Port in Los Angeles to LAX ?

DCP

I have tried searching this, and haven't been able to find any good information. We are on the PC cruise docking in LA on 04/14. Can anyone give me any advice as to the best way to get from the port to LAX? (and approximate costs?) Thanks!

5 hours ago, DCP said:

I have tried searching this, and haven't been able to find any good information. We are on the PC cruise docking in LA on 04/14. Can anyone give me any advice as to the best way to get from the port to LAX? (and approximate costs?) Thanks!

Can't remember the price as we did it, the last time about 5 years ago, but try Bell transfers. it wasn't expensive I do know that. 

1 minute ago, DCP said:

Thanks to all who helped out! We'll look at the options, this is the last thing I have to line up for this trip. 🙂

Have a great cruise!

We pre-booked SuperShuttle with an AAA discount. They have a row of vans waiting. As soon as a van fills, you’re on your way to the airport. 

On 1/1/2019 at 6:11 AM, jjlen11 said:

I used the Norwegian transfer---think was $20...……..was the cheapest and easiest

We have that booked in a couple weeks.

what type of vehicle did they use?  A big bus or just shuttle size?

• 2 months later...

For an 8 AM docking on a Sunday in LA, if we were one of the first off the ship and taking a Taxi/Uber, and IF everything ran on time, would a 11:45 AM flight be attainable?

I realize it is tighter than most would like, but I find I am always way ahead of time when I come into Miami and I'm at the FLL Airport (which is even further) with hours to spare for a noon flight. I am willing to risk a little bit of a rushy timeline as the later flights are much more expensive and inconvenient. I am totally unfamiliar with LA Cruises and can't seem to find any solid information on this.

I am assuming, that at 8:00 AM, if we walked off and were on dry land by 8:45 and in a car, we would still be at the airport by 9:30 in LA Traffic - over 2 hours in advance. Not to mention, Sunday mornings aren't peak times at LAX.

Of course, there's not much room for error, but, does anyone have any experience with actual docking times? USUALLY - unless there's a weird customs or weather issue - Miami dockings are never LATER than 8 and lots of people are even off the ship by then, sometimes they clear by 7:30/7:45.

For reference LINK:

https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/transfers-and-car-services

Los Angeles (LAX) airport is $20 per person

Recommended time for transfer is 5 hours

Consider also on departure from LAX lines of people going thru TSA Security.

Having Pre-Check or other affinity fast track thru security is helpful.

That is the thing. I know the NCL Transfer options, but I am wondering about what the real life experience is like. Miami has similar time cushions if you are taking the NCL coach, but in real life, I always end up at the airport much earlier. And that's to Lauderdale's airport, which is much further.

I've never done LA, so I've got no idea what to expect.

Unfortunately, I am not eligible for Precheck in Canada 😞

6 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Unfortunately, I am not eligible for Precheck in Canada 😞

If you get a NEXUS card, you become a 'trusted traveller' and will automatically get Precheck if you register your ID Number with the airline.

I ended up springing for The more expensive but safer flight at 1:35 PM. This way I can walk off the ship leisurely.

I could have taken something much later for cheaper but, time is money I guess.

what time should I debark to make it to the airport for 10:45 AM? Would 9:45/10 AM on a Sunday be doable? I know LA traffic never stops, and I understand it’s lighter on Sunday mornings than other times. 

11 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

I ended up springing for The more expensive but safer flight at 1:35 PM. This way I can walk off the ship leisurely.

what time should I debark to make it to the airport for 10:45 AM? Would 9:45/10 AM on a Sunday be doable? I know LA traffic never stops, and I understand it’s lighter on Sunday mornings than other times. 

Are you carrying off your bags?  If not, give yourself plenty of time to collect your bag and go thru a very long customs/immigration line (the line could be long whether you carry off or not...it was very slow...one of my friends (American) was made to unpack his whole bag). Then to be safe, I would plan on a 45-60 minute ride to LAX.  Could be less on a Sunday but you just never know.

10 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Probably the smartest way to handle it. Sunday mornings are usually light traffic for Los Angeles, but you never know. The greater problem with LAX is the security lines. Southwest, out of terminal 1, has had long waits in the past, with lines going out of the terminal and along the street. I don't know if they have changed anything there, but I try to avoid terminal 1 at LAX.

49 minutes ago, fshagan said:

Probably the smartest way to handle it. Sunday mornings are usually light traffic for Los Angeles, but you never know. The greater problem with LAX is the security lines. Southwest, out of terminal 1, has had long waits in the past, with lines going out of the terminal and along the street. I don't know if they have changed anything there, but I try to avoid terminal 1 at LAX.

When I was there in May, they were also remodeling terminal 1...it was a mess.  I am traveling to LAX next month (on a Sunday) so will see if things have improved and what traffic is like to the port.

Last November we used Execucar  for the first time. We arrived a day early so used them from LAX to hotel (Crown Plaza) by port. This was a private car and the total cost if I remember correctly was 55.00. The service was wonderful and we would use them again. The driver was calling me as I was walking to baggage claim. Once we had our bags and called him he was there within 2 minutes and had us to our hotel in 35 minutes. 

On 12/31/2018 at 10:58 PM, DCP said:

We have used Super Shuttle.  The cost is comparable to the Norwegian transfer, but I have found that Norwegian really wants you to leave WAY before you need to.  I like using an outside service and getting an extra hour on the ship.  They have an app, and you can order vans virtually on the spot (and then wait for about as long as an Uber).  We sailed once with a large group, and I was able to schedule a van weeks in advance for just our group...which is nice too.

22 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

I'll look into Execucar, thank you!

I am flying to Canada, so I think that's Terminal 2. Canadian airlines aren't that big, usually just 2-3 flights/day across 2-3 airlines from most cities in the US, and as a result - the lineups are also pretty decent.

Westjet is out of terminal 2 - see this web page. Southwest International is in that terminal, but they don't fly that many international routes so you're probably good.

One further note - trying to make that tight flight - DO NOT CAR POOL that is to say do not use the same

transportation stopping at all the airlines !

The LAX airport is shaped in a "U" use this link to determine where the airlines are at:

https://www.flylax.com/en/lax-terminal-maps

Thus if leaving on United it will be the last stop if all the clowns get in the same bus/cab/shuttle.

There is also a slight chance your checked luggage may be off loaded at the wrong airline with multiple stops.

That noted you all leaving on Southwest (Terminal One) get on the same bus and United (Terminal 6) get on

a separate bus bypassing all the rest - the same for Delta (2) - American (4).

Separate transportation is the theme here avoid delaying stops at other airlines !

• Thanks 1