Glühewien

Second seating

Hoyaheel

LOL! Sailing the Danube last year - was introduced to Gluhwein at the Christmas markets. Was actually able to find it this past holiday season at a local big chain wine store in New Jersey. Did not open it yet - still waiting for the entire family to be home together to share !

38 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

But dangit now I want some.... 😉

No problem, take the cheapest red wine you can find, add tons of sugar and some orange juice plus spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves... and then throw it away! :classic_biggrin:

steamboats

33 minutes ago, robertmartha said:

Hoyaheel

LOL! Sailing the Danube last year - was introduced to Gluhwein at the Christmas markets. Was actually able to find it this past holiday season at a local big chain wine store in New Jersey. Did not open it yet - still waiting for the entire family to be home together to share !

They say here in Germany that bottled glühwein tends to be a bit on the sweet side and of lower quality. I hope you found a good one!

There are some recipes around if you decide to have a go at making it yourself. A German website recommends red wines that are medium to dry, low in tanins, not barrique-stored and have a fruity note. Good grapes it says are Dornfelder, Spätburgunder, Pinot Noir, Valpolicella, Merlot, Montepulciano, among others.

Of, course we still do not know what secondseating's question is, but we can have some fun with glühwein while we wait. 😃

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Spelling

Oh, I've definitely made it myself! And I agree that the bottled stuff is NOT to my taste 😉

Honestly I prefer hot cider to wine. I also really enjoyed the gluhbier I had in Bamberg (I think). Since I love sours, saisons & fruit beers, but prefer dry wines, the gluhbier ends up being more to my taste than gluhwein. But alas, more difficult to find....

Nothing better than Gluhwein on a cold winter's day! I was hooked after sampling several mugs worth at various Christmas markets in Austria and Germany.  A recipe I love includes a dry red wine, a bit of brandy, a little sugar, lemon slices, oranges slices, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves.  The citrus helps to cut the sweetness, and the brandy provides additional warmth! An added bonus is the aroma as the mixture is heating up...

I was try to post the best results I have had recreating with wines I can get in the states. This is similar to what I had in Austria years ago.

After years of trying this at Christmas Markets I have created something comparable to the best I have ever had in Austria!

White Gluhwein
½ orange, studded with 8 whole cloves
3 liters of white wine 2 bottles*
½ cup sugar
½ cup orange juice
½ lemon, sliced
4 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
8 whole allspice berries
3 cardamom pods, slightly crushed

Mix sugar with orange juice until the sugar is dissolved, add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour. Do not let boil!
Serve hot in warmed mugs.

* I had great success with Estancia Pinot Grigio and Ménage à Trois White Blend

Can be doubled; just cut the orange in half and stud with 16 cloves.

1 hour ago, Babcia7 said:

Nothing better than Gluhwein on a cold winter's day! 

Babcia - I second that "Nothing better than Gluhwein on a cold winters day at a market!"

Second Seating - thank you for the recipe using white wine! Was thinking of halving it though! :classic_tongue:

If we are lucky enough to be in Europe during the '19 holiday season - will definitely search out the white wine variety. 

8 hours ago, steamboats said:

No problem, take the cheapest red wine you can find, add tons of sugar and some orange juice plus spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves... and then throw it away! :classic_biggrin:

steamboats

I second that motion ! To me, that stuff is flat out nasty, I'll take a draft beer anywhere in Europe over that concoction. Of course, you have to try it yourself for the first time..... 🙂