Cost of a cruise

Fishkillbill

Details .......What are the specifics? I just booked the new to come NCL Encore for 7 days for my family of four. Family balcony, drink packages for wife and I. Also included three specialty dining dinners for two and 250 wifi minutes. Total was $3895. Similar cruise on the Symphony for the same week for a balcony was $4495. no alcohol package, no specialty dining, no wifi ........ Puts the symphony at close to 6K for that ..... Just saying you need to shop around as you are well aware. 

The only time you can compare prices on two different cruise lines is on the same day; you cannot do it at any other time as something will have changed.  It sounds as if you booked Royal Caribbean a while ago and want to compare with the price "today" on NCL.   Not comparing like with like.

Not to say a sailing here or there can’t be cheaper or more expensive; I am not cruise line loyal so every time we go cruise hunting I look at carnival, norwegian, Royal, and celebrity. So far the only line we haven’t cruised is royal because they are consistently the most expensive product when I search.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Fishkillbill said:

We are booked on a Royal Caribbean, 8 day,  cruise to Nassau. Just for kicks, I looked at the same cruise on Norwegian. It appears Norwegian is close to twice the price. Unless I'm doing something drastically wrong.  

don't know if you did something wrong but are you considering the class of ship and the exact itinerary. Even one more port can make a difference in price, Twice as much, no! Are there more perks with one cruise over the other? 

dates of checking can make a difference: today cruise A may be one price, tomorrow another. Of an airline fare: one line is $220 more than another but flies direct non stop: the other has a couple of stops. You are not giving enough details for anyone to give you an answer. And there is no such thing as an identical cruise. 

The pricing between lines varies a lot depending on when you are going. When we booked our last cruise, we had a specific week in January 2020 we were looking for. We were open to leaving from any port in Florida, wanted an OV for 4 people that was 7 nights. We're not brand loyal (currently have 4 cruises book on 3 different lines). Carnival was $2200 for an 8 day, NCL was $3000 with kids sail free (balcony same price as OV), RC was $3000 for Adventure, $4200 for Allure or $4800 for Harmony, Disney was $6500.

I booked the cruise on October 22, 2018. We leave on January 26, 2019 and return to NJ on February 3, 2019. We stop at Port Canaveral, Nassau and Cococay. We will be on the Anthem of the Sea. Balcony room, deck 8, mid ship. I didn't think I got any sort of bargain.

The cost is:

Cruise                   $1,503.32

Drinks                     $188.62 (soda)

Gratuities             $232.00

Excursion                $ 98.00 (in Nassau)

Parking                 $ 176.00 (Port Liberty)

$2197.94

I was looking at cruises, on Norwegian, out of New York. 

Not interested in perks. We don't drink. Don't need Wifi. Not interested in other dinners besides the buffet and Main Dining Room. No airfare, we live 60 miles north of Manhattan. Is this cost close to Norwegian?

Edited by Fishkillbill

The appropriate comparison would have been, what was the cost of a like NCL cruise at the time you booked your Anthem cruise in October, and comparing the same category of cabin type.  Otherwise, you are comparing the price of one cruise line you booked 3 months ago to the price of another cruise line today.  I can't even tell what the price of your Anthem cruise today if I booked because the only rooms available are suites. 

It looks like the closest comp to your 12 day cruise on Feb 3rd is a 14 day NCL cruise on Feb 3rd out of NY (Escape), but they are different lengths, go to different ports, with a different embarkation port, on probably different ship categories.  The only thing the same is they leave on the same day.

A 14 night cruise in a balcony category cabin with unlimited drinks, 4 night dining, some OBC, and $50 off per for port excursion for about $4300 seems like an ok deal.  I like the itinerary on your Anthem sailing better though.

• Like 1

I see Norwegian has a cruise leaving NY on Feb 17, 2019, going to the exact same places as we are going. It's only 7 days though. They must go faster.

Here is what I come up with:  (and it's a day less)

nor.JPG

Edited by Fishkillbill

Its a different itinerary than yours.  The Norwegian is a Bahamas cruise that stops there and then returns to NY.  Yours is a Southern Caribbean cruise - Barbados is one of my favorite ports.

That particular one Norwegian cruise is also over a Federal Holiday (Presidents Day).  Cruises over holidays tend to cost more.

There is an 11 night on Feb 25th that has a similar itinerary. 

Edited by Stealthdog
Update

28 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

Its a different itinerary than yours.  The Norwegian is a Bahamas cruise that stops there and then returns to NY.  Yours is a Southern Caribbean cruise - Barbados is one of my favorite ports.

That particular one Norwegian cruise is also over a Federal Holiday (Presidents Day).  Cruises over holidays tend to cost more.

There is an 11 night on Feb 25th that has a similar itinerary. 

Not sure what you mean about Barbados.

trav.JPG

23 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Does the Royal cruise have a balcony that faces the water?  Some of their ships have balconies that face the interior of the ship and they cost less.

Yes, I don't think the Anthem of the Seas has any inside balconies.

Never mind - I misread your post.  Thought you said you were leaving on Feb 3rd. :)

Comparing prices between cruises when one is sailing over a Holiday weekend and one isn't won't be a good comparison though.  Sometimes cruises over holidays almost double in cost.

Edited by Stealthdog

In that case - it looks like you got a good deal in October for your cruise.  Cruise prices change weekly.  Current quotes for balconies for the 23 Feb sailing of the Anthem with the same itinerary are $2024.32 (category 6D) to $2146.32 (category 8D).  Looks to be a little cheaper than the Norwegian you are looking at.

You probably saved close to $1000 by booking in October. :) 

4 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

In that case - it looks like you got a good deal in October for your cruise.  Cruise prices change weekly.  Current quotes for balconies for the 23 Feb sailing of the Anthem with the same itinerary are $2024.32 (category 6D) to $2146.32 (category 8D).  Looks to be a little cheaper than the Norwegian you are looking at.

You probably saved close to $1000 by booking in October. 🙂

I guess I did all right. I'm not usually that lucky.

I should look at Norwegian four months out.

6 hours ago, Fishkillbill said:

I booked the cruise on October 22, 2018. We leave on January 26, 2019 and return to NJ on February 3, 2019. We stop at Port Canaveral, Nassau and Cococay. We will be on the Anthem of the Sea. Balcony room, deck 8, mid ship. I didn't think I got any sort of bargain.

The cost is:

Cruise                   $1,503.32

Drinks                     $188.62 (soda)

Gratuities             $232.00

Excursion                $ 98.00 (in Nassau)

Parking                 $ 176.00 (Port Liberty)

$2197.94

I was looking at cruises, on Norwegian, out of New York. 

Not interested in perks. We don't drink. Don't need Wifi. Not interested in other dinners besides the buffet and Main Dining Room. No airfare, we live 60 miles north of Manhattan. Is this cost close to Norwegian?

Aren't the cruises out of NY on NCL 14 night cruises? Ours on Jan 20 is a 14 night. You have to compare everything, number of days, cabin category, itinerary, and so on. I have cruised RCC, CCL, Celebrity, and NCL. I find NCL the best deal, as I live in CT, so I don't have to fly. I guess it's basically a crap shoot. Enjoy your cruise though 🙂

6 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

The appropriate comparison would have been, what was the cost of a like NCL cruise at the time you booked your Anthem cruise in October, and comparing the same category of cabin type.  Otherwise, you are comparing the price of one cruise line you booked 3 months ago to the price of another cruise line today.  I can't even tell what the price of your Anthem cruise today if I booked because the only rooms available are suites. 

It looks like the closest comp to your 12 day cruise on Feb 3rd is a 14 day NCL cruise on Feb 3rd out of NY (Escape), but they are different lengths, go to different ports, with a different embarkation port, on probably different ship categories.  The only thing the same is they leave on the same day.

A 14 night cruise in a balcony category cabin with unlimited drinks, 4 night dining, some OBC, and $50 off per for port excursion for about $4300 seems like an ok deal.  I like the itinerary on your Anthem sailing better though.

I’m confused.  Their cruise is not 12 days, it is 8 days.

2 hours ago, Fishkillbill said:

I guess I did all right. I'm not usually that lucky.

I should look at Norwegian four months out.

I agree that the time at which you are looking is the biggest factor. There’s a world of difference between prices 4 months out vs 3 weeks out. Can be way higher if the cruise is selling well or way lower of the cruise isn’t.

I was always big on Vegas vacations.....Id fool myself with great deals ($800 for two for a week with air) but food, drinks, rental car, gambling....Id throw in $3k plus......booked the Bliss after seeing a crazy deal online- it wasn't even done yet, but $500 apiece for a balcony room (9/29-10/5 Vancouver to LA repositioning cruise with unlimited bar thrown in seemed cheap, and gave it the shot)...got our airfare cheap $380 to Vancouver for both and $360 from LA to Philly for both....now I added a great hotel pre cruise in Vancouver, incidentals, etc....and really thought we had a good overall deal vs Vegas....we ate and drank better, had a great time, saw many things we never had the opportunity to and met wonderful people on the cruise...within 10 hrs after coming home, booked my next-with the air, drinks, specialty dining, transfers, insurance , taxes, etc even under that price (with a balcony cabin)….Ill go back to Vegas again but I have to say the cruise bug bit and just think overall a way better value.

• Like 2