Pacific Princess compared to Prisendam

Dog Drool

I took my first cruise on the Prisendam this fall and loved it; I have decided that I am a small ship cruiser. 

Looking for other ships this size I found that Princess Pacific is close and has some nice itineraries. Has anyone sailed on this ship and can say what you like or not?  I will most likely be traveling solo if this makes a difference.

PP is one of the R ships from Renaissance cruise lines. Haven’t sailed it but we’ve done multiple trips on the R ships other cruise lines sail.  The overall layout is far superior to the Prinsendam. Cabins and bathrooms will be smaller on the R ships. 

I would expect lots of wear and tear on PP as Carnival is milking revenue while trying to sell it. Oceania purchased the Ocean Princess a few years ago and expected to spend forty million to bring it up to standards of that line. They spent fifty five plus.  

I would not choose either Prinsendam or PP.   Instead, check out Viking, Oceania or Azamara. . 

Depends a lot on one's own preferences ratio between onboard ambiance and  interesting itineraries - Pacific Princess has the closest itinerary preferences to what we like about HAL But I  also hear onboard it is a bit beat up, but one hears that about any older ship - lots of paint layers build up over time giving the impression of being 'beat up", but that is purely superficial.  One finds that on the older HAL ships too.  

Have you looked into the new Maasdam InDepth offerings - now the smallest HAL ship, loverly refurbishments, old traditional  HAL charms, with a brand new high enrichment onboard program along with very enticing and unique itineraries.  And a lot of layers of built up paint. :classic_ohmy:

Edited by OlsSalt

The R class ships, of which Pacific Princess is one, are comparatively shallow draft ships which is great for getting into smaller or lesser known ports, but not so good if you are caught out in bad weather. They do not handle heavy weather nearly as well as a deep draft vessel like like the Prinsendam.

• Like 1

I haven't been on Pacific Princess but have heard mostly positive reports on her -- from those who like smaller ships. She has devotees who have spent hundreds of days onboard. I was just on my first R-class ship over Thanksgiving (Azamara Journey) and really liked the size of her. Keep in mind the R-class are just a bit smaller than the Prinsendam.  I agree with most who say that the cabins and bathrooms are small, especially for those used to what is found on some HAL ships. But for a solo, a regular cabin is fine.

I also am a small ship lover and am looking for options as I was just told last week that my beloved Voyages to Antiquity small ship, Aegean Odyssey (350 pax), has just been chartered for the next three years by Road Scholar.  Supposedly with the same crew and staff but no idea what the itineraries (and costs) will be like...

We've been on both (PP once on a Med /TA) & our favorite, The Elegant Explorer, 3X on 21+ day itineraries and will be on 'her' again for the month of June for a 'her' final 'Farewell Cruise'.

I would sail the PP at the drop of a hat. We had a great time and it's very much like the Prinsendam 'intimacy-wise'. Don't miss the chef's dinner (you'll need to sign  up the after boarding, very limited) that takes you down to the kitchen for appetizers (you wear chef whites) and then are led to their private DR for a multi course, with wines meal that's fabulous. 

Good luck.

Be well & Have a Great Holiday Season & a Super New Year to come!

Bob

My CC friends sailed on the sister ship (which is now the Sirena on O).  The really liked it.  They were on the P'dam with me and, while one couple preferred the P'dam, the other couple liked both equally - so all in all, I think you should be fine if you like the small ship experience and nice itineraries.

I'd be interested in hearing you thoughts once you have sailed her (if you don't mind).

I was on her so many years ago that my experience wouldn't count but I did like the ship at the time. 🙂 

We've sailed twice on both ships, plus once on Oceania's Regatta which was a sister to Pacific when they were built.  They are both small ships with a bit of age on them.  But I really like them both.  Their similarity is their size and age.  I think their biggest difference is that the Prinsendam is a classic, with beautiful lines and finishes with lots of wood.  And the Prinsendam rides better.  In the 40+ days we spent on both, we never encountered particularily rough seas, but I'm sure the Prinsendam would handle them better.  I've sailed on several different ships and the Prinsendam is by far my favorite and I mourn her loss to HAL.  Having said that, the Pacific ranks way up there, too.

Thankyou for all the information.  I will have to keep the shallow draft in mind if I do a trans Atlantic  .  I can deal with old and layer of paint but not so much old and non working plumbing.  I will miss the Prisendam  I hope HAL see the light and replaces her with something in that size  

I've spent months on the Pacific Princess. It has 200+ less passengers than the Prinsendam, so almost no lines and problems tendering. It has a cabaret lounge and no main stage, but the entertainment is good and varied. The buffet only offered a rotating dinner menu on some sea days. The PP is the world cruise ship and the staff is the best.

The only issue I had with the PP was no open seating.

1 hour ago, DeltaBreeze said:

I've spent months on the Pacific Princess. It has 200+ less passengers than the Prinsendam, so almost no lines and problems tendering. It has a cabaret lounge and no main stage, but the entertainment is good and varied. The buffet only offered a rotating dinner menu on some sea days. The PP is the world cruise ship and the staff is the best.

The only issue I had with the PP was no open seating.

Fixed dining was the big reason we didn’t do PP in Alaska or anywhere.  Cannot do the old fashioned regimentation.  

Also, if you are walkers and enjoy HAL's deck that allows for that, there is no wrap around deck on Pacific Princess. Walking is done on a small jogging track on upper level (I forget which deck) and that is fine for nice weather. 

We've been on PP  a couple of times and prior to that the Ocean Princess and the Ruby before they left the fleet. We also have considerable time on the Prinsendam although it's been a while. In general, I prefer the Prinsendam, but have done some great itineraries on the small Princess ships. And it's been two years since we were on the PP, so don't know about the current condition. It was fine two years ago though.

I was on the Crystal Symphony when we sailed cat and mouse on Ocean Princess's final sailing.  Several times I looked down on saw the tiny jogging track and said "I'm sure glad I'm not on that ship".  That's a real show stopper for me.  Thankful I have another 80 days on the Prinsendam before she retires.

Roy

I haven’t been on the Prinsendam, but I have been on the Pacific Princess. I highly prefer the big ships, but if you like the small ships, she’s great. She’s one of my DH’s favorite ships because she feels like you’re really on a ship at sea and visits more exotic ports. There’s a camaraderie aboard because the ship is so small. I think you’d feel comfortable as a solo. The aft desk is a beautiful location to eat at the buffet. 

If you are interested in an inside or oceanview cabin, HAL usually charges 165-170% for solos.  Princess routinely charges 200% regardless of category.  If you are booking a balcony or suite this is not an issue because both charge 200% for them.