Sailing to Hawaii

tigger54

My husband and I are cruising out of Long Beach next month. We will be doing a 14 day on the Splendor to Hawaii. We will have 4 sea days going up and 4 coming back. What kind of weather can I expect on those 8 sea days? Shorts and tshirts or long pants and jeans? Perhaps some of both?

Also what will the weather be like in Hawaii? Will I need a jacket during the day or maybe just in the evening? Just want to make sure we have the clothes we need. 

Any other advise for this trip will be welcomed. We cruise quite a bit but I have never been to Hawaii.

Wife + I sailed Miracle to Hawaii + back 2 years ago January. Unfortunately, we had a 30kts headwind all the way there + back. We were only able to lay out 1 day + we had 10 sea days. We missed 2 ports in Hawaii due to weather. The Pacific is NOTHING like the Caribbean, but then, it all depends. Pay close attn to the forecast in Long Bch, you'll be sitting outside waiting to board.

We also did this this cruise on the Splendor in January for 15 days.  5 out 5 on the Islands and 5 back.  If you like to be on the Lido Deck (outside), which we do....there are some chilly and windy days.  (never went below 50 degrees)...but felt colder with the wind. Bring a warm jacket with you!   You will be glad you did.  Have a great cruise.  It is an amazing vacation and I love the Splendor.

1 hour ago, CRocks said:

Wife + I sailed Miracle to Hawaii + back 2 years ago January.  Pay close attn to the forecast in Long Bch, you'll be sitting outside waiting to board.

I am under the impression that you no longer have to sit outside in Long Beach while waiting to board since they completed the remodel on the dome. Can someone who has recently sailed out of LB comment on this.

I just sailed on the Carnival Splendor in October 2018 from Long Beach to Hawaii.  We lucked out and had fantastic weather each way.  Two other couples sailed with us and the women wore a light sweater several days.  I was fine and didn't put my light cardigan on until we were flying back to Pennsylvania.

As far as rough seas, etc. we literally had smooth sailing each way on the Pacific.  My husband and I have cruised the Caribbean over 20 times and were told the Pacific could be a lot different.  Luckily we had wonderful, calm seas.  There were some winds on the day we were to tender/water taxi to Kona, so we didn't get to see that port.

The most important tip I can offer is that Hawaii's ports are very different than in the Caribbean.  I have always just walked off the ship and could shop or visit a bar/restaurant in the Caribbean.  In the Hawaiian ports, the ship docks in very industrial areas.  You need to take a taxi or shuttle to get to the beautiful spots you want to see.  My husband and I spent quite a bit of money for rides.  I'm not complaining - just stating facts.  I had a wonderful cruise and the days at sea were never boring.  I hope you have a fantastic time too!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CRocks said:

Unfortunately, we had a 30kts headwind all the way there + back.

The weather pattern on the pacific is always west to east. So you would be sailing into the seas and wind on the way to Hawaii. Sailing back from Hawaii, the wind will be at your back and following seas.

• Like 1

I can't speak about the cruising part, but we always do land vacations in Hawaii.  The temperature is pretty moderate year round and is shorts/t-shirt weather at the beaches all year.  If you go up into any kind of elevation, the temperature will obviously cool down and will get down right cold at some of the summits and will snow on the summits of the Big Island.  In the evening, a light sweater is sometimes nice to have but not always necessary on the waterfront.  I will say that the Pacific Ocean can be a lot cooler than you would expect so I wouldn't be surprised that it can get chilly, especially at night, when out at open seas.

4 hours ago, 67chevelle said:

I am under the impression that you no longer have to sit outside in Long Beach while waiting to board since they completed the remodel on the dome. Can someone who has recently sailed out of LB comment on this.

You are correct, waiting is inside, unless you get there really early or outside of your arrival appointment time. Just sailed 2 weeks ago and the doors did not open until 10:30 then you are inside. If you are outside of your arrival time window you may have to wait outside until allowed into the building.

Ken

21 hours ago, coevan said:

The weather pattern on the pacific is always west to east. So you would be sailing into the seas and wind on the way to Hawaii. Sailing back from Hawaii, the wind will be at your back and following seas.

NO, as I said, we had a 30 kts headwind both directions!

On 12/17/2018 at 11:23 AM, cruiselover** said:

I just sailed on the Carnival Splendor in October 2018 from Long Beach to Hawaii.  We lucked out and had fantastic weather each way.  Two other couples sailed with us and the women wore a light sweater several days.  I was fine and didn't put my light cardigan on until we were flying back to Pennsylvania.

As far as rough seas, etc. we literally had smooth sailing each way on the Pacific.  My husband and I have cruised the Caribbean over 20 times and were told the Pacific could be a lot different.  Luckily we had wonderful, calm seas.  There were some winds on the day we were to tender/water taxi to Kona, so we didn't get to see that port.

The most important tip I can offer is that Hawaii's ports are very different than in the Caribbean.  I have always just walked off the ship and could shop or visit a bar/restaurant in the Caribbean.  In the Hawaiian ports, the ship docks in very industrial areas.  You need to take a taxi or shuttle to get to the beautiful spots you want to see.  My husband and I spent quite a bit of money for rides.  I'm not complaining - just stating facts.  I had a wonderful cruise and the days at sea were never boring.  I hope you have a fantastic time too!

Thanks for the tip.  I often read the same comment about Freeport, Bahamas (which also has beautiful spots although the ship docks in an industrial area).  I will be sure to budget for taxis and shuttles since just staying on the ship at Hawaii is not an option 😉 

Off topic: I grew up in Erie County - Go Otters!

The Splendor, which is sailing to Hawaii in January, has a retractable roof over the lido deck pool area.  On cold, windy or rainy days they close the roof but you can still use the pool, and enjoy the theater screen.  They are also able to offer music, dancing and other activities regardless of the weather.

When it was cold and windy outside we found it to also be cold in some of the public areas inside.  You will set your clock back 1 hour twice on the way to Hawaii so that you are on Hawaii time when you arrive, and set it forward twice on the way back.

I just got back from a 14 day cruise to Hawaii on Splendor.  I have to admit, I like cool weather, but some did feel the need for sweaters or light jackets, especially at night.  But there were also very sunny days with the pools in full use.  I guess it depends on your temperature thresholds.  Never a bad idea to bring at least a lightweight jacket.  As for temperatures on the Islands, it was in the 70s and 80s, often with a small breeze.  And sun, sun, sun.  Even the rain was intermittent, never a steady rain, just a drizzle, then it would stop.  And as the comment above says, it was often cooler inside than outside.  Enjoy the cruise, I sure did.