Glass in food

Deb77

2 hours ago, BekkaW said:

Good pick up! No, they don’t 

Giovanni’s has a desert cart and there are windows in that restaurant in radiance and vision class ships but I doubt the cart could get between the tables and chairs at the windows in order to hit the windows.  

13 hours ago, Deb77 said:

Thank you, we hope to cruise again but not with RCC

I am sorry for you about the glass incident and hope nothing bad comes from it for your DH! However, I don't think you should rule out cruising with RCCL, as this type of thing (or even worse) can happen on any ship on any cruise lines. I've been involved in bad car crashes but I still drive and ride in a car. Just saying - it was an "accident". Happy cruising on whatever ships you so choose! CHEERS!

15 hours ago, Deb77 said:

Good being skeptical, but also good being honest and i have been, 100% . I never told my friends on the cruise  about the glass, as didnt want to upset them. i think its good that i say something perhaps i should have told others on the cruise but i didnt want to worry anyone. I can be very quiet, now i do speak about it. Many others have had worse but its a forum i can speak out on what happened to us

You are perfectly welcome to air your grievances here.  Sorry you felt it was worth eliminating RCCL from your cruise line list though.  I would never consider such a thing.  I would've discussed with GS and expected some form of compensation, and been happy with anything they gave me.  Then visit the Future Cruise desk.....:classic_tongue:  Happy uneventful future cruising.

17 hours ago, Deb77 said:

Well it did we were suprised as well, i never imagined a dessert cart by the way would roll that hard or fast when the ship listed, but it did, my husband and were up getting a glimpse of scenery it flew towards the seat i would have been on and then smashed up against the window. The manager was there and they usually secure them but it was not secured. As we watched how they reacted after it occured they were quick and caring in response

The ship listed?

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 2:18 AM, SRF said:

Eating glass is not that big of a deal.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ground-glass-deadly/

https://www.google.com/search?q=eating+glass&oq=eating+glass&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.1671j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

No, I am not defending RCI for it being there, but it is not that big of a deal.

Did you even read the links you provided?  The first one refers to finely ground glass.  That’s not what the OP is referring to here.  The second one is a google search, where the second result clearly states that ingesting glass can be deadly.  I don’t know how you could possible claim that eating glass is not a big deal.  If you’re referring to the circus acts of glass eaters, remember that those are ACTS.  Never take something like that at face value.

22 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, I found the comment about the battery in the smoke detector to be strange.  The smoke detectors are hard wired to a central panel on the bridge.  However, they don't turn the sprinklers on, what does that is the small plastic "pill" holding the stopper in the sprinkler.  When this melts at a pre-determined temperature, the stopper falls out, and the rain begins.  It will also start to rain when some bright spark decides that the sprinkler head makes a good place to hang a clothes hanger, and breaks the pill.

It's hard enough keeping up with the door lock batteries, let alone if the smoke detectors had them.

11 hours ago, SRF said:

BTW, in hotels, the smoke detectors are required, in the US under the Hotel Motel Fire Safety Act, to be hardwired.  No battery ones allowed.

I have hard wired detectors in my house, but they still have batteries so that they continue to function in the event of a power outage.  Are the ones in hotels and ships different than those?  If so I find that a little concerning.  It seems to me that loss of power is something that should be designed for on cruise ships, and having detectors that continue to function even when there is total loss of power would be considered a vital safety issue.

1 hour ago, parsec0298 said:

I have hard wired detectors in my house, but they still have batteries so that they continue to function in the event of a power outage.  Are the ones in hotels and ships different than those?  If so I find that a little concerning.  It seems to me that loss of power is something that should be designed for on cruise ships, and having detectors that continue to function even when there is total loss of power would be considered a vital safety issue.

Smoke detectors, and other essential equipment on the ship are powered by three power sources.  First is the ship's normal power system, and if that fails, the emergency generator will power them, and if that fails, then the emergency battery bank (there are several, and they are 24v and several hundred amp-hour banks, not little 9 volt batteries) will provide power.

I chipped a tooth this year in the middle of the cruise when biting down on food. I went to see the Dr, they gave pain meds which I didn't use. They called to check on me multiple times, gave me a percentage of OBC, paid dental bill when I returned and gave a percentage off next cruise. Both percentages off were either 10 or 20. 

Edited by tennislvr8

9 hours ago, parsec0298 said:

Did you even read the links you provided?  The first one refers to finely ground glass.  That’s not what the OP is referring to here.  The second one is a google search, where the second result clearly states that ingesting glass can be deadly.  I don’t know how you could possible claim that eating glass is not a big deal.  If you’re referring to the circus acts of glass eaters, remember that those are ACTS.  Never take something like that at face value.

Now read these posts future cruisers, this is how they will treat you if you tell the truth. They will say glass in your food us no big deal get over it

11 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

You are perfectly welcome to air your grievances here.  Sorry you felt it was worth eliminating RCCL from your cruise line list though.  I would never consider such a thing.  I would've discussed with GS and expected some form of compensation, and been happy with anything they gave me.  Then visit the Future Cruise desk.....:classic_tongue:  Happy uneventful future cruising.

They offered, i declined. Others can go, i wish them luck and happiness on board, but i said what happened to us, i sent a wonderful email to RCC stating i hope they rectify the safety issues for future guests. I did what i felt was right

18 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

Possibly the OP is more offended  by her perception of RCI's response  than the actual problems reported.  

Regardless, it always seems odd to me that some folks will abandon a vendor after one bad experience.  Especially if the vendor does not have a history of bad performance.

I would love to not abandon but they need to be humble and accept the issues i listed to them in a polite and respectful way, they did not address me with concern in an adequate fashion for the severity of the issues,  the glass in husband's food mainly

Edited by Deb77

13 hours ago, SilkySal said:

I am sorry for you about the glass incident and hope nothing bad comes from it for your DH! However, I don't think you should rule out cruising with RCCL, as this type of thing (or even worse) can happen on any ship on any cruise lines. I've been involved in bad car crashes but I still drive and ride in a car. Just saying - it was an "accident". Happy cruising on whatever ships you so choose! CHEERS!

Hes fine, for that im so thankful. It could have been so much worse, i sincerely hope noone children or adults have to experience glass that size in your food aboard a cruise

On 12/28/2018 at 10:56 PM, Deb77 said:

My husband and I went on radiance of the seas to new zealand. He is Australian and had never been on royal carribean before. He and I recieved a decent cabin but the smoke alarm went off waking us up at night once at 2am before 3 days into the cruise they replaced the battery and problem was solved. Then while enjoying our dinner my husband bit into an appetizer tart and found he had bitten down on glass, he pulled it out and staff came and took the glass. He didnt even know if he ingested any, we were scared to death! We were afraid to eat the food, who knows what else they have in it. Glass is bad, we are shocked!!! The final straw was when a dessert cart came flying towards my table as the ship was turning, smashing into a window as i had just luckily got up to look out at the scenery. were very lucky we were not harmed from this nightmare at sea. When i returned i contacted american corporate office to be told here is a coupon off another cruise, ha i wont be needing that, I wont be going on another cruise with them, safety is not serious to royal carribean in my opinion. Jessica at corporate acted uncaring and like no big deal, ummm yes it is. Having food without glass, and being safe at sea is a Big Deal

Note to self: Do not eat appetizer tarts on Radiance OTS.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:56 PM, Deb77 said:

My husband and I went on radiance of the seas to new zealand. He is Australian and had never been on royal carribean before. He and I recieved a decent cabin but the smoke alarm went off waking us up at night once at 2am before 3 days into the cruise they replaced the battery and problem was solved. Then while enjoying our dinner my husband bit into an appetizer tart and found he had bitten down on glass, he pulled it out and staff came and took the glass. He didnt even know if he ingested any, we were scared to death! We were afraid to eat the food, who knows what else they have in it. Glass is bad, we are shocked!!! The final straw was when a dessert cart came flying towards my table as the ship was turning, smashing into a window as i had just luckily got up to look out at the scenery. were very lucky we were not harmed from this nightmare at sea. When i returned i contacted american corporate office to be told here is a coupon off another cruise, ha i wont be needing that, I wont be going on another cruise with them, safety is not serious to royal carribean in my opinion. Jessica at corporate acted uncaring and like no big deal, ummm yes it is. Having food without glass, and being safe at sea is a Big Deal

Hope you enjoy cruising on other lines.

Edited by mugtech

I'm a little baffled. In 18 years of cruising, I've never had a ship turn (as OP put it) that anything moved, including carts. I could see this in times of rough seas but not leaving port. The glass thing could happen anywhere. I was sympathetic to the OP's problems until they started getting snippy with their replies, now they are just another one that finds CC to post about a problem.