Teeming Netherlands 20% off Flash Sale

FuelScience

I received an email this morning from Teeming announcing a Flash Sale in their upcoming 10-day Netherlands cruise. You can book online between now and January 8 with the promotion code Tulip19 and receive a 20% discount. Teeming differs from most North American lines since it doesn’t offer included city tours. Right now there are cabins available for $1,301, which comes down to $1,041 with the discount. The most expensive cabins currently available are $1,949 or $1,559 with the discount.

We’re booked on this cruise, and we’re looking forward to sampling Teeming’s product. Although they haven’t gotten a lot of attention on CruiseCritic, they’ve gotten very good reviews on their 2018 cruises on other review sites. .

Jazzbeau, I hope this posting doesn’t violate the forum rules. It it does, please delete and let me know. I looked over the guidelines, and I don't think this qualifies as an ad, but I'll be happy with your decision on the matter. 

https://www.teemingrivercruises.com/cruises/re280319/

Edited by FuelScience
remove URL and reference to another cruise review site.

They seem to be pretty new in the business. All their vessels are previously used by other companies. The MS Royal Emerald was build in 2008 and known as Scenic Emerald. Seems like a lot of others are offering this ship too (like Noble Caledonia and more ... all say they have chartered the ship for a couple of trips).

steamboats

Yes, Teeming is just a couple of years old. It was started by a Florida couple who also do Florida vacation rentals. They use 4 ships right now. The Royal Emerald, the Royal Crown (commissioned in 2001 as the River Cloud), and the Johann Strauss (commissioned in 2006 as the Sound of Music) are all leased from Neerlandic Shipping Group. They just added a Rhone cruise using Croisieurope’s Rhone Princess. The ships are staffed by River Advice, the same company that provides staff for Avalon, Vantage, and other lines.

It’s a different approach to river cruising. Instead of offering included cruises, Teeming provides a smartphone app, Vox POPGuide, with city maps, sites of interest, and walking navigation including a “get me back to the ship” button. The app works offline without requiring a data connection. I’m eager to see how it works.

As I mentioned earlier, there aren’t any reviews that I can find on cruisecritic.com, and I found another site with 75 reviews of recent Teeming cruises. 93% of them are 5 stars with the balance being 4 and 3 stars—no 1 or 2 star reviews. Most seem to be from 1st time river cruisers.  

The app sounds interesting. Not including shore tours is nothing new in the business. That´s how it works for German river cruise companies. We don´t have any companies including tours.

Let´s say the mainstream companies are getting rid of their older vessels to provide their customers always the new stuff. This opens up a secondary market for the older vessels. With the frequency of newbuilts on the rivers I always asked myself what´s happening with the older ships. "Older ships" does not mean their are worn out or not up to the state of art. Many people might think this and therefore prefare newbuilts. The Crystal Mozart was built in the 1980ies and is still successfully running in the luxury segment.

steamboats

Some of these ships are also the smaller ones, which tend to have less draft, and sail longer during periods of low water.  After this last season, that's going to play into my decision process.  Having been to a lot of these cities on prior cruises, I'm more inclined to forego the included tours.

Teeming is definitely on my radar.

Fuel-  Aren't you also on a Nicko cruise?  Interested in hearing about that as well.  The one sailing that includes the Neckar river looks interesting, and I'm sold on the Mosel after our Vantage trip in November.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

The Crystal Mozart was built in the 1980ies and is still successfully running in the luxury segment.

Crystal spent quite a bit of $$$$ on the Mozart and it looks amazing! I would sail on that ship again in a heart beat.

UralGuy, yes, we'll leave Teeming on a Saturday morning in Amsterdam and catch an 8:00 a.m. train to Saarbrucken where we'll boad the Nicko Casanova for our cruise from there to Stuttgartt along the Saar, Mosel, Rhine, and Neckar. I'll try to post from both cruises.

Coral, it was Umbria Lover whose daughter was signed up for a Teeming cruise. I haven't seen any follow up from Umbria Lover yet.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, FuelScience said:

Coral, it was Umbria Lover whose daughter was signed up for a Teeming cruise. I haven't seen any follow up from Umbria Lover yet.

Thanks - I knew someone had posted info. Glad you remembered who it was! Definitely a different model - though it can be very appealing depending on the type of traveler you are or for those who are repeating ports and want to do their own thing. 

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Crystal spent quite a bit of $$$$ on the Mozart and it looks amazing! I would sail on that ship again in a heart beat.

I know - that´s why I say it doesn´t matter how old the ship is as long as it´s well maintained and refurbished (on a regular basis). But anyway the mainstream cruise lines are getting rid of their older tonnage and build new ships.

BTW the Casanova is also a pretty old ship formerly used by long defunct Deilmann (as the Mozart - which was a Deilmann ship too). Nicko Cruises is an all German cruise line (owned by a Portugese family).

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

51 minutes ago, steamboats said:

I know - that´s why I say it doesn´t matter how old the ship is as long as it´s well maintained and refurbished (on a regular basis). But anyway the mainstream cruise lines are getting rid of their older tonnage and build new ships.

BTW the Casanova is also a pretty old ship formerly used by long defunct Deilmann (as the Mozart - which was a Deilmann ship too). Nicko Cruises is an all German cruise line (owned by a Portugese family).

steamboats

I completely agree. I prefer the older "cruise ships" also. Older and well maintained works for me.