Trip Report: 12-night Holiday Cruise in the Caribbean on the SILHOUETTE (2018)

SleepingUgly

Day 6 – Dominica (cont.)

We went back to our cabins and woke the girls up for breakfast around 10 am.  They got dressed as slowly as possible - were they actually moving backwards, maybe? - and then went to the buffet to grab something to eat, while dh and I got all our stuff ready for our excursion that day.  So, in other words - the kids slept in late and then got to go get something to eat while their parents woke up early, spent money to book another cruise, and then did all the work in preparation for that day's activities.  Is that what it sounded like to you?  OK, just wanted to make sure.  #iamanidiot

I had booked our excursion that day through Celebrity – the Eco-Village, Hibiscus Valley and Waterfall tour.  It sounded rather interesting and I thought it would be a good opportunity to see a bit of the island without having to do a boring bus tour.  We had been to Dominica before on our previous cruise, back in 2007, and did the island tour then anyway.

I also decided on a ship excursion, instead of booking on my own, because we were in port for a limited time, from 11 am to 7 pm.  Most independent river-tubing adventures start around noon or 12.30 pm, and last around 5 hours.  I didn’t want to cut it too close to departure time with an independent tour (you ain't never catching me on that Pier Runners R Us channel on YouTube), so decided to book through Celebrity instead.  I was able to purchase the excursions during a sale last summer, so I think we got around a 15-percent discount for each person.  We paid $69 per adult and $39 for our youngest, with the discount.  Our excursion was scheduled for four hours, from noon to 4.30 pm. 

We were close to Dominica well before 10 am.

IMG_0570.thumb.PNG.8405e16cfc26e5685a5c60163097cd42.PNG

By 10.30 am or so, we were pulling into the port.

IMG_0825.thumb.JPG.87ce73bc7d519154ffd7a0ab2ea8f315.JPGIMG_0826.thumb.JPG.40b3cd1cd3de504736186805106eed6b.JPG

At 11.45 am, we went to the Celebrity Theatre, our meeting point for the excursion.  There, we turned in our tickets (which had been in our rooms since the very first day), and were all given a sticker with the number “29” on it.  We were told to wear the sticker in a conspicuous place on our shirts so we could be easily identified as to which group we belonged.  Our group had already left the theater so we were told to disembark and join them on the pier.

Of course, with the theater being in the back (aft) of the ship, and the gangway being up front, we got lost.  We thought we could just use the stairs by the theater to head down to Deck 2, but that took us to a dead end, with only the staff / crew hallway available.  A very nice crew member pointed us in the right direction and we were off!

As usual, we had to get our pictures taken by the ship’s photographers as we left the ship..

SI12181221-8404723.thumb.jpg.3ac9752ed4ffeaf5df8ffb9540a16d78.jpgSI12181221-8404881.thumb.jpg.c82af0ea75d05c948383da0bde8b5d41.jpgSI12181221-8405200.thumb.jpg.91022f70c73cfde2e67848a471f26d10.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SleepingUgly said:

Day 6 – Dominica (cont.)

At 9 in the morning, there was no one else interested in booking a future cruise, so we were able to sit down and speak with someone right away.  The cruise I was interested in was the 12-night holiday sailing on the Reflection in 2020, visiting the western Caribbean, Colombia and Central America.  I thought that was an interesting itinerary, and the dates worked out for us – departing much closer to Christmas on December 23 and returning on January 4.  That would be the first year we’d have both of the older girls in college (one would be a senior and the other would be a freshman), and I was pretty sure they’d both be done with finals and home by December 22, which is when we would fly down to Ft. Lauderdale, one day prior to the start of the cruise.  And it was a 12-night cruise again.  We were loving this longer cruise as we felt that, after having been on the ship already for six nights, if we had to pack up and leave after just one more night, that would be way too short of a sailing for us.

I asked what the perks were for booking onboard.  Since we wanted connecting concierge aft cabins again, we would get $200 in OBC per cabin for booking while on the ship, and also be able to put down just $100 deposit per person, which would be completely refundable until September 24, 2020.  The rate for the third or fourth guest in a cabin was also discounted a bit further.  The agent looked up to see what cabins were available and – what luck – the two connecting aft cabins smack dab in the middle of Deck 10 were available.  One of them has the widest balcony among all aft cabins (besides the Sky Suites, of course), so that will be great.  On the Silhouette, we had one balcony that was regulation-sized, while the other was slightly bigger.  By opening up the divider in between these two cabins made our entire balcony much more expansive and we had so much more room to move around.  With one of the balconies being even bigger on the Reflection, that meant our overall balcony space on that sailing will be even more than what we have on the Silhouette!  Sign us up!

We were also able to pick two perks for each cabin.  We selected the $300 OBC and classic drink package for each cabin.  The reservation was supposed to have been transferred automatically to my travel agent, but I still had to contact my TA when I got home.  I emailed her about it, and she sent me a new invoice a couple of days later, pretty much doubling the OBC and also paying gratuities for all five of us.  It really does pay to book onboard and then transfer to a TA, in my opinion.

So, as of today, here is my countdown for our next Celebrity cruise.  I didn’t know numbers could get that high.

IMG_2221.thumb.PNG.3ce8ceecce6511057637daa1d53eb903.PNG

Why not do the go best and get all 4 perks including the premium drink package?

Day 6 – Dominica (cont.)

We walked to the end of the pier and stood around for a while, not knowing what to do.  A couple of official tour-company people holding up a sign with "29" written on it glared at us, saw the number on our stickers, and checked something off on a clipboard.  Maybe they were marking how many people had shown up for the tour, maybe they were trying to figure out how to fit us all into all the vans, maybe they were checking off what toppings they wanted on their pizza for lunch.  Who knows what they were doing; whatever it was, they didn’t look happy doing it.  So it must not have been the pizza because, seriously, who doesn't get excited about pizza?

IMG_0571.thumb.JPG.18de5553444630582bcf899a81955803.JPG

After a short while, we were directed by Jolly and Happy to follow someone to a 10-person van. We walked into the streets and past traffic, got to the van, climbed in and were off.  Just the act of walking on a busy street, next to moving cars, was thrilling enough for the little one.  That’s it – we can go home now!  Who knew I could have just taken her down to M Street in Georgetown and threw her into the middle of the road to make her so happy.  Anyway, there were two couples in the van with us.  Very nice folks and I think the husbands found out they actually work for the same company, but in different locations.  Funny how these things happen sometime.

IMG_0572.thumb.JPG.4b3d77b6e0df67b931af3e058494fa6b.JPGIMG_0573.thumb.JPG.ee9d615a196f7ee6df06ee476a4d94da.JPG

We drove through Roseau for a bit, maybe about 10 minutes or so.  The driver talked a lot about the island and its history and culture, but I was sitting in the back so couldn't really hear much of anything. 

IMG_0575.thumb.JPG.98b91c0c99b7b729703f39b682faf0a4.JPGIMG_0576.thumb.JPG.83e7810321c01a73ced7f44e46149858.JPGIMG_0578.thumb.JPG.f91fd1025c871b79e9d7a3ab3e73a726.JPGIMG_0580.thumb.JPG.4f680ba454a7cceb99814c67e94b9ffc.JPG

Once we left the city, we headed into the mountains.  At this point, the road became extremely curvy, turny, loopy, windy … and mountainous.  I’d say that, for the next 40-45 minutes, we were on the twistiest of twisty roads, going up one side of the mountain and then coming down the other side.  The scenery was beautiful, but I was getting a bit concerned about the little one as she had neglected to take her children’s Dramimine that morning, and the roads were incredibly hilly and curvy.  She ended up resting on her sister’s lap for most of the ride, which was a blessing for everyone in that van, believe me.

IMG_0588.thumb.JPG.532bf55000df4fb82afd5f83c02831ee.JPGIMG_0841.thumb.JPG.c2dd7d3b05861195a5a0f6090d85b2c3.JPGIMG_0594.thumb.JPG.1a065468543fa774f386132cd3abb00c.JPGIMG_0595.thumb.JPG.1ffd75d3a3fccecab4276a0364786446.JPGIMG_0596.thumb.JPG.98fcf79702c50cf552d3dc4dba741454.JPG

We arrived at the waterfall probably a little after 1 pm.  There was a total of about six vans for our group, so maybe around 60 people on this excursion.  I didn’t think that was too bad for a ship excursion as I know they can be packed sometime.

IMG_0845.thumb.JPG.77bcc9bedd5adf570ac45c501810b32d.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimkathyd1 said:

Why not do the go best and get all 4 perks including the premium drink package?

Hi - I think I had priced out this option for the Silhouette cruise and it came out to be much more if we had upgraded our drinks package to premium on our own and purchased WiFi for three devices during a sale.  Our TA threw in prepaid gratuities as well, so that is a perk we wouldn't have needed, but maybe if we go with the Go Best package, they'll throw in something else?  Hmmm ... something to think about.

4 hours ago, SleepingUgly said:

I had booked our excursion that day through Celebrity – the Eco-Village, Hibiscus Valley and Waterfall tour.  It sounded rather interesting and I thought it would be a good opportunity to see a bit of the island without having to do a boring bus tour.  We had been to Dominica before on our previous cruise, back in 2007, and did the island tour then anyway.

Linda

It sounds like you spent a lot of the day on the bus - exactly what you didn't want.

Is that accurate?

We've been to Dominica several times and have always toured with Levi Bumping.

I emailed him recently and he said my favorite part of his tour - the hot pool in the rainforest - had been destroyed by Hurricane Maria.

😢

BTW -Your girls are adorable .  They look like really good sports and seem to be up for anything.

Day 6 – Dominica (cont.)

To get to the waterfall, you have to walk down about 50-60 steep, rocky, uneven steps, and even climb over some rocks, surrounded by lots of lush vegetation and tall trees.  I didn’t think the stairs were too bad and even our little one made it down with no problem, but still – take care as they may be more challenging to navigate if they are wet.

IMG_0846.thumb.JPG.f583ad479cfb3a205102f1903ef5dacd.JPGIMG_0847.thumb.JPG.0d0a10a5c5cbb9afd61be5d10815bec9.JPGPC270833.thumb.JPG.7e8b2f81d01a671d2918990bfe67b4b9.JPG 

Once you reach the bottom of the stairs – hopefully, by walking upright and not by tumbling down those rocky steps and knocking people over like they’re bowling pins in your way – you could take a dip in the pool (if you didn’t roll right in from your Benny Hill-esque fall down the stairs), go swim / stand under the waterfall, or just stay dry and be your family’s photographer as they frolic about in the water.  And then giggle as you picture your husband “frolicking” anywhere.

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.596c32b6a81d5b6a2db293bee05508ef.JPG 

Our oldest decided to get into the pool and to the waterfall.  Dh got in a bit as well. The little one wanted to go all the way over to the waterfall as well, but being the panicky / helicopter / manic / horrible mom that I am, I wouldn’t let her, so she stayed close to “shore” and just waded in the water for a bit.  As you can see from the pictures, lots of people ventured into the pool and had a great time doing so. 

PC270841.thumb.JPG.c468a00cd36d03f5428e5572312baaca.JPG

PC270851.thumb.JPG.21fbf5304930737038329f96d2ae5af6.JPGPC270859.thumb.JPG.8beafbc8820138e2d58e976fa85e2133.JPG

IMG_0897.thumb.JPG.a9e666c5b33a5631d756efa35fff1948.JPG

Our 16-year-old was smart and decided to stay dry.  She has a history of falling in water wherever she goes - which has become a running joke in our family, only because the only thing ever injured is her pride - so she chose to stay out, just in case fate was going to play another trick on her.

PC270848.thumb.JPG.97f8a6e64a31ad5c6724542283416947.JPG

We stayed here for maybe around 20-25 minutes.  It was a lot longer stop than I expected it to be, which was nice.  I hate getting some place, snapping a few pictures and then rushing out (kind of like Chevy Chase did at the Grand Canyon in “Vacation” but, then again, he had just stolen a wad of cash from the hotel nearby so I guess his sense of urgency is a bit more understandable).  It was nice to be able to enjoy this spot for a bit and for people to spend a good amount of time in the water.

PC270874.thumb.JPG.be377f3605650d173f93028295095f60.JPG

IMG_0901.thumb.JPG.3a2330d3420e3170d608b3916309f5ec.JPGPC270887.thumb.JPG.7a0be948745b7500bdc96ba1a2482f2a.JPGPC270892.thumb.JPG.6211a3bfc7efc892f9bf724e5e79f529.JPG

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, chamima said:

Linda

It sounds like you spent a lot of the day on the bus - exactly what you didn't want.

Is that accurate?

We've been to Dominica several times and have always toured with Levi Bumping.

I emailed him recently and he said my favorite part of his tour - the hot pool in the rainforest - had been destroyed by Hurricane Maria.

😢

BTW -Your girls are adorable .  They look like really good sports and seem to be up for anything.

We did, Karen.  About one hour to the waterfall, then another 20 minutes to the river-tubing site, and then more than one hour to get back to the ship.  I had read about Levi Bumping's tours but we had tons of OBC to use on the ship, and I figured this was a good option for us.  It wasn't too bad and we all agreed it was a fun day.  And definitely not too long, so that made my (idiot) husband happy. 😉

Thanks for the comments about the girls!  They are used to traveling and we love to explore new sights wherever we go.  In my opinion, if I raise my children to always have that love of travel and being open to meeting new people and learning about other cultures, then I've done a pretty passable job as a parent.

Linda

• Like 3

'if I raise my children to always have that love of travel and being open to meeting new people and learning about other cultures, then I've done a pretty passable job as a parent.'

This is so true, Linda.  You've done a marvelous job instilling a sense of adventure and open-mindedness in your children and you should be very proud!  With travel comes understanding and with understanding comes fellowship and care for others. 

Really enjoying your review!  

I'm interested to see how your tubing adventure is.  We were scheduled to visit last fall but lost the visit here along with St. Croix and St. Martin to Maria.  My poor guide lost two of his workers and had to relocate to St. Lucia.  What a tragic situation that was to all of those islanders.

We have toured with Levi, too.  What a great guide he is! 

Linda - congrats on booking your 2020 cruise.  My wife and I did a similar itinerary on MSC in 2014 for our 25th wedding anniversary, and it was awesome.  We were looking at this cruise (if it is the one I am thinking of) as well, but my SIL, who will be traveling with us, wasn't as keen on South/Central America as we were (rats!).  I believe one of the port stops is Puerto Limon, Costa Rica?  We are still friends with our private tour guide from our 2014 cruise, and enjoyed hosting him when he was passing through our home in Phoenix, AZ a couple years ago.  Check out Jorge Luis Ramierez at PortLimon.com.  Gave us an amazing tour of the Tortoguero Canal, Dole banana plantation, and other sightseeing. He was amazing.

13 hours ago, effinaround said:

'if I raise my children to always have that love of travel and being open to meeting new people and learning about other cultures, then I've done a pretty passable job as a parent.'

This is so true, Linda.  You've done a marvelous job instilling a sense of adventure and open-mindedness in your children and you should be very proud!  With travel comes understanding and with understanding comes fellowship and care for others. 

Really enjoying your review!  

Thank you!   Now, if I can only make them clean their rooms TO MY STANDARDS and maybe load their dishes in the dishwasher WITHOUT BEING PROMPTED / REMINDED / YELLED AT, I will have done an even better job. 🙂

Linda

12 hours ago, Sheal said:

I'm interested to see how your tubing adventure is.  We were scheduled to visit last fall but lost the visit here along with St. Croix and St. Martin to Maria.  My poor guide lost two of his workers and had to relocate to St. Lucia.  What a tragic situation that was to all of those islanders.

We have toured with Levi, too.  What a great guide he is! 

I'm starting to think we should have booked with Levi ...

9 hours ago, DENIE said:

Linda - congrats on booking your 2020 cruise.  My wife and I did a similar itinerary on MSC in 2014 for our 25th wedding anniversary, and it was awesome.  We were looking at this cruise (if it is the one I am thinking of) as well, but my SIL, who will be traveling with us, wasn't as keen on South/Central America as we were (rats!).  I believe one of the port stops is Puerto Limon, Costa Rica?  We are still friends with our private tour guide from our 2014 cruise, and enjoyed hosting him when he was passing through our home in Phoenix, AZ a couple years ago.  Check out Jorge Luis Ramierez at PortLimon.com.  Gave us an amazing tour of the Tortoguero Canal, Dole banana plantation, and other sightseeing. He was amazing.

Wow, thanks for the referral to Mr. Ramierez!  I will have to save his name and website and contact him as our sailing date gets closer.  What did you think of MSC?  Also, how did you like the Central America itinerary?  I've been reading that not a lot of people enjoy those ports, which I find surprising, so would be interested in your thoughts.  I thought the destinations were quite interesting and may offer us some unique opportunities for excursions - especially those that may be more historical and cultural - but maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe you can talk your SIL into changing her mind? 🙂 

Linda

• Thanks 1

Day 6 – Dominica (cont.)

After the stop at the waterfall, we got back in the van and drove another 20 minutes or so to Hibiscus Falls Eco-Village.  Now the Celebrity description of this excursion included talk about how you can “see the last remaining Carib Indian Territory” at the Eco-Village.  I thought this meant there may be some sort of museum or cultural exhibit about the Carib Indians.  Well, silly me.  Why did I think the excursion description would be accurate?  I don’t think the word “Carib” was mentioned anytime on this excursion, with the exception as a reference to the beer.  Well, we tried.

IMG_0908.thumb.JPG.1bc5443da213d3484fa02851b0ec1aec.JPG

Anyway, we got to the entrance of where the river-tubing adventure would start.  A very fun group of young men were there to greet us.  They told us that we would be traversing approximately 1.5 miles, in about 1.5 hours.  Hmmm … snail speed, divided by two.  This wasn’t the “active” activity that I had thought we’d be enjoying for the day.  But, hey – we get to wear these snazzy helmets and life jackets and plop ourselves in big, circular, inflatable tubes and float serenely down a river, surrounded by beautiful scenery.  Active, schmactive.  I’ll take this anyday.

We spent a few minutes getting suited up, putting on helmets and life jackets.  You also had the chance to use the bathroom here, if you'd like (if you hadn't gone the au natural way in the waterfall pool).  One of the young men then gave us very brief instructions on what to do.  It ain’t rocket science, folks – you basically sit in a floatie and wind your way downstream.  We then got in line to enter the river.  You have to navigate about 4-5 rocky steps leading into the water, but once in, you literally just sit back and relax.

PC270893.thumb.JPG.7ad7d6387dfd3806e16efa03e933683d.JPGPC270896.thumb.JPG.6d0fa55a7e00c613e21225a2ae689d8a.JPGPC270898.thumb.JPG.8d979d44617dc8c47ef2395ac2652177.JPGPC270899.thumb.JPG.da7231a3e5b87f5ea25613213178a8ee.JPGPC270900.thumb.JPG.d5a055f0f9564cde663b1c14c0272d36.JPGPC270901.thumb.JPG.f397aa2f1edf3054d7fbdc24563c7838.JPGPC270902.thumb.JPG.acab5d6a2bf39f2d89a07b809ee245cc.JPGPC270903.thumb.JPG.459e011ae6f55b37a43b9d4d9c654eed.JPG 

• Like 1

Ahhh can't beat tubing for some relaxing time.  If you ever get to Belize ,you have to try the cave tubing , so cool we have done it twice.

Your little one has such a beautiful smile, very contagious.

Wonderful pictures your taking.

Linda,

You are such a gifted story teller!  I can't tell you how much I (and apparently many others) have been enjoying your review.  It has been informative, engaging, and totally entertaining.

I can't believe you walked out of your car accident without any broken bones, you are one amazingly fortunate chick!  And thank goodness for that or else we wouldn't have this wonderful trip report to enjoy.

Can't wait for your later installments.  And happy to read you booked another cruise (and yes, you just HAVE to do another report) so something to look forward to later.  I was going to suggest you nudge your hubby for another cruise but you beat me to it.

You have a beautiful family, your girls are lovely but I have to admit, I am smitten by your youngest....she is so, so cute and if I were to ever sail with you, I would have a seriously hard time saying 'no' to that face.  Endless supply of candy?  Sure! :)

• Like 1

Day 6 – Dominica (cont.)

PC270904.thumb.JPG.1d3d9fe938e010bcb4ddd68fb7c3802e.JPGPC270910.thumb.JPG.d6a28d73928c3a0d8a77bb1a40d2c281.JPGPC270911.thumb.JPG.1157042c9f2c2130a31b65176c0ac175.JPGPC270912.thumb.JPG.edbaf8fb0d5539ca0414e0d1535999b5.JPG

PC270929.thumb.JPG.013b980424f7ba1ca07d46eb97c3b78f.JPG 

The trip down the river was extremely relaxing, and quite a lot of fun!  I was a bit concerned at first when I saw how many people were on the tour, but it actually worked out well that we had a large group as there were plenty of people to help you out (or laugh with you … or at you) when you got stuck.  It was a very friendly group, and we had some fun conversations with many folks.  Because the current was so unpredictable, you are easily separated from those in your group, and then you’ll meet up again later on, only to be separated again.  But no biggie.  It was still a lovely afternoon spent with strangers, who all came together to make sure everyone made it downstream with no problem, all while having a lot of fun in the process.  ARE YOU READING THIS, PRESIDENT TRUMP, REP. PELOSI AND SEN. SCHUMER???  Yes, there is such a thing called TEAMWORK.  Oops, sorry.  That was the DC in me coming out.  My bad.

PC270931.thumb.JPG.9c40c4d9c96d1a8a3bc8b0cb9f9e565b.JPG

PC270913.thumb.JPG.211f36f9041cb3538c987b03807607e2.JPGPC270922.thumb.JPG.f8ad9ac8a7342899f07f13780e8950b2.JPG

PC270925.thumb.JPG.cd1324876fc87792503417fde7b2d751.JPG 

The young men who were our guides were extremely helpful and friendly.  They even tried to make things more exciting by jumping into the water, smack dab in the middle of a bunch of tubers. 

PC270937.thumb.JPG.e3be50eb0f120d49322d9f0ba80dd226.JPGPC270938.thumb.JPG.b2a596f8cff19b7ce41069256aebf0c8.JPG

I would venture to say that the one who enjoyed the afternoon the most was our youngest one.  So, basically, in river tubing, you don't need to do much work at all because the current of the water is supposed to carry you most of the way, especially around the rapids.  Don’t worry, they’re nothing like the rapids in Bird Box and we weren’t all blindfolded and being chased by a menacing, unseen evil force … although that would probably be a pretty popular excursion option, no?

Anyway, at times, you also had to form a “chain” by grabbing onto other tubes so that you formed a line, and this made it easier for the guides to drag us through areas where the current wasn’t that strong.  Or maybe we weren’t moving along so easily because we were all a bunch of fat, lazy vacationers who’ve stuffed our faces with cruise food for the past week.  Either one works; take your pick.

Anyway, our youngest was pretty involved in the whole process for the first 20 minutes or so.  After that, the bandage on her toe proved to be much more interesting, so she pulled that off and spent the rest of the time examining a two-day old Paw Patrol bandage and singing and humming to herself.  If she got stuck?  No worries, someone will drag her out.  When we had to form a chain?  Who cares, people will grab her tube and pull her along with everyone else.  Really, the Queen of England does not get better service than this.  Many thanks to everyone who helped her out!  I think people got to know her pretty well.  Sometimes, when my oldest or I would call out for her, someone invariably responded right away, “She’s right here!  She’s fine!”  And she was probably thinking, "Quit yer yapping and let me have some peace ... just do your job and drag me along already."

PC270942.thumb.JPG.7acf94b24a57d485cfa15dbbf8ac68f7.JPGPC270973.thumb.JPG.09a6c5dcfe65af7d466ffb20a31a6085.JPG

Edited by SleepingUgly
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Decpl said:

Ahhh can't beat tubing for some relaxing time.  If you ever get to Belize ,you have to try the cave tubing , so cool we have done it twice.

Your little one has such a beautiful smile, very contagious.

Wonderful pictures your taking.

I will have to keep that in mind for Belize, thank you!  I don't think we are going there for our 2020 cruise, but that certainly does sound like something we would all love to try!  And thanks so much for the lovely comments re: my little one.  She is a firecracker, that one, that's for sure!

Linda

1 hour ago, cruzers j&n said:

Linda,

You are such a gifted story teller!  I can't tell you how much I (and apparently many others) have been enjoying your review.  It has been informative, engaging, and totally entertaining.

I can't believe you walked out of your car accident without any broken bones, you are one amazingly fortunate chick!  And thank goodness for that or else we wouldn't have this wonderful trip report to enjoy.

Can't wait for your later installments.  And happy to read you booked another cruise (and yes, you just HAVE to do another report) so something to look forward to later.  I was going to suggest you nudge your hubby for another cruise but you beat me to it.

You have a beautiful family, your girls are lovely but I have to admit, I am smitten by your youngest....she is so, so cute and if I were to ever sail with you, I would have a seriously hard time saying 'no' to that face.  Endless supply of candy?  Sure! 🙂

Thank you for your incredibly nice and thoughtful comments!  I am indeed fortunate to have not had worse injuries from my accident, and I am even luckier that the doctors cleared me to go on vacation.  And to drink alcohol.  That was a very important question I had to ask them, haha.

Shhh ... don't let the little one hear all these compliments about her.  That head of hers is big enough.  Thank you so much for your compliments, though!  I do have a hard time saying no to her, especially when she asks for stuffed animals.  And even though my husband shakes his head at that, he invariably relents as well.  We are just two big suckers, apparently.

Linda

10 hours ago, SleepingUgly said:

Wow, thanks for the referral to Mr. Ramierez!  I will have to save his name and website and contact him as our sailing date gets closer.  What did you think of MSC?  Also, how did you like the Central America itinerary?  I've been reading that not a lot of people enjoy those ports, which I find surprising, so would be interested in your thoughts.  I thought the destinations were quite interesting and may offer us some unique opportunities for excursions - especially those that may be more historical and cultural - but maybe I'm wrong? 

Linda - you bet, happy to provide that, and to help our friend Jorge (we chat with him on Facebook fairly often).  That is his photo on the Puerto Limon website.

We loved MSC, though Americans were the minority - which we did not mind.  Met so many folks from Germany, Italy, England, France.  The food was a tad more "European" in preparation and tastes, but that was no concern for us.  The staff was awesome, and the MSC Divina was incredibly gorgeous and new at that time.  This was her first year or so, as MSC was test marketing the US, and now they have two more ships based in Miami.

Our port stops were Falmouth, Jamaica (not our favorite, but "ok"), then on to Cartagena, Colon (Panama), Puerto Limon, Costa Rica; and Cozumel, MX.  Cartagena was amazing (but you will see poverty).  The old walled city was gorgeous, and had a couple cathedrals from the 1400's that show the European influence.  There is also a large fort that you can tour (we did not have a chance.  La Popa Monastary on top of the hill offers the best view of the city! 

Colon was significant only in that it is the eastern (actually "northern") entrance to the Panama Canal.  Colon itself is a slum, but we found a tour that took us from the ship to Gatun Lake to board a small ferry, then went through the 2 Pacific Locks, into the Pacific Ocean, then took a bus from Panama City back to Colon (I would look for a tour like this!).  Then in Costa Rica, we had the fabulous tour from our friend Jorge.  We saw MANY sloths up close, howler monkeys, birds, etc.  Finally Cozumel (don't think your cruise stops there, but it was fun - Mayan ruins.  This cruise is NOT a "beach day" kind of cruise, but you are right....LOTS of history!  We would do in a heartbeat again.  Perhaps we will convince SIL to do this one....

Don't hesitate to ask further questions....sorry to get "off topic" from your wonderful review and post!  🙂

Dale

Day 6 – Dominica (cont.)

OK, let’s finish up with this excursion, shall we?  I complained that the river tubing went so slowly and now this trip report has slowed to the speed of molasses in winter.  For those of you still with me and awake, I thank you.

Some more pictures of our river tubing expedition that day …

PC270927.thumb.JPG.f48aaa905de2d14dd23cb5076b9362b2.JPGPC270948.thumb.JPG.9187f5874e32a5322a6fe9e9145f0847.JPGPC270956.thumb.JPG.7907ae449e01b8e41bc033dc6ea1c913.JPGPC270963.thumb.JPG.adfbc8201c3d7e85690693a78cb09f01.JPG

Once we got to the end, we all had to grab onto a rope that was tied across the river and use that to steer us towards shore, where the young men were waiting to grab our tubes for us and to help us onshore.  You have to climb out of your tube and wade in the water a bit – don’t worry, it’s super shallow; in fact, I think the entire way, the river was no more than a couple of feet deep – and then climb up a small hill to get back to civilization.

Once onshore, there was a food truck-sort of thing, where a couple of ladies were making fresh, hot chicken sandwiches and selling them for $5 each.  We bought two to share as the kids were starving but we should have bought more.  They were super delicious!  Sodas and beer were being sold at $3 each, and the young men set up a stand to sell rum punch for $5 per cup. 

IMG_0904.thumb.JPG.224aa38936b3ca7bc4b2ce47ec46a502.JPGPC270977.thumb.JPG.c659e7bf41c6878c813a256bf35759eb.JPGPC270980.thumb.JPG.b17a0f6d6263f3ffe5b77a5f98d4003c.JPG

We stood around, eating and drinking, for around 15 minutes or so, and then got back in the van for the long ride back to the port.  We took off around 4 pm and got back to the pier a little after 5 pm.  I think we all pretty much fell asleep in the van.

At the pier, there were a bunch of stands and kiosks set up by local women, selling knick knacks and souvenirs.  We walked around and bought a few things, and then headed back onto the ship.  Thank goodness it is a very short pier here so the walk back was not bad at all.  It was around 5.30 pm by now, and a beautiful rainbow appeared to bid us farewell from Dominica.

PC270983.thumb.JPG.2fd0e07f74481f32a3285beb7b977c39.JPG

IMG_0941.thumb.JPG.15b634a52ba7f14a0dcbb699d7989ca2.JPG

IMG_0605.thumb.JPG.19e46b89584447323944a7fe478ed355.JPGIMG_0612.thumb.JPG.2cda556d89b2055e103fa01edbdbbbc7.JPG

IMG_0609.thumb.JPG.33ed40256d60d5a6bf40de4d7026bfad.JPG

IMG_0949.thumb.JPG.8e21f7e7782bd95ff109fb114384c83f.JPG

IMG_0947.thumb.JPG.fc7b2208f15c8905ba5d0b5854b63ffe.JPG

• Like 1