Northbound From Vancouver

Littleribbie

1st time Alaska Cruise: Considering Princess in Mid June /7 Day: w/Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway , Gl. Bay NP (cruising) College Fjord (cruising) and Anchorage.

Because viewing the glaciers/scenery are a high priority do we want to be Port or Starboard.....will there be things to see from both sides. Im sure most often we will be up on the decks for the best viewing but I know hubby likes to also relax in the cabin too. Also (might be a crazy question) but will June still offer the spectacular glaciers and flowers or would I be better off really trying to get a July cruise. Also I would love to splurge on a helicopter or seaplane ride at one of the ports....can anyone recommend one in particular. I did read that some seaplanes offer to land near or close to a glacier to be able to get out and walk around...oh my gosh...just the thought of that gives me goosebumps...that would be wonderful. Has anyone been able to do that? 

One more question and I will ask again on Princess page but: Princess lists this cruise but is listing about 4 ships all for the same cruise....Coral, Royal, Pacific....do they choose the ship at a later date? How does it work...Im considering this for 2020 and perhaps they haven't decided yet?? just confused....TIA

Same itinerary, but different ships on different dates? (my husband and I did his first AK cruise on Pacific Princess and adored it! But we love the little R class ships 😉

I'd pick starboard going northbound (we just did on Seabourn out of Vancouver this past September) but it's not the end of the world if your preferred cabin level/location is available - there's no way of telling what will happen in ports and glacier viewing will likely shift and/or be available on both sides....I'm a balcony lover (and introvert!) and spend a lot of time viewing from my balcony, so I get it 😉

On that first AK cruise husband and I did together, we had a glacier flight landing scheduled but it cancelled due to weather (fog) 😞

Edited by Hoyaheel

When at the glaciers, most Captains will swing the ship so both sides get equal viewing opportunities. For Port or Stbd, I suggest picking on whether you prefer morning sun or afternoon sun.

In 2019, Princess have 4 ships on this itinerary, alternating N'bd & S'bd every 7-days. Island & Coral TAR on Wednesdays and Royal & Golden on Saturdays.

For Helicopter excursions, might want to check out the dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier.

People really over think this. In Glacier Bay there are something like 8 or 10 glaciers, each covers dozens, if not hundreds of square miles, with faces at the water ( or nearby, due to global warming) a mile or more across,  and a couple hundred feet high, much higher than the ship. They are huge, and hard to miss.

Therefore there is not one specific spot to see them. Glacier Bay is a cul de sac, what you miss going in, you will see on the way back out.

If  glaciers are your priority,  then I  strongly suggest-  taking a PWS  boat tour out of Whittier.   That will be grossly superior to anything you see from a cruise ship.   IF you are planning on staying in your cabin,  during Glacier Bay,  the commentary lines up with the port side.   But,  I am constantly moving side to side,  since I never settle for   only 50% o  f the views.   

A floatplane that lands near a glacier on the inside passage  that is popular is Taku Lodge,  which involves a salmon bake.     I have flown glaicer areas several times out of Ketchikan,  via floatplane,  but there were no landings near them.   Better could be a glacier helicopter landing,  which I've also done (9 times)   The Glacier Dog sled , helicopter, tours are way more snow cover,   then the other tours.