EDGE ROOFTOP GARDEN /ROOFTOP GRILL: Feedback???

hcat

Recent feedback on the EDGE Rooftop Garden Area would be appreciated. Hoping to spend some time there soon!

Garden area,:

Is it sunny ,  any shade, windy?

How  comfy is the seating? 

What live entertainment is presented?

How often are movies (?) and sports  shown on big screen  TV?

Are  bar waiters circulating?

Was it crowded?

Did you enjoy going there?

Rooftop Grill: 

How was the  seating  for meals, menus and  the table service for lunch/ dinner? What did you ordrer? Could you order drinks?

Did you notice or experience  any soot issues in the Garden or at the Restaurant area?

hcat, there is no shade up there and it was pretty windy when I went up there. I would be interested in hearing about the benches which looked uncomfortable... but I did see some other seating which looked more comfortable. We did not spend much time there.... but  I think it you be nice in the evenings and perhaps early mornings. I liked the sunset bar area, which is right behind the RTG.... but it was a bit windy and very sunny.... but we were there post muster drill... around 4pm... so the sun was fairly low in the sky.

Hcat, we had dinner while we were in port in Cozumel. Food and service were great, but horrible setup. There is nothing to block wind around the dining area either. It was even cold with the wind while in port and many people took the blankets they hand out at night and were wrapped around them while eating. They need something like the plastic around the S class lawn club grills.

We talked to a few others who had dinners scheduled and went up there and it was too windy and they switched to lunch when it would be warmer.

They do have plenty of padded sectional sofas/chairs in addition to the hard wooden benches that are in the terminal that are very uncomfortable.

They did have movies at night up there but they usually were around 8 which overlapped dinner. They did have live music up there along with football games on the tv. Area is kind of a tough sell at night due to the wind and also being so far away from the dining/entertainment on the ship. 

We had dinner up there at 8pm while at sea.  We didnt have a problem with wind or being cold.  It was a very warm Caribbean night and was perfect temperature. There was a movie playing while we had dinner which was kinda cool.  Felt like when I was a kid at the drive in .  Our food was awesome.  It was the 2nd to last night of the cruise and we were craving some comfort food and it was perfect for us.  All 4 of us loved our food.  My appetizer was the dry rub chicken wings which were awesome. .  My partner had the chili which he said was very good and I dont remember what our moms had...I think one of them also had the wings.  We all had different mains, all were good.  We all did get the cookie and ice cream for dessert which was sooo delicious.  We really loved it and wish we had time to go back again.  It is dependent on weather...closes obviously if it rains...started to rain as we were finishing up dessert.  As far as the garden area is concerned, it was always busy up there during our 7 day cruise.  We never hung out up there, so not sure about how comfortable the Benches are.  They are kinda deep and sat back a bit which I liked.  I only sat for a few mins but seemed comfortable enough, for how long I dont know..  Theyplayed football games up there on Sundays and like Monday night football etc...

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Recent feedback on the EDGE Rooftop Garden Area would be appreciated. Hoping to spend some time there soon!

Garden area,:

Is it sunny ,  any shade, windy?

it is sunny and wind is partially blocked by the glass balconies

6 hours ago, hcat said:

How  comfy is the seating? 

upholstered sofas/chairs very comfortable

6 hours ago, hcat said:

What live entertainment is presented?

How often are movies (?) and sports  shown on big screen  TV?

i believe the sports schedule is published in the daily - somehow the husband knew NFL games shown up there

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Are  bar waiters circulating?

yes

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Was it crowded?

no

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Did you enjoy going there?

yes

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Rooftop Grill: 

How was the  seating  for meals, menus and  the table service for lunch/ dinner? What did you ordrer? Could you order drinks?

Did you notice or experience  any soot issues in the Garden or at the Restaurant area?

yes, there were soot stains on the upholstery

Thanks to all who have posted  for the great feedback..hope others will chime in.

We are booked for a port night in San Juan..hoping to catch a nice sunset and stars. Menu looks  perfect for a casual type meal. We will hope for a  wind sheltered table, if possible  but will bring sweaters just in case.

Has anyone seen the band up there or guitar player in the tree?

Note to self... "do not wear light color clothing  just in case of soot on lounges!"

We had a booking in the RTG on the first night of the December 9th cruise. It was so windy that the staff had to stop the table settings from flying off. Some diners were protected by blankets although it was pretty warm. My hair kept getting caught in my mouth as I was eating which wasn"t pleasant at all.I wish we had re-booked.  Mind you, it blew a gale and rained heavily on the last night of the cruise so the whole area was deserted apart from one member of the waitstaff.

The food and service was good otherwise. Oh and Impulse the band did some decent covers. 

Edited by dides

Thanks Vt...

Great photos...we hope to spend time up there, weather permitting

Our port  night dinner res is early so we are hoping for nice music rather than a movie or sporting event..But we'll just be happy if it is not too windy...no rain !

Enjoy your next EDGE adventure,!

We'll be on board soon..... my retro birthday outfit  will be perfect for  EDGE!

Thanks for all the info on the Rooftop Garden Grill.  I had booked it for us for Valentine's Day thinking it might be a lovely place for romantic dinner. - not expecting the wind (I guess the fabulous 3D virtual design was only done while the ship was stationary - lol).  I have switched it now to the evening that we are in Puerto Rico until 11 pm.  DH enjoys sail away....

Susan

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vtcruising said:

image.thumb.png.48218819279ea6f9cab271fc14e9f784.png

image.thumb.png.f9c99af38c4dc8aa4c2ba2a147c665be.png

image.thumb.png.314e554cd8e062b71d8ff0840df2d570.png

image.png.c8f88999bc496a062cd2c075c4cb22bc.png

From your pics, it looks like I sat in this same cushioned seats on the Dec  9-16 cruise while I watched The Reckless Charms sing a few tunes one night,  with the Football game playing on the big screen.  While the cushions look nice in your 

pics from the week before, they were already soiled with soot or dirt when I was up there. 

Were also doing the RTG on San Juan port night...hoping not windy..

Entertainment looks good. I assume no sound  for the game while the band played?

And we will not wear good clothing ,,,in case of soot..Just hope none in drinks or dinners!

Wonder of there's soot at the aft Sunset  bar or aft Balcony cabins?

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Were also doing the RTG on San Juan port night...hoping not windy..

Entertainment looks good. I assume no sound  for the game while the band played?

And we will not wear good clothing ,,,in case of soot..Just hope none in drinks or dinners!

Wonder of there's soot at the aft Sunset  bar or aft Balcony cabins?

From what I read on other threads, the soot does not reach the dining area or the Sunset, both of which are further back.

no sound from the game, while they were playing, but it was still distracting, and I'm sure the people there watching the game were not thrilled that there was no sound. 

On 12/28/2018 at 8:11 AM, hcat said:

Thanks Vt...

Great photos...we hope to spend time up there, weather permitting

Our port  night dinner res is early so we are hoping for nice music rather than a movie or sporting event..But we'll just be happy if it is not too windy...no rain !

Enjoy your next EDGE adventure,!

We'll be on board soon..... my retro birthday outfit  will be perfect for  EDGE!

I hope your birthday is special! 🙂   Are you eating at FCSH too?