Seattle scooter rental

laginog

Hello!   

We are going on a cruise to Alaska in July from Seattle .  Our group needs 3 mobility scooters.  I have checked around & the places that I’ve spoken with will only deliver to & pick up from hotels.... or into our cruise cabins.  We need scooters to board & disembark the ship also.   Has anyone else dealt with this?   Any suggestions or ideas please?

Thank you!

Hello!  You will have a wonderful time in Alaska.  My husband used a scooter for 15 years to travel everywhere.  We mostly went on cruises.  We bought Pride Go Go scooters.  I could take the scooter apart and put the three parts in our car trunk.  He used the scooter to get on and off the ship in ports and ride all around the ship.  We also flew with the scooter everywhere.  The airlines will not charge you to take the scooter.  You can buy one instead of renting.  I suppose it depends on whether you need a bigger model than the Pride Go Go.  Good luck and have a great time.

On 1/7/2019 at 3:25 PM, laginog said:

Hello!   

We are going on a cruise to Alaska in July from Seattle .  Our group needs 3 mobility scooters.  I have checked around & the places that I’ve spoken with will only deliver to & pick up from hotels.... or into our cruise cabins.  We need scooters to board & disembark the ship also.   Has anyone else dealt with this?   Any suggestions or ideas please?

Thank you!

I am planning the exact same cruise for a client and have found what you are looking for at www.scootaround.com They will (and do) deliver to ships at the port of Seattle.  FWIW, I am using them for a scooter rental for a cruise embarking in New Orleans also.

Good evening, 

My DH uses a scooter for mobility and we've done over a dozen Alaska cruises out of Seattle mostly with Holland America. We go with Scootaround and have the scooter delivered to the cabin. We drive to the port so we park, take the shuttle, and at the port the shuttle driver gets a porter for me and we get the port personnel with the wheelchairs to pick up DH. Our TA has put him down for wheelchair service on and off the ship. The "pusher" takes us all the way to the check-in area, through check-in, and then we are seated in a waiting area. As soon as boarding is close the ship sends off stewards (dining ones usually) with wheelchairs and DH is put in a wheelchair, wheelchaired on and we are taken to the cabin (this is on HAL). The scooter is waiting. 

On disembarkation day I have pre-arranged for the process in reverse. We take the scooter to the waiting area on the ship, he is put in a wheelchair and the "pushers" take us to the luggage area. From there we are seated and passed off to shore personnel who help me get a porter, go through customs (super easy) and they stay with us all the way to the shuttle. 

For all this I keep $5.00 bills for the stewards. I've been told, many times, that the port personnel don't accept tips but I'd like that confirmed. 

Karen

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2019 at 7:16 PM, luvteaching said:

Good evening, 

My DH uses a scooter for mobility and we've done over a dozen Alaska cruises out of Seattle mostly with Holland America. We go with Scootaround and have the scooter delivered to the cabin. We drive to the port so we park, take the shuttle, and at the port the shuttle driver gets a porter for me and we get the port personnel with the wheelchairs to pick up DH. Our TA has put him down for wheelchair service on and off the ship. The "pusher" takes us all the way to the check-in area, through check-in, and then we are seated in a waiting area. As soon as boarding is close the ship sends off stewards (dining ones usually) with wheelchairs and DH is put in a wheelchair, wheelchaired on and we are taken to the cabin (this is on HAL). The scooter is waiting. 

On disembarkation day I have pre-arranged for the process in reverse. We take the scooter to the waiting area on the ship, he is put in a wheelchair and the "pushers" take us to the luggage area. From there we are seated and passed off to shore personnel who help me get a porter, go through customs (super easy) and they stay with us all the way to the shuttle. 

For all this I keep $5.00 bills for the stewards. I've been told, many times, that the port personnel don't accept tips but I'd like that confirmed. 

Karen

You are correct that the Seattle shore staff that transport passengers in wheelchairs are instructed not to accept tips.

If you use the services of a porter to take your bags from the luggage hall to whatever ground transportation you have arranged, it would be okay to tip that individual.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is an answer for Seattle Pier 91 cruisers only.  We cruise Alaska twice a summer with our own scooters but that only means that I'm clued into noticing them.  I can tell you that 100 feet from the entrance to the embarkation building (which is called Pier 91) there has always been a covered tent (staffed by an employee) that has scooters inside it.  I'm sorry that I haven't paid more attention, but check with Specialneedsatsea or Scootaround to see if you can rent onsite at Pier 91 (I would certainly recommend a reservation).  I have thought (as I passed by it) that I should definitely stop in to see what the deal is, and now I regret not doing it.  But it sure looks as if it's meant for the cruiser who gets out of her car, looks up at the size of the ship,  and says "No way I can navigate that much walking!  Why, here's just what I need!  A rental scooter!"  Sorry that this is all conjecture, but that's sure what it looks like at Pier 91. Another thought might be to call Port of Seattle and get someone who KNOWS about the cruise terminal and ask them about it.  If it's what I think it is, it's an amazing marketing tool and a huge convenience for Seattle cruisers.

You are correct that at Pier 91 there is tent that folks who have rented a scooter (or a wheelchair) can pick up their reserved scooter or wheelchair.  If you rent a scooter or wheelchair you can also make prior arrangements to have the it delivered to your stateroom. It would be wise to stop by the tent to verify that the rented scooter has been delivered to your stateroom.

They also have additional scooters and/or wheelchairs that can be rented on the spot (as available).  The employee will give you a quick operating lesson and info regarding the battery.  The Port of Seattle website mentions specialneedsatsea, so check out their website.

Pier 91 staff can assist a passenger from their ground transportation to the rental tent via the pier's complimentary wheelchair service (and transport all the way  to check-in if the rented scooter has been delivered to the room).  The ship staff will then provide transport from check-in on-to the ship.

• 3 months later...
On 1/8/2019 at 2:01 PM, daju22 said:

Hello!  You will have a wonderful time in Alaska.  My husband used a scooter for 15 years to travel everywhere.  We mostly went on cruises.  We bought Pride Go Go scooters.  I could take the scooter apart and put the three parts in our car trunk.  He used the scooter to get on and off the ship in ports and ride all around the ship.  We also flew with the scooter everywhere.  The airlines will not charge you to take the scooter.  You can buy one instead of renting.  I suppose it depends on whether you need a bigger model than the Pride Go Go.  Good luck and have a great time.

thats exactly what i dont want to do. i dont want to take anything apart & carry it. 

I have rented one from Scootaround that will be delivered to our pre-cruise Seattle hotel. We were told to leave the scooter in our cabin at the end of the cruise. So we will need wheelchair assistance getting off the ship and to our airport shuttle, which is operated by the cruise line. Does anybody have a good suggestion on how best to handle that? Through Guest Services on the ship? We have limited mobility -- i.e., just cannot walk long distances or stand for a long time. 

If you have a TA they can request the wheelchair assistance before you leave and then you can confirm at guest services. Since you have the scooter you'll check in at the handicapped desk and be in the handicapped area until boarding (depending on when you arrive to board). On HAL they have a designated spot to meet up and then you are wheelchaired off. If that is too far to walk you can let them know and a wheelchair will be provided to get you to the meeting area. 

Karen

I rented a scooter for the first time for a cruise to Alaska from Seattle.  I rented from Special Needs at Sea, and they were there at the dock and gave me the scooter right there so I had it to get on the ship.  I've never actually had a scooter be in my cabin.  The other time I rented from Special Needs at Sea, it was a Disney cruise out of Port Canaveral and they had the scooter to give me when I go to the pier - not in the cabin.  (Probably because the scooter would not fit in the cabin)