Flight Ck-In & Gen.Questions

I've read where it's recommended to arrive 3 hours before you scheduled flight out of Melbourne back to the US.  On my Qantas booking, it says check in closes 1.5 hrs prior to the flight.  Should we plan on the 3 hours?

Thanks

Lee Ann

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I would plan on at least two hours ahead of departure time.

Thanks so much!

I have another question as well.  We plan on going to an AFL game.  

From what I can tell,  the AFL fans are as crazy & dedicated to their teams as we in the States are about our college football teams.  Here are our choices - Which would you suggest? 

Sunday March 31 afternoon: Hawthorne vs Western Bulldogs

April 5 night: Melbourne vs Essendon

April 6 night : Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs

April 7 afternoon: Hawthorne vs North Melbourne. 

Thanks again!

Lee Ann

April 6 is Collingwood versus the Mighty mighty West Coast Eagles

it is the rematch of the 2018 Grand Final. Expect a great game. 

I should be be at that one. Go Eagles. 

Edited by Docker123

I am biased to the Melbourne v Essendon game  - both teams are expected to do well this coming season and their fans are very vocal. I will be there with all my family, a mixed bunch of supporters of both teams. 

Whichever game you choose, enjoy it. If you have any questions about the game, team or venue just ask. Docker 123 or I can usually answer them.

Leigh

Thanks everyone!  If tickets aren't outrageous, we might just go to both of them.  Or go to the March 31 daytime game and one night game.  Maybe by the second game we might actually have an idea of what's going on 🤔!  I have a few youtube videos in my queue to watch - rules and  highlight reels.

An NFL ticket average cost is around $110.00 and premium for almost $400.  And that's for a regular season game.

When I checked last night tickets weren't on sale yet.  I do want to get reserved seats.  Can't imagine attending such a well attended event and not have them.  Any suggestions on which arena sections/seats would be better than others?  

On a totally other entertainment track - the International Comedy  Festival will be in full swing.  Any suggestions here?   We're up for any type of venue.  Large, small, cabaret, whatever.  

Did notice on Twitter this morning about the rally  going on in St. Kilda this weekend with the police advising folks to either stay away,  be present and protest peacefully, or break the law and be prepared to be arrested 😳.  The key to being anywhere these days is to be super aware of your surroundings - and always have an exit plan!  

t

Once again, thanks for taking time to answer questions and give suggestions.  

80 days til boarding time!!

Walk up tickets for the football are around $25 our money. Booked seats about more, not sure how much more.

The Comedy Festival is a great feature. Lots of local and international acts. Good place to see new talent. Similarly, venues vary from large theatres, to even performances on a tram in previous years.

Most venues are around the CBD, so easy access. Often performers trying to sell tickets to their shows outside the Town Hall. I should  have a look at the programme.

• Like 1

• CCHelp changed the title to Flight Ck-In & Gen.Questions

Lee Ann my suggestion is definitely the Collingwood game as Collingwood have a guy called Mason Cox playing who hails from Houston.  He played College Soccer for Oklahoma State.  He is one of the stars and when he is playing well the crowd chant USA, it really is something to see and hear.   His parents often travel over for big games, and as this is a replay of our GF I would anticipate a big crowd and the atmosphere will be fantastic.

cheers V

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kangakid said:

Lee Ann my suggestion is definitely the Collingwood game as Collingwood have a guy called Mason Cox playing who hails from Houston.  He played College Soccer for Oklahoma State.  He is one of the stars and when he is playing well the crowd chant USA, it really is something to see and hear.   His parents often travel over for big games, and as this is a replay of our GF I would anticipate a big crowd and the atmosphere will be fantastic.

cheers V

You've sold me on the Collingwood game.  Will be fun to see a "hometown kid" play.

Where are  the best places to sit in reserved seating? 

Edited by punkinlr
additional info/question

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Walk up tickets for the football are around $25 our money. Booked seats about more, not sure how much more.

The Comedy Festival is a great feature. Lots of local and international acts. Good place to see new talent. Similarly, venues vary from large theatres, to even performances on a tram in previous years.

Most venues are around the CBD, so easy access. Often performers trying to sell tickets to their shows outside the Town Hall. I should  have a look at the programme.

YAY!  We're staying at an airbnb on Brunswick,  Fitzroy North with a tram stop right on the corner - super easy access.

Lee Anne - Seating at the “G” is :

• M = ground level
  • N = Second level
  • P = Mezzanine between level one and 2
  • Q = third level 

Any of these areas provide good viewing, but Q level you can be seated too far up and back, so not ideal in my opinion.

Comedy festival always has last minutes tickets on the day for reduced prices.  So if you are not fussed about who you see you will get to see a good show for a great price.  

Cheers V

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, punkinlr said:

Did notice on Twitter this morning about the rally  going on in St. Kilda this weekend with the police advising folks to either stay away,  be present and protest peacefully, or break the law and be prepared to be arrested 😳.  The key to being anywhere these days is to be super aware of your surroundings - and always have an exit plan!  

Melbourne is the capital of rallies. At least 2 a week here - usually in the CBD and blocking tram lines, or at Fed Square. Really nothing to make an issue out of - just attention seekers and rent-a-crowd. Handy to follow PTV and Yarra Trams and @Melbourne  on twitter so you know straight away if they are blocking public transport. 

Re shows - Halftix office is located in Town Hall on the cnr of Swanston and Collins and they have all the spare tickets to any kind of show around Melb each day for that night - plus they usually have some for the next few days.

• Thanks 1

Tickets for AFL games at the MCG will go on sale in late February, early March if I remember correctly. Second level (N), in my opinion, on the wing (middle of the ground) has the best view but this is likely to be the most expensive option. I also don't mind the first 10 rows or so the top level as it does give you a great view of how the teams set up on the ground and it is quite easy to follow the ball. I don't particularly like the bottom level unless you are in the first 10-15 rows. But certainly the middle part of the ground is the best. Though to be honest, you will get a good view anywhere in the stadium. I would suggest bays 50-54 in the Olympic Stand or bays 10-15 in the Great Southern Stand or anywhere where you can get reserved seats! For both games I would recommend purchasing reserved games because of the expected attendances.

For which game to attend, my preference would still be for the Melbourne v Essendon game on the Friday (taking away my bias) because at the Collingwood v West Coast game it will be mainly Collingwood supporters whereas at the Friday game it will be a more even split of supporters so probably more noise and both teams do have very vocal supporters. Probably Frid game will have a bigger attendance as both are Victorian teams. 

Leigh

MCG-Seating-Map.png

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2019 at 11:54 PM, possum52 said:

Tickets for AFL games at the MCG will go on sale in late February, early March if I remember correctly. Second level (N), in my opinion, on the wing (middle of the ground) has the best view but this is likely to be the most expensive option. I also don't mind the first 10 rows or so the top level as it does give you a great view of how the teams set up on the ground and it is quite easy to follow the ball. I don't particularly like the bottom level unless you are in the first 10-15 rows. But certainly the middle part of the ground is the best. Though to be honest, you will get a good view anywhere in the stadium. I would suggest bays 50-54 in the Olympic Stand or bays 10-15 in the Great Southern Stand or anywhere where you can get reserved seats! For both games I would recommend purchasing reserved games because of the expected attendances.

For which game to attend, my preference would still be for the Melbourne v Essendon game on the Friday (taking away my bias) because at the Collingwood v West Coast game it will be mainly Collingwood supporters whereas at the Friday game it will be a more even split of supporters so probably more noise and both teams do have very vocal supporters. Probably Frid game will have a bigger attendance as both are Victorian teams. 

Leigh

MCG-Seating-Map.png

Leigh,

Thank you for sharing such great info.  Reserve seats are a must.  When we've gone to see professional baseball, we tend to sit higher for the very reason you mentioned.  The few times we've had seats right above the dugouts or box seats,  you get a great view of what's right in front of you, but you miss really seeing the whole game play out.  

I'll start checking for ticket sales in late February.  Perhaps because of the larger crowd on Friday night, I might opt for the Saturday night game.  My husband is a retired First Sargent - Army Infantry and has a thing about big crowds in somewhat confined spaces  He knows there will be a ton of people but is really excited about  going.  If there's beer involved, he'll be even better!

• 2 months later...

Hello all, 

Time to buy my tickets!  

It's still a quite a bit more complicated than purchasing tickets at most of our sporting venues - or it could just be that I'm used to choosing exact seats from a seating plan.

I'm looking at the sections you've suggested, but I'm not sure if I want "wing" or "goal"?  It seems like quite a few levels no longer have tickets available.   Again, my major goal is to have reserve seats since we'll be novices in such a large crowd.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions and guidance!

Lee Ann

I would recommend wing, and level 2 (or 3 at a pinch).

The playing field is getting towards 200 yards long, so from seats behind a goal it is a long way to see the other end.

Compare to the desirability of seats on the 50 yard line at an American football game.

Choosing a level 2 seat will give height for perspective on the game.

Edited by Docker123

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

I would recommend wing, and level 2 (or 3 at a pinch).

The playing field is getting towards 200 yards long, so from seats behind a goal it is a long way to see the other end.

Compare to the desirability of seats on the 50 yard line at an American football game.

Choosing a level 2 seat will give height for perspective on the game.

This is exactly the kind of info I need :classic_biggrin:.  

Sadly because of our travel dates, we are a bit limited in our choices.  The best seats so far for the dates we have available to attend a game

April 6th - I don't know whether the rows go from A-Z closer to the field or the opposite.  Z-A

Area: Olympic Stand
Category: Level 1 Wing
Section: M52
Row: Z
Seat/s: 15-16

Row A is closest to the fence. The bay slopes, so not blocked because of flat seating arrangement.

M52 is in what we call a pocket, or perhaps flank, in relation to player positions. Closer to te goal than the wing.

Not bad seats.

Edited by Docker123

44 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Row A is closest to the fence. The bay slopes, so not blocked because of flat seating arrangement.

M52 is in what we call a pocket, or perhaps flank, in relation to player positions. Closer to te goal than the wing.

Not bad seats.

Great - Tickets purchased !  

I did find another game that we could attend.  There aren't any reserve wing seats - allotment exhausted.

March 31  - afternoon game 3:20

Area: Ponsford Stand
Category: Level 2 Goal
Section: N30
Row: P
Seat/s: 1-2
Edited by punkinlr

Is there a better site than others where you have more of an opportunity to choose your seats?  On Ticketek it doesn't give you any options for reserve seats - they choose them for you.

Unfortunately Ticketek is the only authorised seller of AFL tickets. They have a contract to sell all tickets at the MCG. I really dislike using their website. My experience of buying reserved seats in the MCC Reserve for the ANZAC Day game between Essendon and Collingwood was so frustrating. Over the past year or so Ticketek have changed their website for the worse.

I would wait a few days and see what the options are if you haven't already purchased tickets. More seats may be made available.

Leigh