NCL Escape views of Manhattan/statue of liberty

Costa canary

Hi , I will be on the Escape on 20th Jan , can anyone recommend the best place on the ship where I can get good views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty as we sail away , I have looked at the deck plans and was thinking about one of deck 8 waterfront (if it goes all the way around the aft of the ship ) , spice H20 or the sun deck on 19 , any suggestions?

thanks 

28 minutes ago, Costa canary said:

Hi , I will be on the Escape on 20th Jan , can anyone recommend the best place on the ship where I can get good views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty as we sail away , I have looked at the deck plans and was thinking about one of deck 8 waterfront (if it goes all the way around the aft of the ship ) , spice H20 or the sun deck on 19 , any suggestions?

thanks 

That would be where I'd suggest.

2 hours ago, Costa canary said:

thanks 

We have done two things.

The first is to go directly from muster to Deck 17 and park on the starboard rail for views of Manhattan.  Then move to the port side and peek over heads and maybe squeeze in for that one photo of the SOL. 

The second is to walk fast (don’t run) immediately after muster to Deck 19 all the way forward. You get a 180 degree forward facing view. You get good views (but not the best) views of both Manhattan and the SOL from one spot on the rail. (We did this last year). 

From the waterfront, you are making a choice of one or the other,,, you can still move between sides. The views from H20 are not the best,,, you can check out all locations when you embark and finalize your plan. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, Costa canary said:

thanks 

We just returned from the Escape yesterday.

Our sailaway was late and we were at dinner but snuck out of Cagney's to catch a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty and had a perfect view from the Waterfront on the starboard side. 

For return, we also went to the Waterfront.... port side for the Statue of Liberty, then we crossed through the ship to the starboard side to take in Manhattan all the way to docking. 

Enjoy your cruise - it's a great ship. 

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The first is to go directly from muster to Deck 17 and park on the starboard rail for views of Manhattan.  Then move to the port side and peek over heads and maybe squeeze in for that one photo of the SOL. 

Sailing away from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, Manhattan will be on the port side, the Statue of Liberty on starboard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Sailing away from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, Manhattan will be on the port side, the Statue of Liberty on starboard. 

That's what I thought unless the ship was going backwards down the Hudson.  That's why I always book a Starboard side balcony so that we can see the Statue of Liberty from our balcony on the way out of NYC.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hannibal54 said:

CVA34, is this as in

USS Oriskany (CV-34)

Yes it is, but, actually its CVA 34, westpac 1968-1970. Now its a fish habitat off Pensacola, FL in 200 feet of water. The A was added after the Korean war, the removed sometime after 1974

Edited by CVA34
font size

7 hours ago, CVA34 said:

Yes it is, but, actually its CVA 34, westpac 1968-1970. Now its a fish habitat off Pensacola, FL in 200 feet of water. The A was added after the Korean war, the removed sometime after 1974

When I looked it up I saw that the ship also had a CVA designation. Thanks for your service!

I was on the CV-60, she also had an A at times. My old ship is in Brownsville, Tx. getting cut up for scrap.

Edited by hannibal54

4 hours ago, hannibal54 said:

When I looked it up I saw that the ship also had a CVA designation. Thanks for your service!

I was on the CV-60, she also had an A at times. My old ship is in Brownsville, Tx. getting cut up for scrap.

The Oriskany was in Port Arthur prior to the sinking. Thank you for your service.

17 hours ago, JerseyMom said:

That's what I thought unless the ship was going backwards down the Hudson.  That's why I always book a Starboard side balcony so that we can see the Statue of Liberty from our balcony on the way out of NYC.

Me too 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off the 12/28 sailing of the Escape and it was rainy and cold for embarkation, so we got a beer and a couple of window seats at District and watched from there. It's on the port side, so you get Manhattan views but not Statue of Liberty, but still pretty incredible if you ask me. Food Republic is starboard side so I suppose you could go there, but it's not open that late on the first day.