Money Exchange Havana

DOJO466

I might have missed postings on this subject.  I am well aware that there are no ATM's etc and that I need cash.  I am from US and am aware of the surcharge for USD. I do have euro in my possession and know there is a 10% surcharge on transactions at the exchange "booth" If I use USD there is a 25% exchange fee (no surprise there). I am doing the math right now as to how I change to CUC BUT my question is...as we disembark from Riviera at Havana what are the lines for money exchange?  We have a tour booked and do not want to miss it due to long exchange lines as I know we all will have to change currencies. Anyone been there done that?

Greetings

The money exchange in Havana is just after you clear immigration/customs in the terminal building.  It can be a little busy on the first morning but the lines move quickly.  There is a 10% penalty for using US dollars.  Everyone pays a 3% exchange fee.  So you net 87.30 CUC per every $100 US.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 1

When we went last May on the Sirena, we brought euros and dollars. Come to find out, most folks took both dollars and euros. Never needed to exchange them to CUCs. Our tour guides were happy to recieve their tips in US dollars. When we bought cigars, which were priced in euros in the government outlets, we asked if they took US dollars and they said yes. In fact we paid the same rate regardless of whether we gave them euros or dollars. Now, in the small shops, they may only take CUCs. But, in most cases from our experience in May, both US dollars and euros were accepted in most places. So when we were on an excursion we brought both. If they accepted dollars, we paid in dollars. If they only accepted euros, we paid in euros.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

All the small local places we went wanted CUC's.  The money exchange is straight ahead as you walk down the terminal and the lines went quickly. You are not correct about the fees, though.  Euros, pesos and Canadian dollars have a 3% fee....US dollars have a 13% fee. I got Canadian dollars before I left the US and exchanged them for CUC's. At the end of our trip I exchanged the CUC's back to US dollars. 

We were in Havana in November via Azamara. We do have an Oceania cruise booked that's why I am posting here.

We prepaid a classic car trip to The Tropicana with a company out of New Zealand. The drivers were glad to get dollars or Euros for their tips. Every other expense was paid in US dollars. We never converted our Euros or US dollars at all. We didn't need to. The only place we were charged a surcharge was at the Sephardic synagogue, which we didn't mind at all.

We also never got CUC's.  Since they work on a cash system, every place we went was happy to pull out a calculator and show us what the dollar equivalent was.  Our guide was very happy to be paid in US dollars. (P.S. Deb, we are heading to Florida on Jan.1.  Call my cell if you have any questions!)