Sitka vs Icy Strait Point

JBCall

Hello,

I am looking to choose between two different cruises and the primary difference is that one goes to Sitka, the other to Icy Strait Point. What are the main differences and highlights for each port?  We are a family of 5 (3 tween / teens).  Also, is there much of a weather difference between early July and early August?

Thanks.

ISP is whale watching heaven.  Sitka is a mixture of wildlife viewing:  otters, deer, harbor seals, some whales, birds and brown bears at the Fortress of the Bears.

The weather is warmer in August and the mosquitoes are more prevalent.

Go to each  port's visitor site and do a search of port activities.   Look over your shore excursion list.   There is plenty to see and do in each port.  

I find each -  equally, having superb activities to enjoy.   

Each port in Alaska is spectacular, all with different strengths, but they're all strengths.  ISP is more of a less developed village feel, Sitka is more of a town.  Both are great to experience.  ISP is the whale watching place, but we actually got our whale watching off the pier at Sitka.  At one point, there were too many whales for us to keep track of, and we just started laughing and saying, "There's too many!"  After a while, the captain of the boat laughed and said, "Ho Hum whales--should we go find some other things to see?"  We all laughed and off we went...  At ISP we went on a brown bear search, and in addition to seeing 6 brown bear just feet away, we learned about the tribal governance of the port and native customs as our guide was an elder.  I wouldn't be able to choose--I'd just pick one or the other cruise for whatever reasons, and promise myself to do the other one on another cruise.

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Check to see how many ships are in port on the day you will be there.  Also how many passengers will be in port that day.  Choose the least crowded port.  

Sitka has two piers for large cruise ships, plus frequently a third (and occasionally a fourth) tendering to shore.

Icy Strait Point currently has only one dock which accommodates no larger than a previous-generation Panamax ship. A handful of days will have a second ship tendering, but no larger than a 700-passenger Renaissance-class. 

Though a new dock will be added at Icy Strait Point in 2020 (financed by NCL to take its large ships) for next year there cannot be any days with Icy Strait Point having more pax ashore than Sitka other than the days with no ships at all.

As for the OP's questions: even if you plan to tour independently you should research what type of shore excursions you ship offers in each port, which may or may not form a consensus as to which activities are of more interest. And re the weather, as has been already stated the later in the season the more rain you will see. And each day gets a little shorter the further away from June 21 you get. Unless fishing and wildlife sightings are your sole priorities I personally consider before the Summer solstice as the best time of year to go, though obviously that doesn't fit in with school schedules very well.

• Like 1

As someone who has lived in Sitka and Juneau for the past 5 years, don’t count on averages or typical weather patterns to dictate when you go. The past several years have been all

over the place, weather wise. I like the end of July for fishing and whale watching. It’s still plenty light enough in August. Sitka would be my choice for a family. It’s more of a small town than ISP. There are wonderful cultural opportunities, the Sitka National Historical Park, Fortress of the Bear, and plenty of options for tours on the water. It’s on the outer coast, right off the Gulf of Alaska, so it’s different from the other places you will see on the Inside Passage. And there are lots of budget-friendly ways to fill a family day. The ships that dock have a bus ride ahead of them to and from town. Those that tender pull right up to the downtown harbor. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fishywood said:

Sitka has two piers for large cruise ships, plus frequently a third (and occasionally a fourth) tendering to shore.

Icy Strait Point currently has only one dock which accommodates no larger than a previous-generation Panamax ship. A handful of days will have a second ship tendering, but no larger than a 700-passenger Renaissance-class. 

Though a new dock will be added at Icy Strait Point in 2020 (financed by NCL to take its large ships) for next year there cannot be any days with Icy Strait Point having more pax ashore than Sitka other than the days with no ships at all.

The best way to determine how crowded the port will be is to go on claalaska.com where the 2019 draft of Alaska port schedules is currently available.  This will eventually be updated with berth assignments for the 2019 season.  It might be helpful  for some people to look at the draft before choosing a sailing date.   It is easier to predict how crowded the port will be than to predict the weather!  

I agree that the OP should also take a good look at the excursions available from each  port!    

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, AKfamily said:

As someone who has lived in Sitka and Juneau for the past 5 years, don’t count on averages or typical weather patterns to dictate when you go. The past several years have been all

over the place, weather wise. I like the end of July for fishing and whale watching. It’s still plenty light enough in August. Sitka would be my choice for a family. It’s more of a small town than ISP. There are wonderful cultural opportunities, the Sitka National Historical Park, Fortress of the Bear, and plenty of options for tours on the water. It’s on the outer coast, right off the Gulf of Alaska, so it’s different from the other places you will see on the Inside Passage. And there are lots of budget-friendly ways to fill a family day. The ships that dock have a bus ride ahead of them to and from town. Those that tender pull right up to the downtown harbor.  

I agree with AK family in that Sitka has a slight overall advantage for the cruise ship guest over Hoonah. It is pretty much the "luck of the draw" with respect to weather up here.  As for times to visit Alaska--- The best dates to travel to and in Alaska really depends upon which part of Alaska you will be visiting and what you are most interested in. For instance, bear viewing is really popular, however most brown bear viewing is on the coast when the salmon are peaking out in the spawning streams, which occurs mid summer on. If you are doing a cruise tour or visiting interior Alaska as an independent with a lot of outdoor activity, you might want to come before the peak mosquito season begins, (which is shortly after mid June and ends around early August).  Not much of a mosquito problem in Southeast though, since they don't breed in brackish or salt water. As for whale watching times---https://rove.me/to/alaska/whale-watching    https://getawaytips.azcentral.com/the-best-time-for-whale-watching-in-alaska-12191052.html

Edited by kennicott