Insurance question

rjm376

My husband and I  will be leaving for a cruise on January 12th, If I purchase the Carnival insurance now, could I cancel for any reason.  I understand that I would get a  75% credit for a future cruise,  The reason I am asking this is my father was just hospitalized, I am concerned that his condition could worsen. Any information  would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, rjm376 said:

My husband and I  will be leaving for a cruise on January 12th, If I purchase the Carnival insurance now, could I cancel for any reason.  I understand that I would get a  75% credit for a future cruise,  The reason I am asking this is my father was just hospitalized, I am concerned that his condition could worsen. Any information  would be greatly appreciated.

I probably am wrong but do not think you can purchase insurance at this late date.  Think you need to buy it when you bought the cruise, or at least when final payment was due.

4 hours ago, rjm376 said:

I don't know anything about the insurance, but I am very sorry about your dad and I hope his health improves and that you can enjoy your cruise.

11 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Review the policy but if the policy had cancel for any reason, you should be ok. 

Good luck!

Sorry I miss read your original post but you cannot buy insurance knowing you plan to use it in advance. The cancel for any reason provision has to be purchase right after you book the cruise. Best wishes to your father. 

Carnival Cancel for any reason insurance has to be purchased by the time of final payment. If you purchase outside of Carnival (think Travel Guard etc.) you must purchase at time of cruise booking.   We purchase Carnival insurance every time to use with our private insurance to increase medical evacuation benefits.  We always wait until final payment to purchase.  We have used cancel for any reason twice.  Read your insurance benefits that you received when you purchased your insurance.  It reads "Carnival Cruise Line will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Carnival Cruise Lines, for your use toward a future cruise.  This is available if only purchased prior to final payment.

1 hour ago, LittleYiaYia said:

Carnival Cancel for any reason insurance has to be purchased by the time of final payment. If you purchase outside of Carnival (think Travel Guard etc.) you must purchase at time of cruise booking.   We purchase Carnival insurance every time to use with our private insurance to increase medical evacuation benefits.  We always wait until final payment to purchase.  We have used cancel for any reason twice.  Read your insurance benefits that you received when you purchased your insurance.  It reads "Carnival Cruise Line will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Carnival Cruise Lines, for your use toward a future cruise.  This is available if only purchased prior to final payment.

You can still purchase Carnival insurance after the final payment date. See screenshot; we are past final payment and it will still allow us to purchase Carnival’s insurance. 

To the OP: I doubt you will be covered no matter whose insurance you purchase. It would fall under a preexisting exclusion. Meaning, you already know he’s sick, so you can’t just purchase insurance now because you know you might need it. It’s like if someone knew that flood waters were heading their way so they go out and buy flood insurance. That’s not how insurance works. You don’t wait to buy it until you know you need it. Otherwise, everyone would wait. 

6AC8E040-015E-42BA-B508-F0CA889DB105.jpeg

Hi Baker,  I just spoke with my PVP and asked him about this because when I book my cruises he always says that the insurance has to be paid at time of final payment.  He says that little blurb about purchasing insurance is always there so you can add it before final payment or at the time of final payment.  You will not be covered for "cancel for any reason" unless you purchased insurance before final payment or at time of final payment. That is clearly stated in the insurance information.  I do not know how to post a screen shot or I would, you have to be a lawyer to read all through this mumbo jumbo.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:25 PM, bakersdozen12 said:

You can still purchase Carnival insurance after the final payment date. See screenshot; we are past final payment and it will still allow us to purchase Carnival’s insurance. 

To the OP: I doubt you will be covered no matter whose insurance you purchase. It would fall under a preexisting exclusion. Meaning, you already know he’s sick, so you can’t just purchase insurance now because you know you might need it. It’s like if someone knew that flood waters were heading their way so they go out and buy flood insurance. That’s not how insurance works. You don’t wait to buy it until you know you need it. Otherwise, everyone would wait. 

Just to clarify, insurance does cover pre-existing conditions if purchased within the policy guidelines. In this case, I have not seen any policy that will cover pre-existing conditions if purchased after the final payment. Many require purchase when first booking, but plenty allow purchase up to final payment as long as final payment is before the minimum limit. The shortest minimum limit to purchase pre-existing coverage I have seen was 30 days, but it was a policy three time more expensive than others. Most I have seen are 90 days. And then there is the look-back period for pre-existing conditions to consider. It is best to read the policy as best you can and talk to the insurance company if possible. Just know that you can generally purchase travel or cruise insurance up to 24 hours before your vacation begins, but you will be ineligible for many provisions of the policy. I have found InsureMyTrip is really good at adding a disclaimer about which provisions of the policy will not be in effect.