have thought that, since the title of this Thread is "Luggage Direct in FLL", your Post also related to LD and not to other services.  Sort of like thinking that you must be from Kentucky since your CC avatar is Harland Sanders, the Kentucky Colonel!

In any event, sorry you took my Post incorrectly.

3 minutes ago, avian777 said:

I was merely pointing out, for the benefit of CCers who may have thought that, since the title of this Thread is "Luggage Direct in FLL", your Post also related to LD and not to other services. 

I guess my starting off with the words, "You can also have...." and linking to the site which shows them as separate services wasn't clear enough for other's to comprehend. Thanks for clarifying this. As for assuming things from one's avatar, I'm Jewish and never lived in Kentucky. So much for assuming things. Let's get back on topic.

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

... Thanks for clarifying this. As for assuming things from one's avatar, I'm Jewish and never lived in Kentucky. So much for assuming things. Let's get back on topic.

Not to put too fine a point on matters, but what does being Jewish have to do with using the Col. Sanders avatar?  Just trying to follow your logic here ...

1 minute ago, avian777 said:

Not to put too fine a point on matters, but what does being Jewish have to do with using the Col. Sanders avatar?  Just trying to follow your logic here ...

The Col. is wearing Santa's hat, celebrating Christmas.

• 1 month later...

We flew out of FLL last month and did not have TSA Precheck on our boarding passes even though we had it flying into FLL, had first class tickets, and have had TSA precheck on every flight for the last several years. Might just be a FLL thing as we didn't see anyone in the precheck line areas.

We did luggage direct out of FLL a few years ago. Our luggage arrived at JFK on an earlier flight than we did. We were surprised to see it going round and round on the carousel until we realized what had happened. We were lucky no one took it since no one was there watching.

We recently got off the Koningsdam in FLL and were offered Luggage Direct to Vancouver.  Since I was traveling with a girlfriend we tried it.  Was absolutely fantastic to leave our luggage outside our cabin and pick it up in Vancouver.  

We used luggage direct on 1/20/19 (Nieuw Statendam) for a FLL -> MSP nonstop. We are "trusted travelers" (Nexus Cards) and the boarding passes that the NS printed had the TSA Precheck notification. It worked great for us and I would certainly use it again. The only downside that I can see is that you must get off the ship with the early disembarkation group (which was 7:30 am for us).